What cartridges need for Canon i950

aman74

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy some aftermarket refills and I noticed at megatoners they only sell 4 cartridges for this 6 ink printer. It seems they just don't sell the "photo" inks. Should I just get two of the regular magenta and cyan and just use those in the photo spot? I'm not concerned with top notch photo quality right now.

Anyone use megatoner's before? I used to use inkgrabber, but I heard about this place and it's much cheaper.

Any recommendations on where to purchase are appreciated.

Thanks

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Use the photo cartridges, in the photo cartridge slots, as you will ruin the print head eventually using regular cartridges. The ink sets are different

aman74

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ok, so are these not available at some aftermarket places then? It seems odd that there are only 4 listed at megatoners.

Also, I'm doing some more research into this and there's alot of info out there.

I was looking on Neil Slade's site and he was recommending G&G ink or OA100 ink. Inkgrabber doesn't specify what they sell, but in the past I have received G&G from them. Does anyone know what they sell now and where do you get the OA100 ink, I don't see a thing about it on Inkgrabber, nor do I see any refill item's at inkgrabber, just ink carts, at least for the i950.

I don't mind doing some research, but all this is very hard to nail down when it's just bits and pieces of incomplete info.

Where do you guy's go for BCI-6 carts and refill ink?

How about for Epson stuff. I have a CX3810

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Are you sure Neil recommends OA100 ink cartridges? I have used them before and they are not worth the money if you want real photo colors.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I bought empty Canon BCI-6 (and BCI-3e) cartridges on eBay. I see there are some available right now. You can use BCI-3e (color and photo black) as substitutes for BCI-6, they are physically identical.

I get my InkTec ink in 1 liter bottles from inktec.com but if you want small quantities you can get them from inkjetcartridge.com.

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Do you want to refill? or Do you want to buy compatibles? And what area of the globe do you reside?

aman74

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
leo8088 said:
Are you sure Neil recommends OA100 ink cartridges? I have used them before and they are not worth the money if you want real photo colors.
He talks about OA100 along with G&G, but he may be referring to refill ink and not cartridges. It's hard to tell, he has a wealth of information, but it's laid out in a way that makes it hard to get the info.

aman74

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
I bought empty Canon BCI-6 (and BCI-3e) cartridges on eBay. I see there are some available right now. You can use BCI-3e (color and photo black) as substitutes for BCI-6, they are physically identical.

I get my InkTec ink in 1 liter bottles from inktec.com but if you want small quantities you can get them from inkjetcartridge.com.
Ok, I'll look into that, although I did hear that there are issues with BCI-3e blacks.

aman74

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
tigerwan said:
Do you want to refill? or Do you want to buy compatibles? And what area of the globe do you reside?
Well, I'm not sure. I think I'd like to refill, but my current G&G cartridges are probably 2 years old so I was thinking I would have to get new carts first since the sponges might be too old?

I'm in the US.

So I was thinking I would find out what the best carts to get are and then find the best ink to get, but this is turning out to be hard to figure out.

Also, I don't really know how drill the holes and plug and all that. I looked in the FAQ here and was surprised to see it wasn't covered. Is there a place I can go for a tutorial or something?

Not sure if there is a PM function here or not, but if someone is willing I'd like to converse through email or chat or phone or whatever to get this figured out.

I need to clean my print head and stuff as well so it's a bit overwhelming. Not to mention I need to figure out the toner situation on my inkjet too.

Thanks to all for the help so far!

-anthony