wear of the printheads

INKJET ARTIST

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP 345
The thing are not as simple as it sounds.
You have to knew that the most consumer Canon printers do have 2 - 3 nozzle rows for particular color channel. These rows are different in color intensity or in droplet size. Smaller a droplet the lighter color.
If you go to the best mode then driver shifts primary usage from one droplet size to the other for the same color on paper. That means it is stacking droplets over previous one and in the multi pass way you get the same color but BETTER resolution.

If you go to silent or best resolution mode you will give print head more time for cooling but in the same way you are going to over load an new raw of heaters. So you are turning in an closed loop

Only way to prevent this is that you regularly refill to full your cartridges and check real ink flow in this cartridges. In that case fully refiled ink is used as some kind of heat exchanger. And a heat generated buy inkjet heater is dispersed in ink in ink cartridge.

So if the ink lever is low or you have disabled ink level and you want to empty some ink to the last droplet then you are on the best way to ruin your print head since there is no ink that is going to collect and transfer extensive heat to cartridge.
Same goes to the case if ink flow is low because of trapped air or heavy ink component in sponge in some refillable cartridge after a couple of refill.
For these reasons Epson is by fare better choice

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
In that case fully refiled ink is used as some kind of heat exchanger. And a heat generated buy inkjet heater is dispersed in ink in ink cartridge.
Has any forum member done a run of printing, removed a cartridge and noted the cartridge, or ink outlet sponge, was warm?

INKJET ARTIST

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP 345
No the carts don’t get hot, it’s all imaginary... :confused:

You have not made an right test
Just make an A4 full black sample and print 50 pages in succession.
If your printhead survive that test you would knew what I am talking
I have made that test on disposable BC 02 cartridges. And if failed at 40 th page and a cartridge has been hot like some lately cooked eg.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
And if failed at 40 th page and a cartridge has been hot like some lately cooked eg.
The object of this forum is to try to prevent head failure and not promote it, and twin cartridge printers are completely different, if the head fails you just buy a new cartridge at no loss, but most of the problems we deal with here are for individual heads and cartridges, which are more expensive to replace...

INKJET ARTIST

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP 345
The object of this forum is to try to prevent head failure and not promote it, and twin cartridge printers are completely different, if the head fails you just buy a new cartridge at no loss, but most of the problems we deal with here are for individual heads and cartridges, which are more expensive to replace...
Do you relay think that someone is going to buy an new printer with a new printhead and made such endurance test just to support objects of this forum.
No for these test we do need some kind of white mouses. And BC 2 is perfect white mouse for testing various inkjet formulation and inks. No one wants them any more And they are very toughly made. And every cartridge has it own aluminum heat exchanger

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Do you relay think that someone is going to buy an new printer with a new printhead and made such endurance test just to support objects of this forum.
Members of this forum have performed extraordinary tests in the past to advance knowledge with printers, print heads and cartridges new or dear to them. Has anyone done your specific test... I do not recall. Now your experience is added to the forum knowledge. Maybe someone else will try testing your findings and help corroborate your information.

The situation with the OP requires a logical, step wise approach in order to rule out the simple-to-correct things first -- the cartridge. If you believe your paper towel daubing test is sufficient then so be it. However, it is not the forum consensus, though your recommendation is part of a diagnostic algorithm already appreciated by the forum for a different set of circumstances.

We are open to new paradigms, but they need to be replicated by others and shown to have credibility for the specific issue at hand. A daub test for presence of ink in the ink outlet sponge is insufficient proof of cartridge ink flow reliability in OP's situation. I and others have already witnessed this fact on more than one occasion. Flushing and refilling, using a known working cartridge, or using a new cartridge is the proper step to rule out cartridge malfunction that can occur for multiple reasons.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The object of this forum is to try to prevent head failure and not promote it
:thumbsup

However, we've had people screw something or other up while testing in the interest of science, from bricking printers trying out Service Tools, to burning out print heads, to disasters with CISS on Canons, to destroying cartridges figuring out ways to refill or autopsying one to understand the innards better.

Whether explorers, scientists, curious or just plain foolish, they shared their stories and images with the forum in a collaborative effort for the benefit of all. :bow

INKJET ARTIST

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP 345
Members of this forum have performed extraordinary tests in the past to advance knowledge with printers, print heads and cartridges new or dear to them. Has anyone done your specific test... I do not recall. Now your experience is added to the forum knowledge. Maybe someone else will try testing your findings and help corroborate your information.

The situation with the OP requires a logical, step wise approach in order to rule out the simple-to-correct things first -- the cartridge. If you believe your paper towel daubing test is sufficient then so be it. However, it is not the forum consensus, though your recommendation is part of a diagnostic algorithm already appreciated by the forum for a different set of circumstances.

We are open to new paradigms, but they need to be replicated by others and shown to have credibility for the specific issue at hand. A daub test for presence of ink in the ink outlet sponge is insufficient proof of cartridge ink flow reliability in OP's situation. I and others have already witnessed this fact on more than one occasion. Flushing and refilling, using a known working cartridge, or using a new cartridge is the proper step to rule out cartridge malfunction that can occur for multiple reasons.

Would you like one more test in this particular issue.
Yellow channel is working. Right?
Then all what you need to do is to exchange CHIP between Yellow and Magenta cartridge. And put these two cartridge accordingly.
Plain and simple.
That test result would tell you more than all the words we have used already

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
It seems in my last post I have conflated two different threads, this thread about print heads and the other about someone with missing Cyan and Magenta. I guess I reached my limit for the day on keeping threads separate when posting to the same member on both. :confused:

Then all what you need to do is to exchange CHIP between Yellow and Magenta cartridge. And put these two cartridge accordingly.
Certainly would add information, but, what if there is a chip failure? You are removing and reapplying the chip which could cause damage. It is also a PITA. And, again, chip swapping does not fix ink starvation. Why not remove nearly all uncertainty with cartridge failure first? (Canon OEM new cartridges can have a rare chip failure out of the box)

I suppose if you were not going to spend any more money, or have access to another cartridge, or access to refilling supplies then this would be a logical step. This is the beauty of working on your own printer. You get to choose what you think is the logical or preferable step.