Waterproof Inks (Maybe Epson WP-4595 MFC)

jack in the uk

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am looking for waterproof ink for this printer (any maybe couple others), Epson also do the same WP inky in mono the printer is just the same but mono not colour MFC as is the wp-4595

Epson ink is waterproof as such just not rub , smudge resistant

Can any one help please

I am London UK based

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
jack in the uk said:
I am looking for waterproof ink for this printer (any maybe couple others), Epson also do the same WP inky in mono the printer is just the same but mono not colour MFC as is the wp-4595

Epson ink is waterproof as such just not rub , smudge resistant

Can any one help please

I am London UK based
Why dont you look up the many Epson printers that use pigment ink, this ink is water proof but unfortunately the paper isnt..

jack in the uk

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Hat
Thanks for the info - i have
cartrages
C = T7012
Y = T7014
M = T7013
K = T7011

Laser is waterproof / rub / smudge proof on the same paper... as tested with x yesterday
The papers kinda ok just need the ink to be set fast

New Epson ink is water resistant (kinda proof) if you roll water over it, but it just ant fixed to rub like laser bonding

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
This depends entirely on the media you print on. While the ink may say water resistant, plain copy paper will fall apart even if the ink doesn't run. Better papers will take longer to fall apart, but none of them are designed for water resistance. You would have to laminate it to use it outdoors or in wet areas. I've bought "waterproof" 8.5 x 11 labels but they were only waterproof if you didn't touch them, they would rub off if you did. The only media I've ever found that is truly waterproof that can be printed on with an inkjet printer is Sihl 3988 aqueous vinyl and aftermarket Epson pigment inks, which I've left soaking in a cup of water with no running. You can still rub it off if you try really hard, but not easily like the labels were. Otherwise you will probably need waterproof laser labels and a color laser printer.

jack in the uk

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yep seems laser the only way to go -- as does not rub smudge off even if soaked

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Just got curious, why do you need not laminated waterproof printouts?

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I use Claria type third party dye based inks and Costco Glossy paper and I can print a full color page and moments later put it under the kitchen water faucet. It surprised me the first time I did this and I even took a wet paper towel and lightly scrubbed the print and there was absolutely no sign of running or scrub marks, the print was as before I did it. I think the paper has a great deal to do with this and I think the paper I use has an epoxy film on it. I've done this to show friends many times.

jack in the uk

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
hey guys thanks for the info, loads good ideas to chase up

I guess my first aim is to secure text only on normal 80gms paper standard....

ink-solutions

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson,Canon,Hp,Brother
Are you saying that i can use dye ink an not have fade an water problem if i use a good paper ..., what if i should use epson paper what will happen ?

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
While Epson's dye inks and photo papers have very good water resistance, such that someone with damp fingers from holding an iced tea or even a spill may not hurt them, there is no way they are going to be waterproof or fade resistant if you taped it to an outdoor wall exposed to the elements for more than a week or so.

What, exactly, are you planning on doing with your prints that requires it to be waterproof? If you are planning on making signs and bumper stickers you will not get very far with a dye based printer. If you are selling photographs and other prints, I'm pretty sure "being waterproof" isn't really something your customer would even expect.