Watch out when refilling CLI-8s

ltsang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Dear members,
today I have to purchase a new Genuin Canon CLI-8 yellow (Cad$22, nearly 1/2 the price of the printer) after refilling the whole set on my ip3300. After replaced all the cartriges, they brinked as usual, and when I closed the cover, the printer gave me a message to replace the cartridge that did not light up. I opened the cover, the carriage moved to the center, and yes, the yellow cartridge stoped brinking and the red led was off. I have to replace the yellow cartridge and then the printer worked again. I suspect the chip on the cartridge must have been zapped by me touching the chip while refilling without noticing. Anybody have the same experience and get anyway to avoid this happening? The cartridge was working before the refill.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi itsang,

Did you tried cleaning the chip with a pencil eraser ? This should eliminate dirt and greasy stains on the contacts. That's the reason -even you can refill those chipped canon cartridges- I prefer non chipped versions of the printers. There are a lot of people complaining about messages pop up on their computer saying that for example 2 yellow cartridges are installed in the printer (and you certainly DO know, this is not true !!!) or one cartridge has run out of ink (and still contains 75 % ink in the ink compartment) and other stuff linked with faulty chips. The amount of complaints about this is really annoying to hear and beyond the fault tolerance of producing faulty chips you might aspect from a company like Canon. And I don't think the shop is willing to exchange a faulty cartridge, since this is considered to be a consumable. Sometimes complaining to Canon helps.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Is your printer still under warranty? If it is you can call Canon tech support and ask for free replacement of the yellow cli8 cartridge. The printer probably detected a parity error or something like that when reading the chip. Well, the error actually happened at the time data was last writen into the chip. The printer probably writes data intot the chip all the time and reads it also very frequently. If the printer wrote data and left bad data in the chip it will reject it later when it detects bad data from reading it. This is entirely a hardware bug of Canon printers. You deserve a replacement cartridge. If you call and if the printer is still under warranty they will send you a new one. Apparently after refilling the printer wrote some data that somehow left an error in it. Did it have anything to do with refilling? I really don't think so. I have a dozen used refilled CLI8s and never had a problem.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have read that you cannot refill and replace all 4 at the same time..at least one of the cartridges must have a viable chip in order for the printer to print. Anyone know more about this??

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
That's not true: as concerning to empty chip warnings, all chips can be disabled. After all chips have been disabled you can still keep printing, but no more ink level status. The only problem might be a faulty chip on one or more of the chips.

ltsang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for all you responded. First for pharmacist, yes, the first thing I do was to clean the contacts, and I did put the same cartridge in my 4300 (another printer) and it also threw it out.

For Manuchau, I always fill up my printers all cartridges at the same time when I find one of them is near empty. That goes with both Epsons or Canon printers, and no problem so for.

And for Tin Ho, My printer is only one month old, but I cannot see how I can sent the cartridge back to Canon with a little hole being drilled for refilling and ask for a replacement. If I never filled the cartridge before, then I think I can ask for a replacement.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Manuchau said:
I have read that you cannot refill and replace all 4 at the same time..at least one of the cartridges must have a viable chip in order for the printer to print. Anyone know more about this??
It was a rumour that did the rounds for a while but it turned out to be a rare occurrence.

I specifically asked the question over a year ago and the answer was pretty ambivalent. Since then I've had over 8 different Canon iP4200, MP500, iP4300, iP5200, MP830 and even an iX4000 and they've all continued to work after the last cartridge declared itself empty and was reset.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
ltsang said:
And for Tin Ho, My printer is only one month old, but I cannot see how I can sent the cartridge back to Canon with a little hole being drilled for refilling and ask for a replacement. If I never filled the cartridge before, then I think I can ask for a replacement.
Canon does not ask you to send the cartridge back to them. They would have to pay for the shipping for you. They will send you a new one. But they will ask you to do some testing by telling how to on the phone. They will find out if your printer is still under warranty from the testing. If it is then they will send you a new cartridge. I don't know how they determine if warranty will apply. But if you bought the printer a month ago and you have a receipt to prove that there is very little doubt you will receive a new one from Canon.

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
i have yet to refill my 4200, but there was talk earlier that once refilled the ip4200 would print slower, does anyone know if this is true or is it canon just trying to get people to refrain from refilling

tissouth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Try going into printer preferences,maintenance, and disable the ink monitor for your yellow cartridge. Then turn the printer off and back on.