WARNING - Photoshop Elements 13 - Avoid Latest Update

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Be warned the latest update for Photoshop Elements 13 to 13.1 removes the facility to print with no colour management. Even if you switch to "Printer Manages Colour" and then set colour management to "none", Element switches you back to Elements manages colour. You can't escape to no colour management.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
You can actually print without color management by assigning for example AdobeRGB1988.icc to the file and print with this profile again with BPC on. This way the print will be done WITHOUT color management. So in this case double profiling will neutralize it.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Why are Adobe blocking no colour management? I can't see any benefit to them, it is more likely to turn people away from PS.

Interesting idea pharmacist, but I can't see doing that every time you want to print without CM.

I see the Adobe website says:-

"The option for No Color Management is no longer listed in the Color Handling pop-up menu in the Photoshop CS5 Print dialog box. Use the Adobe Color Printer Utility application to print your targets without color management applied."

Last edited:

RogerB

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro3880
You can actually print without color management by assigning for example AdobeRGB1988.icc to the file and print with this profile again with BPC on. This way the print will be done WITHOUT color management. So in this case double profiling will neutralize it.
I'm not sure about PSE, but even this option is not available in CS6. Adobe no longer let you use a printer profile that is the same as the document profile. Even when this workaround was avialble there was a lot of debate about whether it worked reliably. ACPU, for all its faults, is stil the easiest way to print targets.

As for why Adobe removed the NCM option, I think it has a lot to do with Apple. OSX has been gradually dumbed down, especially in the colour management area, supposedly to make things less confusing for users. Shame about the people that know what they are doing....

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Yes, the ACPU does work after a fashion, but it tends to try to take control and change your selected printer settings.

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I have just reprinted an old profile tiff file of a set of patches and compared it with the older print that I used to create the profile. The older print has been stored for 2 and a half months away from light etc. but the difference between the two prints is startling. The new one is very much darker than the original and will have to lighten up a great deal over the next few days if I am to believe that they are both printed under the same conditions.

Last edited:

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
ACPU does not work for CMYK, and does work for RGB. On windows ACPU does not set margins correct so the print is positioned wrong on the page so you cant read it with spectro unless you design target in such way to not have patches removed by cropping that occurs.

If you use RGB controlled printer, you can use PhotoFiltre 7 (free app) to print in same way photoshop does or elments. This PhotoFiltre 7 has even better positioning on the page tools than photoshop.

If you print using CMYK controlled printer, you can use old version of photoshop like CS4, if you don't have it then google for "Photoshop Micro CS4" is a build by Russians takes 50MB to download and 300mb to install. This is full app not portable so your printer will be detected and work OK. App requires no registration nonsense whatsoever.

If you want to test how ACPU works print to PDF printer and examine results by comparing to photoshop without color management etc. etc. There is no need to waste paper, ink and additional deviations etc.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Thanks Smile, that's a lot of useful information, I'll work my way through it and see which method suits me best. Looking at the ACPU print this morning, it still looks very different from the original.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I'm glad to be able to help :)

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Two days later the print is clearly showing a different balance of colours, not just darker colours. This means Adobe have done something destructive and ACPU doesn't work either.

I un-installed Elements 13.1 and installed Elements 13.0 from the original disk, but "no colour management" remains missing so Adobe are clearly being very aggressive on this deletion and have hidden some fundamental change. Why?