WARNING - Lexmark

EASteadman

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Even though I have been using Lexmark printers since 1998, four of them (two I wore out and two I gave away to relatives just starting out with a computer), this last purchase has been a NIGHTMARE! I bought an X2600 which didn't last a week before it quit. Returning it to Lexmark, they substituted an X2650.

Then I learned that the printer will not allow me to refill their cartridges. They claim, on the packaging of the #14 cartridges that a #14A cartridge can be obtained from Lexmark that does not require the purchaser to "recycle" the cartridge through their "Return Program". In two months, I have yet to be able to purchase a #14A from the Lexmark website.

My per copy cost has risen from an approximate high of 8 cents a copy to a whopping THIRTY-SEVEN cents a copy under this new process.

Being curious, I wrote to HP and they replied in writing to me that even though they did not like customers refilling and reusing their cartridges, they did not now nor did they plan to create programs in the future with which to prevent their customers from doing so.

I've noticed that at our local Wal-Mart, HP cartridges with a 100 print capacity are now selling for $16.00. The Lexmark #14 is selling for $21.50 and I'm lucky to get 65 copies out of one. Plainly, this "Return Program" by Lexmark is a gimmick to sell to the public REFILLED cartridges as new ones.

The only reasonable thing I know to do is once I can get myself financially straightened out is to take a sledgehammer to this Lexmark and buy a comparable HP to replace it. My religion prevents me from selling or giving it away and thereby contribute to Lexmark's Corporate greed.

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
Have you consodered Canon. Their cartridges are very easy to refill, even the chipped ones, and the print quality on mine is better than I ever got off either of the two HP's I had.

EASteadman

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you, billkunert, for your advice. But, with this experience, I am afraid of "chipped" cartridges and why I have decided on an HP. And, after looking up their prices on Wal-Mart, could have originally purchased an HP for about $8 more than I paid for the Lexmark I'm having so much trouble with.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
But HP cartridges also have chips dont they?

EASteadman

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
But I was assured by their Technical people that it does not stop the printer from operating or a customer from reusing an old cartridge. They don't like it but have no process by which to prevent customers from doing so, or so they said.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Steadman - The Canon chips don't prevent you from refilling. You lose the ink monitoring function, but the carts are clear and very easy to check for ink levels. They are extremely easy to refill. they can be reconditioned after several refills by purging them (info on this site). You would also lose the warranty by refilling, but the savings in ink compensate with the first two sets of refills. I don't know about the HP's, but I've read that you have to "play tricks" with some to get the printer to accept the refilled carts that have chips. There are a few chip resetters on the market for Canons, and the price is coming down to a reasonable level. With a chip resetter you will not lose the ink monitor function.

EASteadman

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I will most certainly keep this in mind, Inkjet Master. Been in the Graphics Industry since the late 60's and all these personal print suppliers seem to be enriching their "bottom line" by gouging their customers; instituting a per copy fee by an inkjet cartridge manipulation accomplished through programming. I am so blessed to have found this Forum and see it as my only salvation in this new world of corporate greed. Maybe there is a Canon copier in my future.