Warning - Error in some canon service manuals

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Due to an error regarding service mode operations in some Canon service manuals I have accidentally erased EE-PROM info on a Pixma 5200 and made an unwanted ink absorber reset on a Pixma 4200.

The service manuals for Pixma's 3000,4000 and 5000 correctly lists a 5 step procedure to perform service mode operations, but the service manuals for Pixma's 4200, 4300, 4500 and 5200 and ix4000/5000 are missing the very important item 5. Other manuals might have the same error. It looks like manuals for the PGI-5/CLI-8 printers are affected.

The missing item 5 should read:

5) After the function (menu) is selected, press the Power button. The LED lights in green, and the selected function is performed. (When the operation completes,
the printer returns to the menu selection mode automatically.)

This means that after you have completed the first four steps, the power button now serves as an enter button, executing the command you have selected with the Resume/Cancel button.

But when you miss the info in item 5 and complete the first four items nothing happens, the printer is waiting for your selection and execute command. If you hit the power button now, no harm is done, no command is selected, and the printer switches off. If you try randomly pushing buttons after the first four steps and hit the power button at some time, then what command have you accidentally selected and executed? Sadly the printers have no undo function in service mode.

I wondered why I had no problems with service mode on Pixma 4000, but had problems with the Pixma 4200 and 5200. I found out by comparing the manuals.

I have put a text file with a warning in the folder containing my Canon service manuals, but does anybody know a freeware program to edit PDF files ?

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
PeterBJ I use Nitro PDF Reader 2 which is a very useful tool and is a free download. To edit files you may need their Pro. version. Hope this helps.

I note you seem to be experienced in looking into service manuals, I have error wrong print head on my Pixma MP760 because I pulled back a sheet of paper going in crooked, try to avoid paper stuck everywhere. I cannot possibly see what that has to do with the print head. I posted a request but no ideas yet. but currently cannot access anything, also looking at these re-set CD's on E-bay

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
barfl2
I have error wrong print head on my Pixma MP760 because I pulled back a sheet of paper going in crooked,
try to avoid paper stuck everywhere. I cannot possibly see what that has to do with the print head.
I posted a request but no ideas yet. but currently cannot access anything
You could try removing your ink cartridges and print head from your printer
Then power off the printer and unplug the USB cable and reboot your computer.

Then plug in the USB cable and turn on the printer and see whats happens,
but dont put back in the print head till your paper jam error is resolved..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi barfl2

Thanks for the tip about the Nitro PDF Reader. The site list a "type text anywhere" feature, maybe that is just what I am looking for. I will give it a try.

The Reset CD is probably the Canon Service Tool needed for service mode operations on newer Canon printers using the PGI-520/CLI-521 and probably the PGI-525/CLI-526 cartridges. It has no use on a BCI-3/6 printer like the MP 760, so don't spend money on that CD.

In case you do not already have the service manual, Google found it here: http://soft-manufaktura.ru/manual/hp/mp760sm.pdf

This manual is very different from the manuals for the stand-alone BCI-3/6 printers. Instead of service mode it has a factory mode and operations are different from those used on Pixma 4000. I have no experience with the MP760.

I doubt that clearing info stored in the printer will clear the error, like The Hat I also think that a sensor might be blocked by a piece of paper or might have come out of proper position.

The wrong printhead message usually means the printhead has become defective, but I don't understand how a stuck piece of paper could ruin the printhead. If you have not already done so, you could try cleaning the contacts on the back of the printhead and the contacts in the printhead carriage with a piece of kitchen paper moistened with isopropyl alcohol.

Good luck with the troubleshooting.
Peter

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
The Hat Thanks for ideas will give it a go, I have already tried turning power on and off, taking print head out but that did'nt work. There is not any paper inside I pulled it back just after it started to feed so no torn paper inside. It seems odd if you have a jam and have to clear it you do not expect to get a print head error. No reply from Canon support yet.

PeterBJ Thanks for info, have a copy of the manual, but a bit too technical for me. In any event my problem/error message is not mentioned. They usually give a No. If they advise putting a NEW print head in I would be worried I might get exactly the same message. The Nitro PDF is a very useful program with extensive features, hope it helps

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
barfl2 The Hat Thanks for ideas will give it a go, I have already tried turning power on and off, taking print head out but that did'nt work.
There is not any paper inside I pulled it back just after it started to feed so no torn paper inside.
It seems odd if you have a jam and have to clear it you do not expect to get a print head error. No reply from Canon support yet.
Also have at look at this thread and see if it helps you in any way..:)

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=49621#p49621

inkoholic

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Really clunky controls in service mode on my MP610, which may be affected as well. No clues on the display and using the power and cancel buttons to navigate... Even ancient DOS seems more user friendly.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi inkoholic

I found service manual and parts catalog for the MP610, I posted the links in the Service manuals thread: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=49822#p49822

I haven't studied the service manual in detail, but at a quick glance it looks like it has the same error as the other manuals mentioned, i.e. missing the very important step 5.

For comparison you find the manual for Pixma 4000 with the correct procedure here: http://www.timtaylor.net/tech/iP4000 Service Manual.pdf and the manual for Pixma 4200 with the error here: http://telefon.unas.cz/cannon/Canon-20Servicemanual_ip4200.pdf

Maybe this cumbersome procedure and the errors in the manuals is the reason Canon developed the Windows GUI service tool for newer printers? Maybe the manuals also caused problems for Canon service technicians?

My guess is that the error crept into some manuals for PGI-5/CLI-8 printers because of the layout of the Pixma 4000 manual. The important item 5 is located after the table of service mode operations, so it might easily be overlooked when doing copy and paste when writing the newer manuals.

I tried the Nitro Reader suggested by barfl2 and it allows me to add text, but you need a blank space to do it, else it writes on top of other text making both texts unreadable. there is not enough blank space in my manuals, so it didn't work for me. It looks like one can add the missing item 5 on page 28/43 in the MP610 service manual though :)

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
The Hat Well I am looking at this blasted Mp760 thinking it looks like a beached whale. Tried all your great ideas to no avail. The original Cd was not compatible with Windows 7 had to go to the Canon site and download the various parts 1 at a time, but the total GB was very little compared to the original Cd which totalled 500GB for everything. Your suggestions to date much appreciated.

To summarise deleted old software, downloaded new, also gave the head a clean in window cleaner, dried it out on a warm radiator. Installed it with the carts, the error came up the same then went to auto/manual alignment, selected no it then went to the copy page which is a step further than last time. I tried from the computer to get it to print a nozzle check just came up with error and cannot communicate with the printer. Whilst on the copy page I cannot get anything else to work.If I shut it down and restart will get original error message again. Canon's E-mail support replied today after 3 days wait to advise sending it to their nearest service centre. As this is 60/70 miles away not exactly easy to drop off.whether the phone support is worth trying as a last resort I do not know

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
barfl2 said:
The Hat Well I am looking at this blasted Mp760 thinking it looks like a beached whale. Tried all your great ideas to no avail. The original Cd was not compatible with Windows 7 had to go to the Canon site and download the various parts 1 at a time, but the total GB was very little compared to the original Cd which totalled 500GB for everything. Your suggestions to date much appreciated.

To summarise deleted old software, downloaded new, also gave the head a clean in window cleaner, dried it out on a warm radiator. Installed it with the carts, the error came up the same then went to auto/manual alignment, selected no it then went to the copy page which is a step further than last time. I tried from the computer to get it to print a nozzle check just came up with error and cannot communicate with the printer. Whilst on the copy page I cannot get anything else to work.If I shut it down and restart will get original error message again. Canon's E-mail support replied today after 3 days wait to advise sending it to their nearest service centre. As this is 60/70 miles away not exactly easy to drop off.whether the phone support is worth trying as a last resort I do not know
I am not a great fan of sending the printer back to Canon service centre.
It cost me 180 for new cartridges, print head and P&P and I never got it back
from the Surry service centre not even a discount coupon either.

As I said this is one of these stupid errors that can fix themselves sometimes.
Try powering it off, remove the print head and turn the printer upside down and give it a good shake, it worth a try ..:ep