VP485 Label Printer - Ink Refills

Cargill

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi. I have had no success finding refillable cartridges for the VP485 professional inkjet label printer. Has anyone been able to do this, or in fact have a working CISS for the VP485? The cartridges are identical to HP18 and HP88 ones (although a lot more expensive), but the firmware/chip are obviously blocking these carts from working. Any assistance appreciated. I live in Australia (Melbourne).

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Cargill

Hi I think you should try Google for the HP 18 / 88 cartridges and see if there is a resetter available for them. If there is it might work on your cartridge. Then you would be able to refill your HP cartridges. Thats all I can suggest for now I know its much good luck.. :|

Cargill

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Hat

Thanks for the reply. I have not been able to use an HP cartridge, even with a reset (multiple-use) chip in it - the VP485 firmware seems to demand an original VP-badged cartridge/chip. There might be a re-setter out there that works on HP re-settable chips and works in the VP, but I can't find it via Google.

However I do have a work-around - refill the original VP cartridges at my local Cartridge World shop (at a quarter of the price of a new VP cart), and then use a small application running on the Desktop that tricks the driver to overlook the fact that the ink level is showing Empty. Main downside is that you have to monitor the ink levels manually (by weight) since the gauges are no longer working. But it prints happily enough - and I trust that the Cartridge World refill inks are good quality, and will do the same job as the VP/HP original carts did.

Cargill,
Melbourne Victoria

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Cargill
I was hoping that someone else might jump in with an answer to your problem as mine didnt amount to much. I am glad that you are able to print away with the refill cartridges. If cartridge world can do refills why dont you try it yourself and save even more. I know its a bit of a bummer with no ink monitoring but weighing the full cartridges works if youre careful. You could try:- rihac.com.au for refill ink good luck.. ;)

Cargill

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Okay - thanks Hat. I have in fact a Rihac just around the corner in my local High Street - I'll see what they say. I guess I want quality inks (not even sure what that means - do I want ones that come from Germany, USA, etc - rather than China). I don't even appreciate the difference between dye and pigment - and the impact on the VP485. Any assistance appreciated.

Regards, Cargill.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cargill

I dont think you can go wrong with Rihac, especially if they stock ink for the VP485. Have a talk to them and they should see you right mate.. :)

Cargill

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Hat

Just checked Rihac prices for dye ink online in Australia ... $A14.00 per 100ml, versus $A99.00 per 28ml for the VP485 original cartridges. If the ink is kosher for the VP (ie, German, US, Japan for the HP Pro Series), then that is a fantastic saving. Thanks a lot!

Regards, Cargill

kff

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
are you still refilling the vp485 cartridges successfully? Where did you get the software to trick the driver?

benhag

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hello Cargill,
Can you explain me where you have got the software to trick that driver ??

Cargill

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My apologies for being so late in posting a reply, but I have been experimenting and learning for some months.

As it happens - I seem not to need the software / chip to trick the VP485.

Firstly, I bought a gravity-fed 24-tinte CISS (from Germany), and it seemed to work well for a while, but then the print quality deteriorated markedly, and it seemed to me it was not up to the job in terms of ink delivery - particularly when you do 260mm x 80mm ink-heavy labels, as I do sometimes. So I then sought out another CISS which did incorporate the bladders (as per the genuine VP485/HP88 carts) - and now this new one works fine.

I bought it from a very helpful place called JPL Blank Media - here in Melbourne - and I find it excellent. I purchase bulk Inktec inks very cheaply, and my print quality remains at a high standard (certainly high enough for my clients' needs). With this CISS, there are the same pressure bladders in the system as VP originals, so the VP485 printheads are fed enough ink, even when doing heavy runs.

So far I have not required any software tricks - I have just placed original VP chip-heads onto the CISS carts, and it is working fine. The amber light on the VP stays on constantly, and all the ink fuel gauges show empty but it doesn't seem to matter. I'm very happy with it.

Hope that helps.

Latest posts