Very light user requires suggestions for clog-free all-in-one printer

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Mr K said:
I've just popped out to the nearest PC shop and the MP520 is indeed 445mm in width. I'll see if I can squeeze this in on the desk at home, the DCP 117C fitted perfectly with only a few cm spare on either side. Not bothered about print quality or dye based inks and it's only ever used for business on ordinary plain paper and not photo's.

Might also take the Brother apart again and see if I can reach the printheads. I'm assuming the printhead is the culprit here and that there's no blockage in the tube otherwise I think it'll be a lost cause.

One other thing I wanted to ask is do all printers clean their heads in the same way? I read somewhere that only Brother uses ink to keep the printhead wet by forcing ink through the nozzles whereas Canon and HP have a mechanism that just wipes the printhead clean.

Once again, many thanks for all the replies.
It's hard to be 100% accurate since I've not had to dig that deep into my epsons. Epsons use micropiezo which is what you describe your Brother as. Using gravity get the ink out, an ink station with a vacuum pump to suck on the head for cleaning. This is rather why I thought your Brother used a micropiezo printhead.
The ink station remains wet and provides a seal for the head. The Epson R200 had a rubber wiper that the printhead would slide across. I believe the Canon ip4000 used a wiper. I'm not sure about the printhead parking, but it's clear some protection is needed.

If your application is mainly plain paper, there is little reason to consider printers with higher resolution color since text resolution is the same. CD printing is a nice feature, and wifi is a nice feature esp if you wanted to put your printer elsewhere. I'd consider the MP620, but the mp520 will have better aftermarket ink support. The mp620 is "new" and the mp520 has aftermarket chips and a resetter.

Windoleen (windex) is close to a universal ink solvent as it tends to be the same as the base for ink, just without the dye.

Mr K

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Many thanks again for the info, the MP520 suits me well as I don't need high resolution, wifi or CD printing. It should just about squeeze onto the desk providng there's nothing sticking out from the side and the cost per page is the same as the Samsung laser (the Canon is actually cheaper for colour than the Samsung).

I think I'll have one more bash at trying to clean the 117C before it's ditched, as long as I can get to the printhead, I reckon it can be fixed. What I'm planning on doing is pulling the power during a test print so both the printhead and parking areas are exposed. When I took apart the Brother before, I got to the printhead but was then stumped and didn't want to try and force it to move by hand in case it broke. Is it safe to move the printhead manually though if required?

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Mr K said:
Is it safe to move the printhead manually though if required?
I don't know the brother, but it should be reasonably safe once the head is out of it's parking position. That's what I did on my old Epson r200, well, actually I found the release.

This is what I would do.

Do note that on the Canon there is a hidden cost for the printhead. It's rated at about 10,000 pages of various types of printing, which equals about 10 cartridge changes of each tank. Heads for me cost $50 or about 1/3 to 1/2 the value of the printer, and it's a good question whether to get a new head or buy a new printer.

While official end of life is 10 cartridge changes, reality is much higher, like 20-30. But without a doubt, a replacement head is less than a Brother.

Mr K

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
IGExpandingPanda said:
Mr K said:
Is it safe to move the printhead manually though if required?
I don't know the brother, but it should be reasonably safe once the head is out of it's parking position. That's what I did on my old Epson r200, well, actually I found the release.

This is what I would do.

Do note that on the Canon there is a hidden cost for the printhead. It's rated at about 10,000 pages of various types of printing, which equals about 10 cartridge changes of each tank. Heads for me cost $50 or about 1/3 to 1/2 the value of the printer, and it's a good question whether to get a new head or buy a new printer.

While official end of life is 10 cartridge changes, reality is much higher, like 20-30. But without a doubt, a replacement head is less than a Brother.
Many, many thanks for all the info IGExpandingPanda, you've been a great help!

I'll have one more try to clean the 117C before giving up, am away until the weekend but will post back here with the results.

Regards,

Mr K

Mr K

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well I finally managed to get to the 117 cleaning pad, pump station and parking pad by switching off the printer mid-print to expose the necessary bits. I saturated all three with an ammonia windolene solution, did a few power purges and cleaning cycles and left it all night. Tried it first thing this morning and magenta still refuses to print

:(

In the interests of eco-friendliness, is there anywhere that accepts inkjet printers for recycling or part exchange? Any suggestions as to what I should do with the DCP-117C?

Regards,

Mr K

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Mr K said:
Well I finally managed to get to the 117 cleaning pad, pump station and parking pad by switching off the printer mid-print to expose the necessary bits. I saturated all three with an ammonia windolene solution, did a few power purges and cleaning cycles and left it all night. Tried it first thing this morning and magenta still refuses to print
Well, you tried and a new head is the value of a new printer.

I don't know the UK, but there is craigslist in the UK. It may seem odd but I've given away free dead printers in past to others who claimed to need parts.