Vacuum fill using "maze part" or "exit port"

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Exit port is more easy to use but using maze part you keep natural flow of the filter one direction only.

I'm talking about CLI-8 BCI-6 type cartridges.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Have you seen my article with movies of vacuum refilling through the maze?

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/vacuum-fill-canon-cartridges.php

There are a couple good reasons to avoid vacuum refilling through the filter:

1) The flow rate is MUCH higher than the filter was designed for and could damage it.

2) The flow is in the wrong direction which could bring debris into the wrong side of the filter.

But the best reason to vacuum refill through the air vent (maze) is that you can repeat the process to get a really full cartridge. This is because you refill with the cartridge up-side-down which prevents any ink in the tank portion of the cartridge from escaping during the pump down process.

The down side is that you have to clear all that ink out of the maze which is a messy process.

I have only refilled BCI-6 and BCI-3e cartridges which do not have a chip. I doubt that you can keep the chip on the CLI-8 or PGI-5 from getting soaked in ink during vacuum refill whether you fill through the outlet port or the air vent (maze) port, so you will have to take measures to make sure it is thoroughly dry before you put the cartridge in the printer.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
ghwellsjr said:
Have you seen my article with movies of vacuum refilling through the maze?

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/vacuum-fill-canon-cartridges.php

There are a couple good reasons to avoid vacuum refilling through the filter:

1) The flow rate is MUCH higher than the filter was designed for and could damage it.

2) The flow is in the wrong direction which could bring debris into the wrong side of the filter.

But the best reason to vacuum refill through the air vent (maze) is that you can repeat the process to get a really full cartridge. This is because you refill with the cartridge up-side-down which prevents any ink in the tank portion of the cartridge from escaping during the pump down process.

The down side is that you have to clear all that ink out of the maze which is a messy process.

I have only refilled BCI-6 and BCI-3e cartridges which do not have a chip. I doubt that you can keep the chip on the CLI-8 or PGI-5 from getting soaked in ink during vacuum refill whether you fill through the outlet port or the air vent (maze) port, so you will have to take measures to make sure it is thoroughly dry before you put the cartridge in the printer.
Thanks, I'm designing a vacuum fill method to avoid any ink loss. So it should be zero ink waste vacuum fill method.
You need to make some adapters from plexiglass.

When I'm done and make sure it works I'll post my results.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Will your method fill many cartridges simultaneously or just one at a time?

I'd sure like to hear more details.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
ghwellsjr said:
Will your method fill many cartridges simultaneously or just one at a time?

I'd sure like to hear more details.
It will fill one cartridge as the container I'm making holds only 1 at a time. You can however make more containers and place them all in a vacuum jar to fill simultaneously.

The idea is most of us would use vacuum fill but drawback is you must have more than 1 cartridge because you waste ink.

I’m thinking to make 2 separate designs one being that you must glue together a container and the other to use pre made ones. So that it would be easier.

As ink cartridges and syringes are made from plastic that you can’t glue together it is really a drawback.

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
It is true you can't glue HDPE plastics but you can heat them and weld them together. I am not saying it is easy to do. But normally it is how it is done in the factory.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well my idea was to use an empty cartridge with removed top where the maze is and no sponge as ink container for the cartridge being refilled. But because it is very difficult to "glue" a tube to it and provide seal with the cartridge being refilled I still thinking how to simplify the design.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Let's assume for the moment that you can make anything you want. How do you plan to provide an air-tight connection from your ink supply to the cartridge you want to refill?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
ghwellsjr said:
Let's assume for the moment that you can make anything you want. How do you plan to provide an air-tight connection from your ink supply to the cartridge you want to refill?
I think I can use RTV silicone to make an air-tight connection. The best way is just to submerge the maze part into ink 100% seal and clamps needed.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You're not going to put any RTV on the cartridge to be filled, are you? I'm wondering how you plan to make an air/ink tight seal between the cartridge and the ink supply. I submerge my cartridges in ink which ends up wasting ink. Are you planning on just submerging your cartridge in a smaller container inside the vacuum chamber but otherwise doing the same thing I'm doing?