Using ICC profiles in common software

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
While this is for Epson (1400) specifically, it would be useful to discuss how to do it with other brands. While using Photoshop and Lightroom has a specific workflow to properly print with ICC profiles, how do we use them correctly with other software that uses the "default printer driver"? If one designs business cards in Microsoft Office Publisher or LibreOffice Draw, or a design out of Inkscape (though I generally don't print directly out of this one), do these programs have their own, unchangeable profile they apply to the print before sending it to the print driver? I have always used ICM -> Driver ICM (Basic) -> Show All Profiles and pick the profile my ink supplier provided, but the question is what are these programs (or any graphic program that doesn't have internal ICC management) using for the Input Profile? If you're printing out of Publisher or LibreOffice Draw it's not even an image file that you can embed a profile. Is it really using the Windows Color Management sRGB default profile? Or is it doing strange, unknowable things?

Most forums and ink suppliers default to assuming users are going to be printing photos out of Photoshop, but I'm curious if there is a correct method to use profiles outside of an Adobe workflow. I've never been disappointed in my prints, but I'm curious as to whether doing color management in other programs through the driver-only is really applying them correctly.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Do you have a reason to believe that the Windows color mgmt does not work when you assign an ICM profile to a printer in the extended driver settings ? Print an image with and w/o the ICM option active in the driver, and compare to a printout with PS with this same driver and icc-profile - and compare . This is all about output-printer profiles, not about input profiles you might use for a scanner.

internal ICC management) using for the Input Profile?
If you're printing out of Publisher or LibreOffice Draw it's not even an image file that you can embed a profile.
You might print to a PDF-file and assign a profile to it, even later with an PDF editor or print/convert to a .tiff file with an embedded icc-profile. It's not straightforward and some of such utilities are not free and I'm not up to date with those.