Using Epson inks on HP printers: help needed if the print heads use the same technology.

glprint

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hp OfficeJet Pro 8600
I have an old bottle of ink labeled as EPS118 compatible with Epson Stylus DX 4400 printers (maybe also used with Epson Stylus Office BX 300 F).

I was wondering if I could use it on my Hp OfficeJet Pro 8600: I've read other posts and in particular this one.

Does anyone know if the print head of the two Epson used the same technology as my HP print head ?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
epson uses Piezo printheads, Canon and HP use the thermal/bubble technology to get the inkdrops out of the nozzles, I'm pretty sure yur Epson inks won't work in your HP printer.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Does anyone know if the print head of the two Epson used the same technology as my HP print head ?
Epson are very versatile with which inks that can be used in their print head..
But saying that, you cannot use Epson inks in a HP printer, because the same technology is not used in both Epson and HP print heads..

glprint

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hp OfficeJet Pro 8600
Epson are very versatile with which inks that can be used in their print head..
But saying that, you cannot use Epson inks in a HP printer, because the same technology is not used in both Epson and HP print heads..
If I try to use Epson ink on my HP, in the worst case I expect unsatisfactory or unacceptable print quality, but I shouldn't damage the printhead, or maybe I'm wrong ?

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
or maybe I'm wrong ?
You may be wrong.

Thermal print heads like HP and Canon heat the ink before spitting it out onto the paper. The ink also behaves as a coolant for the heated nozzles so they do not burn up. We have seen a number of Canon print head failures - warped Pigment Black nozzles - particularly when aftermarket inks are used.

Epson uses piezo electrics to vibrate the ink onto the paper without the thermal stresses of Canon and HP. The Epson ink does not need to be formulated to act as a coolant.

You may get along with Epson ink but you may suffer a print head failure.

Let us know what happens.

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP4300 & Panny KX-MB271
Aren't Epson printheads more 'fussy' (fragile) overall?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Such general statements are just not possible at all - without including the modes of operation - ink issues - droplet sizes - cleaning/maintenance by the user etc

AdriTur

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L380, HP Laserjet 5si
From my experience with Epson machines they are very resistant, suitable for high-volume printing jobs and do not require excessive maintenance and are repairable. An HP 7110 OfficeJet A3 wide carriage printer, I used it to massively print 1500 A4 sheets, books for a thesis, it did very well, very fast, but after doing that work for several hours, it started with problems and only printed a few sheets You kept going and it was out of order until finally it didn't work anymore, it gave error messages. I gave it to a young electromechanics student.----- Useful life of the HP 7110.....5 days ------. With the Epson T1100 / T1110 l380 I never had any problems and the paper feed rollers were replaced and "my girls" continued to produce !!!!!!! -------- You have to respect the ink brand yes or yes