Used pro 100

Shatfieldj

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro 100/Hp m479
Hi all. New guy here but I’ve been lurking for a while now. Forgive me in advance if this topic has been discussed before. I tried to do searches but nothing recent comes up. I’ve decided that I’d like to get into photo printing and possibly refilling. Like I said I’ve been on the site for a while and the consensus seems to be to get a good pro 10 or pro 100. I’m leaning towards the pro 100. Question is how to find a good unit. I’ve seen some interesting ones here and there but they are not close to check out in person. Is it possible to get a decent one off of ebay and the like. My concerns are that some of the printers were used for a while then put away for years without any use. Also they seem to price them like they’re made out of gold. I can’t see myself paying good money that can be a crap shoot in terms of receiving a printer in good working order. Some of them are priced more than a pro 200 or 300, and that’s not even for a brand new one. I value the opinions of a lot of the people on this forum. If you were in the market for a used pro 100 how would you approach it. What would you do To minimize the damage. In the end, might just get the pro 200 and call it a day. Maybe sometime down the road a refill solution might be available. Thanks so much in advance for you time and patience. Steve

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
What would you do To minimize the damage. In the end, might just get the pro 200 and call it a day. Maybe sometime down the road a refill solution might be available. Thanks so much in advance
The reason the Pro 100 and Pro 10’s are like gold dust is because you can print just like normal, but the big advantage of these two printers is they are refillable, so you can use 3rd party inks later if you so wish.

If you’re not interested in refilling then the Pro 200 and Pro 300 are a better catch and they will satisfy your every need except one, you can’t switch later to using refill inks on these models, because refilling is just not practical and downright hairy..

The Pro 100 uses dye and the Pro 10 uses pigment inks, so if you’re looking for longevity on all your prints then the Pro 10 or Pro 300 is the only way to go, the Pro 10 is the easiest printer to refill by a country mile (Childs play).

P.S. If you decide on a Second hand printer then have the seller show you a current nozzle check before purchase, if they can’t then that should reflect on a lower price..

Shatfieldj

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro 100/Hp m479
Thanks Hat. That’s my nickname by the way. I’m just getting into this and I’m not looking for a project. What ever I buy I just want it to work. the problem with the gold dust theory is people now realize that the pro 100 is discontinued and the new ones aren’t refillable. They see the market and say, hey I can make some money .. so they’ll bring it out of the closet or garage, dust it off and list it saying it’s mint, or open box etc. Never mind the fact that it sat unused for 5 years or more With ink in the printer and printhead. There’s one available in Nj that I saw. About a 2 hour drive from me. He said he used it sparingly and last used it 1 month ago. Asking $200. If I can get him on the phone I have a bunch of questions for him. If it sounds good I’ll make the drive. At least I can check it out firsthand. It’s been listed for a month now. Don’t know if that means anything or not. If it doesn’t work out, I’ll just buy the 200. Refilling would be nice but it’s not a deal breaker. Dye ink is fine with me. I dont sell prints I don’t need something that’s going to last for 300 years. L o l. It’s not anyone’s going to be around to sue canon if the prints only last 100 years or less. I’ll let you know what happens. Thanks. Steve

Shatfieldj

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro 100/Hp m479
Hi all. Just a little update. I wasn’t able to find a decent printer for a decent price, or the people would not cooperate with nozzle checks, etc. I was all set to buy a pro 200. Just checking Craigslist and found a mint pro 100. Very good price. The lady even called me when requested. A lot of sellers wouldn’t call me when requested. She answered all my questions, and is sending me a video of operation. She has a small business and doesn’t need the printer anymore. It was just listed a few hours ago. About 30 minutes away. I’m picking it up tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Setup wise is there anything different I need to do or do I just set it up as a new printer. Thanks in advance. I’m extremely happy. Thanks.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Good for you ! :)

If the nozzle check is faultless, in all likelihood the printer will be in good working order. Most common problems with used inkjet printers are related to the condition of the printhead. Mechanical and/or electronic problems in the logic board are more rare, provided the machine has been used with the minimal amount of care and common sense, which seems to be the present case, according to what you've explained.
If you pick up the Pro100 with printhead and carts already installed. there’s, nothing special you need to do. As you said, just install the driver according to your preferences ( USB cable,Wifi or both ).

Setting up a wireless wifi connection on Canon printers can be a bit frustrating sometimes. It depends on several factors: router model, distance from printer to router, computer hardware (Mac/PC) and software. Installing the wireless connection of my Pro10s the first time was a lengthy and absurdly convoluted procedure. I had to connect the machine temporarily by USB cable to be able at last to finish the installation, after several failures.
Sometime later I changed my router for another model and I had to reinstall the Wifi connection again. This time it was surprisingly easy. The printer was recognized almost instantly; no need for USB cable. Nothing had changed except the router, which seems to 'like' the printer much more than the first router.
If you have previous experience with Canon printers, you probably know all that already. If not, my advice is to install first the Pro100 as USB printer. Later, you may try the Wifi set-up.

Last edited:

Shatfieldj

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro 100/Hp m479
Sorry for the late reply Artur. was super busy today. Thanks for all the tips. Picked the printer up today. Super excited. It was everything she said and more. Came with full ink and six additional cartridges. The printer was very well cared for. Will be a couple days before I can set it up. Have to make room in the office for it. I will use the usb method. Thanks for your time and advice.

Last edited:

Latest posts