Used Epson R2880 or R3000 with Lyson or Fotospeed refillables

chigwells

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Had: Canon iP5200 (died)
Hi Everybody,

I thought I might tap into the collective opinion to help me make a decision towards my new printer purchase. It's time to upgrade to a real printer, after my A4 beast has finally died a slow death.

It is to be, either an Epson R2880, or an R3000. The reason these two models only, is because I want to develop my B&W printing abilities. I've decided against Canon models because I just never really took to my old Canon printer, purely emotive, I suspect, and I can't get excited by the Canon Pro-10 (but possibly its predecessor?). I would be happy size-wise with one of the more compact A3 models, but I do want the extra B&W printing abilities of said printers. The newer and cheaper A3+ models appear to be geared towards predominantly glossy color printing.

I will be running Lyson, Marrutt or Fotospeed refillable cartridges.

Other considerations:
  • Used printer from the popular online auction site
  • the R3000 has newer technology (less print head clogging?)
  • R3000 should have longer life, or better resale value
  • A used R2880 is more in my price bracket
  • Fotospeed kit £250 inc. 125ml
  • Lyson kit £236 inc. 60ml (£282 for 125ml)
  • Marrutt kit £200 inc. 60ml (£252 for 125ml)
I'm tending towards the R2880 with Marrutt or Fotospeed inkset, but I would love to hear your reasons for or against.

Thanks in advance, Chig.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
both models are very solid units, the unit age is less important than the total number of printed pages, the nozzle check should be perfect and a condition to buy a used printer, the seller should be able to provide you a recent and correct nozzle check, and problems with the nozzles should be accepted as a reason for return. The number of printed pages can be retreived from the unit with the status report of the WICreset utility. And with this utility you can read as well the fill status of the waste ink absorber, you wouldn't like to get a unit with 98%. The choice of ink suppliers is wide, and there are more than the companies you mention. You should be aware that you should go for icc-profiles for you ink/paper combination for correct print of colors. You will as well find out that inks from different suppliers may create a different look in terms of gloss, bronzing and gloss differential between colors and the paper used, from barely visible to irritating. There is no general advice possible. Some users in the forum are using as well K3 compatible inks Powerchrome from Inktec.

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
the R3000 is the easier to use in my opion thanks to bigger ink catridges
and due to the ink supply system sucked air or clogging problems should not be the issue here
I had two R3000 in our office one fro matte the other for glossy prints only both on our refill inks an cartridges with custom paper profiles and it worked like a charm
latter we had to switch to the 3880 < bigger carts and A2 print size
since we never did roll printing it was okay for us

Mags

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson 9880, 9890, T7000
My two penneth, the bulk systems arent made by ANY of those companies listed, they are all chinese and rebranded, Neither is the INK this is also imported. so get on alibaba / ebay and order a bulk system. Then use something like inktec k3 or another reliable brand with a darker black ink ;) hint hint :0

PS: im not a lover of bulk system CISS but refillable carts are fine.

PS: Marrut are LYSON resellers, I had to stop selling LYSON (now NAZDAR) as they had a major issues with a wetting agent which caused me all sorts of problems. In the end I spoke to a LYSON technician in Manchester factory (her name shall be kept out incase she gets into trouble but I do have the mails), She told me to remove the spit sponge from the epson which obviously I was not going to do. The short of it is the Lyson ink caused head blockages and the more head cleans the worse it got as it accumulated on the sponge as a gel.

Last edited: