Use Canon inks in a Brother Inkjet?

Xon2

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother MFC-J 470 DW
hrm...well not the answer i was hoping for:ep but thx anyway.

Droplet size and pigment size are probably two different pair of shoes right? Shouldn't those differ quite considerably? I mean i would assume that many pigments fit through the nozzle when the printer pushes ink out at the same time. Don't get me wrong, i don't want to ''work the discussion'' so long that in ends up in my favour. I am just interested in the technical details so i can make a better judgement call.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
o.k. - let's just ask why Canon would use small and more expensive pigments in an ink when larger pigments would suffice in the pigment black channel of a Canon printhead but possibly not anymore in a Brother printhead. I wouldn't do it with the pigment ink, and only mix the dye inks.

Xon2

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother MFC-J 470 DW
alright. Thx man. I guess i go with new black pigment ink from inktec for the LC-123 Brother cartrige. I'll see about the CMY...but i guess if i am ordering new ink, better go all the way. But its really a shame...to throw all that ink away.

By the way, as i've read here on the forums, the Piezo mechanism seems to be more long lived and less prone to clogging. Is there really something to it?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
By the way, as i've read here on the forums, the Piezo mechanism seems to be more long lived and less prone to clogging. Is there really something to it?

- that's two different things - Canon printheads have a somewhat limited usage time - about driven by the ink amount going through the nozzles, but that's not really the critical part, HP printheads are similar, but it happens with Canon printheads more frequently that a used up printhead kills the motherboard, not always but it happens, HP printers don't suffer from that. Some people print years and years with their Canon unit, other people complain about failures just outside the warranty period. It can be the (refill) ink causing that - I don't know.
- Clogging can have so many reasons, and those in combination - environment, type of ink, usage - very low usage may dry out the purge unit and smear the nozzle plate, construction of refill cartridges hindering the ink flow causing symptons like clogged nozzles , and some more spooky effects, no - clogging is not just a matter of the printing technology - bubble vs. piezo, it's not that simple, some relate clogging to the ink type pigment vs. dye

Xon2

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother MFC-J 470 DW
that conversation actually got me a bit more interested in modern inks. I found this statement from the following plog-post:

''.....One common misconception is that when a jet (or jets) clog on an inkjet printer (evidenced by lines or banding in the print), it’s caused by an impurity or “lump” in the ink. In 99.9% of the cases, the clogged jet is caused by dried ink or an air bubble in the ink. Air in the channel behind the jet on a print head is a sure way of stopping the jet from firing correctly, since the air acts as a shock absorber to the firing action. This is why you often have to perform several cleaning operations on a printer when you change a cartridge—particularly on Epson and Canon permanent print head models. The simple act of removing a cartridge and inserting a new one allows air to get into the print head; the cleaning cycles remove it. The clogging factor Another common misconception is that pigment inks clog jets more than dyebased ones. Because pigment inks contain solid particles, some think these little particles can somehow “gang up,” forming a blockage of the jet. This can happen if a pigment ink is poorly made or formulated. However, when you consider that an average pigment particle size is less than 0.1 micron, and today’s common jet sizes are 20–25 micron, it would take several hundred particles to block a jet. Some major printer manufacturers claim their inks contain smaller particle size pigments than those of third-party ink suppliers, or that the lower-priced nonoriginal ink brands contain cheaper, and “lumpier” pigments. To me, the best water-based pigment inks are the ones that contain pigments that are ground into the smallest possible size. If ground any smaller, the pigment’s fundamental molecular structure would be broken down, rendering it useless. Sophisticated particle analysis tests on our inks (and OEM equivalents) demonstrate that particle sizes are, unsurprisingly, similar....''

http://www.marrutt.com/support/debunking-the-myths-of-digital-inks.html

And thats one of the question we probably can never egt an answer to. How many microns are the canon/brother nozzles wide and how big in diameter are the pigments that Inktec uses for their inks designated to be used with Canon or Brother.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
o.k., so what, I just don't believe that air bubbles are the cause in 99.9%, when you run a CISS and don't remove cartridges at all you still may experience clogging. And any of the these pigment ink suppliers has a story how good their own inks are , whether its particle size, encapsulation , light stability - our yellow is better than Epson's... gamut, non settling etc, but does all this matter for the user ? He gets only small pieces of information from the various sources but not the same type of data from all suppliers so he cannot compare and cannot judge whether and how he would be affected.

Xon2

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother MFC-J 470 DW
your are right. As an enduser, you seldom know the real, absolut specifics for the product that concerns you. But what i took from this blog and further reading i did is the following: particle size in pigmented inks seems to be generally about 0.1 - 0.2 microns in diameter where as the nozzle opening seems to be bigger than 20 microns. I of course don't know the specifics of the Inktec ink (pigment size) and the exact nozzle size of the Brother printer. But, both are in line with industry standards, the pigment particle size of the Inktec ink for canon should go fine with the Brother....in theory.

I guess i'll do a bit more reading (actually the stuff is quite interesting) and then i'll decide what to do. In any case, thx for the help. I definetely post how it worked out, whatever i decide to do.

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
I definetely post how it worked out, whatever i decide to do.

At the end in 4 years you definitely did not :D

I'm interested :D how that gone? Do the inktek pgi canon black worked in the LC-123 brother based printers? Do the printers gone clogged? What model do you use? I have a MFC-J6520DW