1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: Best precision printer
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

USB 3.0 Transfer Speed with external memory devices

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Ink stained Fingers, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Jul 17, 2019
    PeterBJ

PeterBJ Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon iP4300 + Epson scanner
    Neither am I, so please @stratman how do I get more info from the device manager. This is a crop from device manager of my main computer:

Dev man usb.jpg
    USB-Lagerenhed = USB Storage device, USB-rodhub = USB root hub and USB-sammensat enhed = USB composite(?)/multiple(?) device

My computer has got four USB 3.0 ports, two on the back, one on the front and one on top for an external HDD drive bay. It has also got six USB 2 ports, three on the back, one on the front and two used internally for a card reader and a WLAN adapter.

2. Jul 17, 2019
    stratman

stratman Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    From my post #7 is a way using Device Manager to get simple USB port speed status. The utility listed in my link in that same post, which ISF used, gives more information.

I wondered how the info of USB port speeds found with the utility app ISF used compared with the finding in Device Manager. This was more about corroboration of results than anything else, especially since Device Manager provides easy access to the multitude of data from the utility app.

It is a pleasant and not infrequent surprise the amount of data one can access in Windows about your computer without third party apps.

The Hat likes this.
  3. Jul 17, 2019
    Ink stained Fingers

Ink stained Fingers Printer Master

Printer Model:
    L310/382/1800, P400, Pro7600
    The USB class rating is one thing, that's what the transfer chip and firmware are supposed to handle - data exchange at connection time, power requirements and all that, but this does not indicate the actual transfer speed with a device connected - video, card reader, SSD whatever, that's when an actual speed test - peek speed - tells you the other part of the story and gives you some surprises - how slow or fast an USB 3 device is actually running on an USB 3 port

The Hat likes this.
  4. Jul 17, 2019
    stratman

stratman Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    I think that has been established more than once here and I agree. Did someone argue otherwise?

Off topic... Someone said to me yesterday that my handwritten "French" 7's were "German" 7's. Never heard that before. :idunno Is this like the argument on who made the first humus?

5. Jul 17, 2019
    Ink stained Fingers

Printer Model:
    USB speed - I'm done with my tests , it was fun - you run a series of tests and just scratch your head about the results, there is USB 3.0 hardware slower than USB 2.0 connections, there are fake adapters etc - lots of possibilities to slow down a system, very slow and rather fast HDD's , USB sticks , memory cards ; speed does not matter in all cases, but when it comes to run a backup of 500G you expect to get that done as fast as it possibly can go.
    I'm not aware of the differences between French vs. German '7' handwritten numbers , but there are rather critical differences between the German and the US handwriting of the '1' and '7', the German '1' can be mis-read as a '7' , and the US '7' can be mis-read as a '1' by a German.

PeterBJ likes this.
  6. Jul 17, 2019
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon were, BUT 3D is better..
    I all at 6’s and 7s, when it comes to USB 3 ?... I don’t have any.. and what’s time to a pig… :idunno

stratman and Ink stained Fingers like this.
  7. Jul 17, 2019
    mikling

mikling Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

I've owned some USB2 external drives in the past. I would assume that a WD external drive would adhere to standards and two other externals was about the same transfer. But I had one that was significantly faster than the WD and the others and by my calculation. It was faster that a USB 2 spec but this was when it was plugged into a USB3 port on a router. On a standard USB2 port. It matched the other drives including the WD. To me, there is so much involved in these "specs" you really don't know what you are really getting until you get it. These are all complex interfaces and USB has a whole set of specs and classes and subclasses. I'm sure it is complex and more than I understand.

8. Jul 18, 2019
    Ink stained Fingers

Printer Model:
    a user wouldn't need to understand it all - since everything is claimed to be compatible and easy to use.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0
    It just gets irritating when the same device runs with 40MB/s with one adapter/hub/connection and does 400MB/s with another.
    USB 3.0 is not the latest version, but quite popular with external memory/storage devices, drives etc
    And there are newer versions since then - USB 3.1 and USB 3.2 - with even higher speed.
    When you look to the complexity there is quite a lot to consider for somebody programming the USB firmware,
    the USB 3.0 standard is already a document with 480 pages
    https://www.usb3.com/whitepapers/USB 3 0 (11132008)-final.pdf

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    PeterBJ likes this.
  9. Jul 25, 2019
    Ink stained Fingers

Printer Model:
    I got some more USB hardware shipped from China, 2 different M.2 SSD enclosures with an USB 3.0 port, they run at quite different speeds as I have tested them, the boards look quite similar but with some changes - they use different chips.
    M.2 Drive Case.jpg

This one is listed with an ASM1053E chipset, but is actually using an ASM1153E chip
    http://www.asmedia.com.tw/eng/e_show_products.php?cate_index=171&item=133,
    the other enclosure is using a JMS578 chip which is running much slower than the ASM chip.
    When looking around I found this report about exactly these same chips and measuring their
    performance as well
    https://www.everythingusb.com/drive-adapters.html
    This report shows as well a tremendous speed difference for a mixed operating mode - read/write/small/large files
    by a factor of more than 2.
    M.2 board.jpg

You never know which version, which chipset you get when you place an order for such an adapter, no seller on
    Ebay or Aliexpress is telling you before you place your order. You just have to assume that their reference to USB 3.0
    gives you all the speed you expect.
    Both adapters are working, the product description at Ebay does not promise any actual speed, so I cannot claim any
    refund - not for a defect product and not for a product not meeting a particuar spec.

PeterBJ likes this.
  10. Jul 25, 2019
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon were, BUT 3D is better..
    Life is like a box of Chocolates, you never know what you’ll get…Till...:eek:

Ink stained Fingers likes this.