US Deals - Last of the CLI-8 printers

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
[mp530]
$100 shipped amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Pixma-O...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227395004&sr=1-1
This is the ip4200 AIO w/ fax and sheet feeder

[mp610]
$130 shipped amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Pixma-I...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227395161&sr=1-1
This is the ip4500 AIO. It measures only 17.7" (W) x 15.3" (D) x 7.4" (H), vs the ip4600 @ 17.0"(W) x11.7"(D) x 6.0"(H).

[mp960]
$99 + tax & shipping from Canon e-store
http://estore.usa.canon.com/webapp/...1&parent_category_rn=17251&top_category=12054
This would be the ip7500 AIO if the ip7500 was a model shipped outside japan. It's the 7 tank model, pigment black, dye black and light dye inks.

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The HP D7560 is looking pretty good suddenly since Canon is getting so greedy.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
I don't think Canon is withdrawing its cli-8 technology printers. A quick look at their site shows most cli-8 models are still there. There is no replacement for its high-end multifunctionals (mp 830, mx 850) and frankly it would require a lot of nerve to present a workhorse office machine with low yield cartridges.

At any rate, a printer is a combination of cost, quality, software, paper handling and noise. On the last three items, HP is seriously lagging behind Canon.

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
panos said:
I don't think Canon is withdrawing its cli-8 technology printers. A quick look at their site shows most cli-8 models are still there. There is no replacement for its high-end multifunctionals (mp 830, mx 850) and frankly it would require a lot of nerve to present an workhorse office machine with low yield cartridges.

At any rate, a printer is a combination of cost, quality, software, paper handling and noise. On the last three items, HP is seriously lagging behind Canon.
the mp830 enjoyed a wild price ride. It was down to $150 on buy.com last month, now it's bumped back up to $220. This model seems to be on the way out, but this is the older ip4300/5200 based AIO that has yet to be replaced. I believe the mx850 was the replacement.

The mp610 has already been replaced with the mp620. Presently the mp620 is a bit cheaper than the mp610. The mp970 already is being replaced with the mp980.

The Canon website is simply not up to date.

HP has always offered object oriented printing, which is a serious advantage. I don't honestly see Canon as having a software advantage. Ok there's easy photo print, but aside from that Canon doesn't really have an suite of applications for their office AIOs. HP does, though HP does offer bloatware. HP text tended to be above Canon, and seems to be the case with the latest model. For longevity, HP rather wins. Image quality is rather debatable. I have yet to compare them side by side. Hell I just recently compared the mp960 to the mp830.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Please expand on "object oriented printing". I agree on the slight text quality advantage of HP. I disagree on image (photo) quality. Canon has the obvious advantage of its patented photolithographic print head manufacturing which gives them ultra small nozzles to play with. The photos speak for themselves in every person's eyes I know of.

In regards to the software, HP's bloat is not a trifle thing. HP's drivers (and, from what I've seen in recent HP laptops, HP's software in general) will undermine system performance immediately after installation. I don't care if red eyes removal or a limited OCR software is bundled with it. Drivers and printing software is not meant to be written with Internet Explorer interfaces and javascript.

Of course after the cries of users worldwide HP has started providing "corporate" versions of their drivers. It's a step in the right direction, but they are still quite bloated.

I had recently purchased an HP officejet thinking the "carly fiorina" days were a thing of the past, but I found out that the loud noise, the bad paper handling (1 guaranteed misfeed every 100 pages) and the bloated software are still there. I had spent too much money, patience and time with this company; I would really throw this new officejet in the garbage since my auto-resetting cartridges voided my warranty. But a coworker asked me not to do it. So I gave it to him. I often hear loud noises from his office and I know he is printing. 10 seconds have been added to his laptop's boot time. He has already covered HP's cost with consumables. And he watches my old MP750 with envy.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Bottom line?For all-around performance, as well as cost of operation over time, Canon as been the best value. Hp, while making many fine printers over the years, has been making smaller and smaller cartridges, to the point that many of the cartridges are now ridiculously tiny. Grab a model which uses the cli-8s and pgi-5s now....and remember, they are refillable, and compatibles are available as well.

There are some incredible deals out there right now, especially at the wholesale level. If you are a Canadian dealer, contact me right away, and I will let you know which wholesaler has plenty of ip4500s and mp530s in stock for under $60.00 Candian..a real bargain!! They will go pretty quickly, so now is the time to stock up.

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
panos said:
Please expand on "object oriented printing". I agree on the slight text quality advantage of HP. I disagree on image (photo) quality. Canon has the obvious advantage of its patented photolithographic print head manufacturing which gives them ultra small nozzles to play with. The photos speak for themselves in every person's eyes I know of.
AFAIK, while aspects of the canon head to have patents, this whole photolithographic process is well, rather normal these days. HP has been making them this way since 2005. Prior generations employed bonding. Current HP printheads are "ultra" small. Keep in mind that canon isn't actually 5pl, 2, and 1pl. On the ip4000 it was 5.5pl and 2.5pl (IP 4000 service manual p. 33). I don't know the actual size of the smallest nozzle, but odds are they rounded down as well. The new HP printhead is 5.2pl and 1.3pl, so it's actually possible HP's are smaller can Canon.

To be honest, I tended to actually prefer Epson for color rendering, and the dye inks wick less than Canon. You can easily observe this when you print white text on a colored background. Even the older Epson r200 would be clearer at a small font like 5pt than canon.

Canon doesn't do object oriented printing. It does document oriented printing. A given document is rendered either in terms of text or a graphic. HP permits mixed documents. This is only an issue if for example you want to use the black text cartridge for text, and the dye for photos.

panos said:
In regards to the software, HP's bloat is not a trifle thing. HP's drivers (and, from what I've seen in recent HP laptops, HP's software in general) will undermine system performance immediately after installation. I don't care if red eyes removal or a limited OCR software is bundled with it. Drivers and printing software is not meant to be written with Internet Explorer interfaces and javascript.
AFAIK, the drivers are NOT written in Java script. This is the first I heard of the drivers using explorer, but if the print properties menu uses explorer, well, actually more power to them. PHP would actually be handy in letting the user use custom skins, like one with a minimal interface for average users, more options for advanced users. HP contracts out to Microsoft for their drivers.

Canon actually has a bad habit of bypassing the windows layer to do printing, like with EZ photoprint. This is a bit of a no no. Their springboard software for their AIOs doesn't allow you to print to anything but a Canon, because it can't. It's geared to talk specifically to the Canon.

For their fax AIOs, a nice software suite would be nice. Perhaps the ability to either cache inbound faxes, or be able to set fax to PC, or even fax -> memory card.

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
For a guess, Canon is now moving away from the CLI-5&8 chipped cartridges because chip resetters exist and they become almost as easy to refill as the old BCI-3&5 non-chipped cartridges.

So it calls for a new line of Canon printers based around a new cartridge line type with newly designed chips that makes refilling as artificially difficult as possible.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Osage is right.....grab an extra printer NOW that uses the larger, refillable PGI-5s and CLI-8s. They won't be around much longer...
AND..there are some great deals out there right now....