Upgrade FAIL

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
For any of you who know you're way around Linux shell code, see if you can spot what's wrong with this picture

Code:
chown nobody:nobody /*
...instead of...
Code:
chown nobody:nobody ./*
What it means in essence is that after 2 weeks of careful re-coding, fixing, preparing and generally making sure I'd got it all ready to go, I've just borked the OctoInkjet server to the extent that my web host are currently restoring it from backup from a point that is 3 hours before the actual upgrade was applied...

Not a good day at all... :/

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
RMM said:
:(

My condolences.
On the up side I spotted it within 30 minutes and was able to get a backup of the site and database (including a last minute order - thank $deity!) so I'll be able to get it all back online again tomorrow when I've had more sleep..

Definite time for me to apply my head to the nearest wall for being so daft... :rolleyes::p

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I should be in bed! but after 45 minutes sleep, woken by little one early (5:30am) and then back to work from 7:30am I've finally got the site updated and working again.

That was most definitely not fun!

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
OK, so we don't know Linux code. I don't even know which of the two is the correct one. Can you provide a little more insight into the problem?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
ghwellsjr said:
OK, so we don't know Linux code. I don't even know which of the two is the correct one. Can you provide a little more insight into the problem?
Well, to put it in printer terms it was like telling a printer repair robot to "take the screw out" without specifying which screw or from what and then returning to find the robot had dismantled the printer, kitchen, house and was working on the neighbours car.

Hard to express how stupid I was really... :p

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
In essence, websnail forgot about his period and his server went on the rag.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
websnail said:
ghwellsjr said:
Well, to put it in printer terms it was like telling a printer repair robot to "take the screw out" without specifying which screw or from what and then returning to find the robot had dismantled the printer, kitchen, house and was working on the neighbours car.

Hard to express how stupid I was really... :p
I guess I must have been offline at the moment because my computer appears not to have been affected.

...Just kidding.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
:) Boy does a few hours sleep, and the knowledge that you fixed it, help with the whole sense of proportion..

I'm just glad that I was drinking any of my tea when I read Stratmans post... *cue: shopping for new monitor*...

Good to hear I didn't hit your machine too George... at least some folks were saved ;)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Computer problems can ruin otherwise perfectly good day's (and nights).

Happy to hear everything's fixed and no new monitor needed. :)