UO 52 Error message

duncan22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Not sure if this is good luck or bad luck but my Canon MP610 came up with the dreaded UO52 error... The type of print head is incorrect, install correct printhead.. that was the bad Luck
The Good luck was that I bought a refurbished IP 4500 a year ago complete with a new print head and a set of Genuine carts from a Canon outlet for 70, the printhead on both machines is the same so I am up and running again.

Next time the print head goes I will be in the market for a new machine, at the present time which canon printer is the one to go for which allows refilling and resetting of the carts using a redsetter, obviously I will have to purchase a new redsetter.

Thanks

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Why not stock up on a new print head or two instead? Try your country's Canon Sales department by telephone for the probable best deal. The adage "they don't make them like that anymore" really does apply in this case.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I agree 100% with stratman. They really dont make them like that anymore. Newer canon printers have smaller cartridges, some only partially transparent (windowed) others completely opaque. Of course the newer cartridges can be refilled, but not as easily as the transparent PGI-5/CLI-8 cartridges that are used in your printers. Also the cartridges used in your printers have higher capacity than the newer cartridges. 13/26 ml vs. 9/19 ml for dye/pigment black.

More important than cartridge capacity and ease of refilling is the build quality. This thread by Smile shows one difference. There may be more. http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5609

I don't think you will find a new printhead much cheaper than this, so I suggest you order one or two immidiately, while they last: http://www.crc-tasktron.co.uk/gbu0-prodshow/75.html

I own a pixma 5200 and I think it is one of the best 5 cartridge printers Canon ever made. Your printer may be even better. I have a new printhead for my very good printer as a spare. I recommend you also get a spare printhead instead of finding out what replacement printer to buy.

duncan22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Many thanks for the advice, must admit a new print head is a lot cheaper than a new printer, my assumption was the most recent models would be better but quite clearly this is not the case.

The link to tasktron was very helpful as the same print head on Amazon UK is 68.
Will take your advice and get one ordered today.

Thanks