"unrecognized cartridge" error.

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
About every 10 prints I get an "unrecognized cartridge" error.

I have a new artisan 837

Ideas?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Bet you are running compatible carts?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
OK I see it is an Artisan printer.
So I have to ask if fed the ink tubing ribbon out the rear of the lid rather than out the side so the lit mey or mey not be closing fully so the sensor is thinking the lid os not closed.
I am using a CISS for my Artisan 720 from Precission Colors ( Mikling here in this forum )
I had to remove a bit of a plastic tab under the the printer lid. Then I unhinged the left side of the printer / scanner lid and fet the flat ribbon so it directly exits out the rear of the right side of the printer allowing me to fully close the lid. So the printer can sence the cartridges chips.

Give more details as just telling us what CISS you are using doesn't really say anything as to how you set it up.
The fact that it works for a few prints and then it does not recognizes the chips, tells me it is do to your setup.

Joe

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi

Ya i fed the ribbon out the back.

I shove a piece of paper into the printers "door_closed" detector -- so that it thinks the door is closed.

Ya i've been using this CISS system for 6 months. It's always printed good. It's just that, about every 10-20 prints, the printer reports that, for one of the colors, it "does not recognize the cartridge."

I get this error message for a different color each time.

To fix this problem, i simply take out the cartridge and put it back in. And the problem is solved. But it happens on a different cartridge 10 prints later...

I am thinking that each chip in the cartridge has its own 'counter'. And that when this printer notices a disjunct between the firmware counter and the chips counter, maybe it outputs this "unrecognized cartridge" message...

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
As you print these 10 to 20 prints, do your ink levels show any drop and if so, does it cooincide with the next color that it's recorded as unrecognizable? As you may know the Unrecognized Cart warning is what you get on an Artizan printer, one cart color is declared empty.

The firmware has nothing to do with the counting of ink levels. That is controlled only at the chip.
The sensor detector at least on my Artisan 720 is magnetic and no piece of paper is going ro fool it. In fact, my lid fits perfectly normal.

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks
The error does not seem to coincide with the ink level showing "empty" on the driver interface.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Looks like your CISS is whacked out. I would look into some other form of 3rd party ink / cart system.
Bet you if you pop in some OEM or even compatible carts it will again work just fine. I think your chips are not properly reporting to your driver.

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ya gotta be something like that

Update

So today I tried to pay close attention to the ink levels on the computer, whilst the printer was going -- to see if there was a correlation between the error, and the purported ink levels.

I guess the bottom line is there doesn't seem to be a correlation.

The Epson windows screen ink display shows a full (or partially full) cartridge. And yet the error still comes up. Seems to be fairly random...

;(

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Also, the CIS cartridge does say v6.0 on the front of the chip, if this helps.