Universal Ink

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
Than Huy:
The Canon printers are known for having the printhead burnt in case of running dry. That is not the case with HP printers; the printhead usually stays intact after running dry. So the HP printhead must be more robust than the Canon head.

You cant find this in tech specs; its just experienced by customers :)

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
Oh! I'm so lucky that I bought a HP printer and not Canon! Yeah!

To be honest, I did run dry 1 time on pigment black and cyan, however the printhead is still healthy now! :)

Would you recommend HP printer instead of Canon? How about Epson?

I plan to try an Epson after this HP dies.

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
I think Epson is the most refined of the three. And the Epson printhead is very strong, it outlives the printer!
But Epson printers dont swallow all ink. Universal ink often clogs the nozzles.

And Canon and HP? Every brand has its pros and cons.

Canon: the most used by refillers. Non OEM carts are not suitable to refill. Printhead may not run dry.
HP: not very popular amongst refillers. Printhead is stronger than Canons. Not selective on ink. Paper loop is not straight.
Epson: popular amongst refillers. Piezo printhead has advantages. Selective on ink. Aggressive cartridge policy.

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
I'm a little bit confuse because: why Canon is the most popular among refillers while it's printhead is so easy to burn out?

---
So, base on your idea, we can conclude:

Printhead strength:: Epson >> HP >> Canon >>...
Ink-"friendly":: HP >> Canon >> Epson >> ...
Paper Machanics parts strength:: Canon >> Epson >> HP >> ... (not sure about this but my HP scrolls paper quite weak eps with thick photo paper)
Ink-cartridge-chip refill friendly:: HP >> Canon >> Epson (not sure about this since I only experienced with HP564/970/685 cartridges which are very...friendly!)

Are they correct?

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
I think refillers choose Canon because the refilling of Canon OEM carts is easy. And now Epson XP600/XP800 is popular amongst refillers for the same reason.

I'm more or less an Epson man, I bought a Canon printer for the grey ink (for b/w photos). Epson has only got grey ink in their A3 printers. I prefer a normal, consumer printer.

I could live with an HP, but the paper often doesn't come out straight. The Japanese printers are a bit more refined.

Your list with pro's and con's quite correct. You can choose an HP next time if you don't mind the paper loop in these printers :)