Universal Ink

jeremyst

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Is universal ink recommended for canon ip1800 and hp photosmart printers? what are the disadvantages?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
The main disadvantage is THERE IS NO "UNIVERSAL INK" for inkjet printers. You can be using ink that will RUIN your printer. Even if you manage to use a so-called universal ink that your printer accepts, you can be CERTAIN that there will be color shifts (if that is important to you).

Wayne

luci

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am also agree with Wayne if you refill with universal ink there is chance to ruin you printer.

jeremyst

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ok. thanks for the info, i'm using a universal ink for my ip1800 canon and so far i haven't got any problems, yes there is a change in color, definitely i will buy an HP ink for refilling 564 cartridges next time, as HP photosmart printers have uhmm sensitive printhead?
Sirs, do you have any recommended refill ink or atleast how to know if an ink is good for your printer? there are many ink refilling brands/station/companies in my country i don't know which one is reliable.

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
Can I use InkTec for Epson to refill HP 564 cartridges? I'm in Vietnam, where most InkTec ink is for Epson, and when I go buy and ask for the InkTec HP, the seller will give me an InkTec Epson and say it's ok to use with HP (for both Dye and Pig). Differences only matters when using large-format inkjet HP.

Anyone have idea??

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The Epson printers use piezo-electric printhead technology. These printheads deposit ink on the paper by a pumping action. Most other printers, like HP and others use thermal printhead technology. Ink is deposited on paper by heating it to create a steam bubble that ejects an ink drop. The inks for the two technologies have different properties, so ink for Epson is not suitable for HP. You should use a refill ink specifically made for your printer, and avoid universal inks.

rihac support

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I would have to agree with Wayne, using the wrong ink in your printer will result in serious colour shifts. If you are unable to find the exact ink you need at least use Canon as the colours will be closer to correct than if you are using HP or Epson ink in a Canon.

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
Apart from the difference in colour and density there is also a different viscosity for the various brands of printers. Ink for Canon and HP must be heat resistant.

So the universal ink has an average viscosity and density and is heat resistant. As you noticed it works in your Canon. I dont think it will ruin your printhead now as there is enough flow through the head. Colour photos however will come out too greenish or too reddish.

HP printheads are less sensitive so that ink should work in the HP as well. The only way to find out is trying it.

But... universal ink is the cheapest ink around. You cant expect high quality. So maybe its wise to buy dedicated ink for your newer HP printer. Better colours, less clogging and lightfast. Im sure you will notice the difference in quality.
You can use up the universal ink in your old Canon printer.

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
Lucas28 Guru!, could you please tell me in detail about "HP printheads are less sensitive"? What is that? How does it compare to Canon's? I just want to know in-dept technically about it ;) But I couldn't find any tech doc that talks about this.

The only tech spec info I can draw out from the specs in Canon vs HP websites is that HP printheads droplet size is much bigger (3pl for dye and 14pl for pigment, at least in my case HP 5525) than Canon (usually 1-2pl). While that of Epson is somewhat similar to Canon's . So it might means HP can use...well, almost any ink?

It it is the HP printhead that are less sensitive, so it means HP can tolerate more universal ink? Maybe I'm lucky that I buy HP and not Canon!