Unfortunately for my iX4000

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Now that I’ve got all my 3D printing sorted out and am taking a break from it, I decided to see if I could get my iP4500 back up and running, it had poor output (last few weeks) because the purge unit was not functioning properly and I figured it was bunged up with dried inks.

Not to be out done I wanted a dye printer for my photos till I could take the iP4500 apart and clean it up, and turned to my old trusty iX4000, it hadn’t been used in over two years.

I powered on the Ix4000, cleaned and soaked the print head and popped it back in and installed 4 new cartridges, she went through the usual cleaning and when the print head carriage moved all the way to the left side, there was a screeching sound and the printer powered of. (Dead in the water)

So I decided to remover the top cover on the printer, on this model it’s very easy and took out the power supply to examine it and placed it down on two metal cross bars, (A very stupid thing to do) and I blew the shite out of the powered unit, and so ended a very good printers life.

I wasn’t going to be put off by this mistake and removed the top cover from the iP4500 and completely cleaned out the purge unit, and put the top cover back on, well the top never seem to go back on properly all the way for me.

Now the iP4500 is printing away as good as new again and I’ve forgotten my beloved iX4000, but the sad part is I have a brand new print head still in its foil box and that printer is now no more, I’m sure there is someone out there with a badly preforming iX4000 or similar model that would love a new print head.. (Qy6-0064)

Well I don’t need the Feckin thing any more so someone can use it…

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Maybe there is aiX4000 power supply out there waiting for you. :idunno

Regardless, awfully nice offer on your part. :hugs

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
@The Hat
You surely know that refurbished PSUs for the IX4000 and many other Canon printers are available on Ebay. reliability of these sales is dubious though. All vendors are from China, like the "new, genuine and sealed" Canon printheads that we know well. Not a very good recommendation but then, PSUs either work fine or don't work at all. No progressive damage like printheads.
There's also the unknown question of why your original PSU powered off (I mean before removing it from the machine). Maybe the logic board is busted.
There's one IX4000 PSU on Ebay right now for only $15 and shipping free. Frankly, in your case I wouldn't know if it's worth the risk, It depends on how much you hate wasting a new printhead.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@Artur5, thank you for your kinds taught, but my iX400 has now been trashed in a dumpster, and I had forgotten about till now, it was a shame because it was a good printer, in fact is was a forerunner to the Maxify, but in A3 size, she took a lot of abuse over the years and printed thousands, so rip iX4000…

lewisham_phil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
@Artur5, thank you for your kinds taught, but my iX400 has now been trashed in a dumpster, and I had forgotten about till now, it was a shame because it was a good printer, in fact is was a forerunner to the Maxify, but in A3 size, she took a lot of abuse over the years and printed thousands, so rip iX4000…
The Hat; it's been a while, but I don't suppose you whipped out the print head of your ix4000 and stuck it in a drawer somewhere, lest some poor soul require it in the future? Worth a try!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model