Unenviable Envy

Oldie

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Envy Photo 6200 All-in-O
Hi
Has anyone else experienced a refusal of an Envy series printer to allow its lid to be opened so that a cartridge can be changed. If so, how did you resolve it?

Oldie

Oldie

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Envy Photo 6200 All-in-O
To answer my own question; show it who's boss with increasing lifting pressure on the lid until it eventually gives way. It turns out that there's a strut in the right corner that has a toothed edge- like the rack in a rack and pinion gear assembly - and it's this that keeps the lid up until you're ready to close it again. In my case this mechanism had seized and wouldn't readily pay ball; a touch of silicone grease has helped, but it's still a bit rocky. It seems likey to be a design issue; perhaps a more resiliant material for the rack would have been a better choice

No plaudits to HP, who seemed more keen to sell me a replacement that to find a solution to the problem. 'Move product', I suppose.

Attachments

• 2022-03-23_16-19-48.jpg
    2022-03-23_16-19-48.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 138

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Well done! Thank you for telling you found a solution yourself.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
No plaudits to HP, who seemed more keen to sell me a replacement that to find a solution to the problem. 'Move product', I suppose.
Maybe HP Service are right.. It is time for a new printer, but get a Canon next time and stick it to HP altogether..