Underwhelmed By Pro-100

opurora

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100, Pro9000ii
@Methodical

thanks, you must have read my mind. I am considering an IPS monitor. I'm leaning towards the Asus PA279Q. I do a tiny bit of non-FPS gaming (mostly xbox and steam) and I'm concerned about ghosting. I'm trying to read up on reviews where they specifically talk about gaming performance.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You will need to be careful when you’re choosing a new Monitor, it’s easy to get a gaming monitor or a photo/graphic monitor separately but not one fits all.

The needs of a gaming monitor are so far apart from that of a dedicated works photo monitor you might be better off getting one of each..

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
@Methodical

thanks, you must have read my mind. I am considering an IPS monitor. I'm leaning towards the Asus PA279Q. I do a tiny bit of non-FPS gaming (mostly xbox and steam) and I'm concerned about ghosting. I'm trying to read up on reviews where they specifically talk about gaming performance.

My experience with an IPS monitor and gaming.

I have a Dell U3011 monitor, which response time is 7ms, and I game pretty heavy with it. I play Battlefield 3, 4, Crysis (all) Batman Arkham City at max settings using Nvidia 680 SLI (also used the the 560 SLI for quite awhile with the Dell U2412M) and I don't/didn't have ghosting issues that were noticeable to my eyes. I called my system "Doubledipn" because it's used for photo editing (mostly) and gaming a lot. If photo editing is your main thing, then you should stick with an IPS monitor because of color quality and consistency. If not, you may end up in the same boat with monitor color issues, just be mindful of the monitor's response time. I have a review site that I often refer to that do all the testing and made my life easy when it came time to purchase a monitor. I will try and find it and provide the link.

Found it: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

Al

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thanks for the link to the monitor review site :)

opurora

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100, Pro9000ii
Okay, I got my Asus PA279Q and I'm a novice in setting up .icm's and what not. I put the monitor's AdobeRGB pre-calbrated .icm where I believe it should go and I made a test print of the Onsight Color Evaluation Image v2 on my Pro-100 and it came out very close. The soaps in the lower right hand corner are rendered beautifully. I do believe I'm suffering from the 'dark print' syndrome that the firmware upgrade is supposed to correct though.

For the time being I am going to accept Asus' pre-calibrated AdobeRGB setting. This monitor was so expensive I can't afford a colorimeter right now. Perhaps in the future.

I've never worked with a wide gamut display before. Can anyone recommend a color management workflow guide for a novice? Specifically I am confused how to set up in Windows 7 how to make it use the PA279Q.icm. I think I have it set up properly but I'm not 100% sure. Also do I have to get my graphics card involved as well? What about in regards to Photoshop? Do I set the working space to AdobeRGB or the PA279Q.icm? Thanks very much.

Last edited:

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
OP, I am not sure I follow all that you are doing. Are you setting color mgmt via the monitor settings.

Also, in a previous post, you stated that you used a friends colorimeter. If it were me, I'd ask the friend to use it again and if it can make printer profiles, I would use it to that also until you are able to acquire one.