Unable to save a print setting for portrait

fdm2000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have an odd condition with my new Canon MG2522 printer with the latest driver software installed. When I go to commonly used print settings and attempt to save a setting for future use it will always selects landscape even though I have selected the Portrait orientation? I assumed that when I saved the settings for portrait it would take effect - but when I print using it I get landscape and when I open the saved print setting it has landscape selected? I have owned many Canon printers over the years and never encountered this oddity.
Has anyone experienced this issue? Can anyone offer a fix?
Thanks Frank

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
There were times when I had problems with settings not being saved. I discovered that it usually was a matter of "write" permissions.

First, I would uninstall the drivers, but also select "remove" or "delete" the files. For the reinstall make sure you are logged-in as "Administrator". If that doesn't work, see below.

I eventually found a software called "Total Uninstall". It was worth to buy. Over the years it has let me install software always as administrator. Never had the above problem again, because TU installs itself as "Administrator". One of the best aspects of TU is that if you need to uninstall any software it can, and will by requested confirmation, remove all associated files, and thus keep your systems clean of unused files. It does this best if it is allowed to "monitor" the install of a particular software.

Please excuse the ad for TU, but it deserved mentioning here.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have owned many Canon printers over the years and never encountered this oddity.
Has anyone experienced this issue? Can anyone offer a fix?
Thanks Frank
The best way to set and save your printing preferences for further use is to go into control panel and right click on your preferred printer, that will open the Printing Preferences Tab.. Quick Setup

In there you can set the Commonly Used Setting like, Media Type, printer Paper size, print Quality and paper source.

Next tab is for Media Type, Print quality, and Colour Intensity, move to the next Tab for Page Setup, here you have your paper Size and Orientation and whether you want to print from the top of your page or bottom first..

Once you got that far just work backwards again by clicking on each Tap to be doubly sure you have the setting that you require. But… But… But…

This is the most important bit… You must Click the Apply Button for your personal setting to take affect and be saved for every use thereafter..

You can also easily change to other setting in the Application your using to print from for a one off print, but your personal setting won’t be affected by changing setting in an Application..

Hope this helps..

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Be aware also that if you're using Qimage, this software has the annoying 'feature' of disabling 'advanced printing capabilities' on the printer used by the program.
So, every time you close Qimage, you have to go to control panel -> devices and printers, right click on the printer icon, select 'printer properties' ; open 'advanced options' tab and re-enable 'advanced printing capabilities'.
Disabling 'advanced printing capability' by itself doesn't changes any custom settings but deletes several options in the driver, such as printing on 'booklet' 'page design' or 'poster' mode. It isn't that these modes are greyed out, they simply disappear from the driver menu.
That goes for my Canon printers, I wouldn't know about other brands.

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
With all due respect to @The Hat, and @Artur5", it is noteworthy that their advice, the way I read it, is for cases when the system allows the normal operation of the printer driver to allows saving of any preferences.

The write up I gave above (https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...-print-setting-for-portrait.15694/post-136975) is for cases where the system for some reason does not allow the printer drive from saving the settings. It is like when the user has no "wite" permission.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Be aware also that if you're using Qimage, this software has the annoying 'feature' of disabling 'advanced printing capabilities' on the printer used by the program.
You might be right about the Qimage software, but I wouldn’t know anything about it, because I wouldn’t be caught dead using Qimage, and as far as I’m concerned it’s just a poor man’s Photoshop, and a very poor one at that.. That’s what I reckon..

I tried a free download years ago and couldn’t wait to get rid of it..
is for cases where the system for some reason does not allow the printer drive from saving the settings. It is like when the user has no "wite" permission.
I have never suffered from that issue on any of my computers, Win O/S or Macs..
I have total control of my printer settings, well what Canon allows anyway..

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
I have never suffered from that issue on any of my computers, Win O/S or Macs..
I have total control of my printer settings, well what Canon allows anyway..
I bend my knee to your luck with your OS. I am not so lucky, but then I do develop software, and evry once-in-a-while does involve the odd peek and "poke" into the OS (peek/poke are old old term for reading/writing register values). The result is that sometimes the O/S retaliates and in it's wisdom turns of certain permissions. Happens very seldom, but its the reason why I learned the work around. If not for the work around, I might have had to rebuild my whole system. It's nothing scary for me, but would waste a view hours. BTW, when my OS switched off some permissions, it was the Canon drivers that got hit.
Thanks for the heads up on Qimage.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
You might be right about the Qimage software, but I wouldn’t know anything about it, because I wouldn’t be caught dead using Qimage, and as far as I’m concerned it’s just a poor man’s Photoshop, and a very poor one at that.. That’s what I reckon..
I only use it because of the hack that allows to bypass the large margins settings for fine-art/matte papers on my Canon Pro-10s.
Yes, Qimage's user interface is nothing to write home about, to put it mildly, and no way it can replace Photoshop.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
once-in-a-while does involve the odd peek and "poke" into the OS (peek/poke are old old term for reading/writing register values)
Yes I have used the peek and poke for screen locations too, back in the old days..
But then some lucky bastard invented Dos…:hugs
because of the hack that allows to bypass the large margins settings for fine-art/matte papers on my Canon Pro-10s.
I suppose if it can hack that then it can effect most other things too..
I am just surprised they were not sued by Canon Inc.:eek:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
As you suppose, that hack isn't boldly advertised by Qimage, so probably Canon knows nothing about it.
I don't recall how it came to my attention Possibly in one of Jose Rodriguez livestreams ?. Also, somebody here explained how it worked ( @palombian ? ).
QImage doesn't say anything either about automatically disabling advanced printing capabilities. What it seems dumb is that if the program, by any reason, needs to disable those driver properties for working properly, when you close Qimage, it should restore the driver to the former condition, instead of forcing the user to do it manually afterwards.