ultra sonic jewellery cleaners for Canon print head cleaning

johnp

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience of using ultrasonic cleaners for cleaning canon print heads.

I have been using an IP3000 and now have two IP4500 printers. I have been able to clean the dye based ink channels using warm/hot water, soaking over several days though I did resort to a micro wave once. However the 3000 is used much less frequently so clogs more often and the dye based ink on the IP4500 has now given a very obstinate clog.

So I am looking for a fairly straightforward cleaning technique. Ultrasonic cleaning ought to work well, especially if appropriate solvents could be used. So has anyone any experience of using them? They are available for 25-35 so considering how much money is saved its not a lot.

If they work and combined with a chip resetter could solve all the refilling problems.( at least all if I would remember to wear gloves!)

Any help or info greatly appreciated.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I wonder if it would work too ? I know it can be used for epson printers but htye use piezo heads.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Grandad35 said:
I have never tried an ultrasonic cleaner, but there have been posts recommending against this - e.g. (http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=14220#p14220). I know that there was some additional discussion on this several years ago, if you want to search through the older posts.
I forgot about that post, I think that the reason why normal canon print head fails is because it uses rubber seals inside and perhaps some type of sealant on it. That is why it is no recommended to dismantle the head and remove the ceramics etc.

Ultrasound cleaner if the head is filled with water fully submerged in liquid will remove that sealant and some rubber parts can be displaced etc.

So I it would be nice if somebody could try to clean a badly clogged head by making sure it is empty from any liquid by blowing to the pickup ports, then somehow seal the ports. And submerge just the nozzles in a ultrasound cleaning bath for short intervals of 10 - 20 secs.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
LOL.. I tried and fried 2 heads this way... Just don't.

Edit: the fully submerged approach I mean...

johnp

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Folks
Thats brilliant info. Thanks very much. No ultrasonic cleaner to be used on Canon heads then.

So its back to all the other methods for cleaning heads.

Has anyone got a good method for cleaning pigmented ink on an ip4500?

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
johnp said:
Has anyone got a good method for cleaning pigmented ink on an ip4500?
Yes dont use pigmented ink (black). I get by by refilling with dye black , BUT be aware that this is water soluble if I print post address labels that may experience moisture (via rain) I seal with a fixative spray. This I prefer more than trying to clear a clogged head , the spray works very well, I always test to make sure.
For personal documents , in the home use., statements etc., it does very well. For letters etc perhaps you could use a standby PG5 cart .

Some people say you should not use dye ink in a cart that has previously had pigment in , it forms a "gel" within the cart..............I have never seen this ....(.but perhaps I have been lucky.)........some respected Bulk Ink suppliers prefer to supply dye black to refillers because they know that pigment with high use in the same cart may block the cart.

As pigmented ink varies a lot from different suppliers , it may be safer to avoid clogs by doing this if you are refilling a PG5 on a frequent basis.

johnp.......is the pigment a problem within the cart or within the head..or both ?.............you decide.

johnp

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi headphonesman
I have pretty much decided on using dye based ink in the pigmented cartridge. My problem is in the print head. The cartridge is OK I think. There are a couple of sections of the head which refuse to print, will not clean despite soaking in warm water, methalated spirit etc.

We do address labels most days and have "got away with it" in the past using dye based inks. I bought some bulk pigmented ink thinking it would work OK. It worked fine for a while but as I say I now have a clog. So it is back to the dye based ink for the future. Your suggestion of a spray is a good idea.

I just hope I can clean the head for the pigmented black which would at least give us a spare machine. From now to Christmas is chaos time for us and I like to have everything sorted and working fine in October.

Molitor

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've never used a ultrasonic cleaner, but I've used a waterpik ("dental irrigator" device designed to blast water between your teeth) with good results on my IP6700D. You use it on the intake ports/screen part of the head. Given the crickets my post got, I'm apparently the only one, but hey, works for me: :cool:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2903&p=1