Two different HP02 Continuous Flow Systems

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Hey Panos...

I've been trying to get my mitts on an HP K-550 so I could check out stuff like this but as yet haven't had any luck so I can't help much.. It does look a little like there is some kind of loop in one of those systems though so I'd dig around for HP users to see if they can shed any light on this...

Do feedback though woncha.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hey Martin, thanks! I'll try to contact the chinese manufacturer, see if he has more info.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Martin, just an update: I have been contacted by Shenzhen Colorsun and they've told me that both systems have the same functionality:

``There is no big difference between those two models. Both of the them work well, but I'll let you know that we usually manufacture the HP 02 CIS with the one tube becuase it's more popular in the market. The wholesale price of the HP02 CIS with one tube and two tube is the same,,

They've also sent me instructions but I can't send those in the forum. Check your email though, and hopefully you'll be able to make some conclusions that can be posted on the forum.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hmm... bit odd that they have two different types of system and the question I'd want answered is why two tubes?

However for all that, assuming the K550 is the correct printer for those carts I'm pretty sure that the deal with these CIS's is that the printer itself already has a pre-installed CIS.. ie: it's designed with an ink feed system that keeps the cartridges still and just feeds the printheads.

As a result a CIS is simply providing a bigger tank capacity and of course, simplified refilling... For all that you do need to know whether there's any clever anti-refill tech or stuff like collapsible bags in the original carts that might explain the need for extra tubing...

I'll look at that info when you send it over but I suspect a look around for some disassembled original cartridge images would be useful to put it all in context.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
The printer list for those ink tanks is shown at http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF17a/A10-12771-64199-69422-69422-468134.html

Both the K550 tanks and the 02 tanks provide ink for the internal CIS of the printer. However the newer 02 tank CIS provides a suction system to remove ink from the printhead back to the cartridge after finishing printing, in order to avoid cleaning cycles. There was a posting by Grandad that provided further explanation if I remember correctly. So the two tubes must have something to do with this.

I sent you the instruction.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well I may be finding out myself soon.. I've just managed to lay my hands on a K550 unit that should be on its way soon enough..

The suction return system does sound familiar though so you may be right and apologies for the wait but I've been snowballed this past few months..

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
panos said:
The printer list for those ink tanks is shown at http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF17a/A10-12771-64199-69422-69422-468134.html

Both the K550 tanks and the 02 tanks provide ink for the internal CIS of the printer. However the newer 02 tank CIS provides a suction system to remove ink from the printhead back to the cartridge after finishing printing, in order to avoid cleaning cycles.
Ok... I'm not sure if this suction loop system is actually available to us in this instance because try as I might I can't seem to find out how they are supposed to be used in the K550.. As near as I can tell they aren't compatible at all so you might want to ditch the idea of using the 2 tube system. It probably still works but just doesn't need that extra set of tubing..

Still on the hunt for reasonably kits though and waiting for my supplier to get back so I can talk to him about decent inks, etc..

EDIT: Please excuse me while I knock my head against a brick wall... You were of course originally asking about the HP02 cartridges and here's me prattling on about my own needs.. :p In short.. ignore me :rolleyes:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Ok.. now that I have my head on straight I've done a little digging and had an email back from the seller of these kits.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....80044698949&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

The response time was pretty good and looking at the installation instructions I could see some people having a problem with the lack of pictures when it comes to priming the system.

Further to that I also had a chance to speak to my contact at Gemini Colours and found out that the key things to remember with most of the printers now is that the inks are pretty much the same and most cartridges are just upgraded to include a new chip.. Ordinarily it'd be a piece of proverbial pee to adapt an original cartridge to a CIS if it weren't for the need for a reset chip.

.. and just as I was writing that last bit I got a pretty darned quick reply from the seller again explaining that he sells the carts and the auto-reset chips seperately so if you just want those you can grab them here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&viewitem=&item=280045037139&rd=1&rd=1
.. and use them with your own tubing and reservoirs which is what I plan to do.

Hope that helps..