TS9020 partial loss of cyan color

nickb

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi, I'm having a problem with my TS9010 printer where the cyan color is only partially printing. I've attached a nozzle check, the jpg was taken from my phone and the pdf was from generated by the scanner (note, for some reason the scanner appears to show problems with the other colors that I can't detect bye eye or in the jpg).

Background: I'm using precision colors ink and refillable carts. I wasn't having issues with the first two sets of Canon carts, this only started after the blue ran low on the refillable's so I'm sure it's something I've done wrong and not with the ink (which is great btw).

Things I have done so far to try and fix this:
1. Taken out the blue cart and manipulated the sponge using a paperclip to create a channel for ink to flow (as shown in the PC video).
2. Blown through the top air chamber to make sure ink flows from the exit port (it does).
3. Soaked the print head in 1/2" of original Windex for 24 hours, using the paper towel method to get the fluid flowing in and out of the head/ports.

The nozzle checks still look the same as before. I'm wondering if this is a failure of the printhead or if I just need to do a more thorough job of cleaning it. All advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• CyanProblem.jpg
    CyanProblem.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_20191231_0001.pdf
    337.6 KB · Views: 465

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Do not print anything other than nozzle checks until the issue is cleared or you might permanently burnout Cyan nozzles in the print head.

At this point, the Cyan issue looks like ink starvation. Either try a new Cyan cartridge or flush and refill the current Cyan cartridge.

The artifacts you see in the PDF file are caused by certain scanner software settings, or a lack of certain settings. Here is a thread by @PeterBJ on resolving these artifacts:

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...canon-nozzle-check-using-a-cis-scanner.11398/
Happy New Year!

nickb

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks, and happy new year to you too!

I purged the cyan cart last night, dried it out, and refilled this morning. Unfortunately there is no change in the nozzle check. Next step is to buy another set of carts to see if this one is "bad". Alternatively, I do have a brand new Canon gray cart I could use. Would it be okay to use that just to see if I have a cart issue?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I do have a brand new Canon gray cart I could use. Would it be okay to use that just to see if I have a cart issue?
That would work nicely, but you’ll have to swap the chip over first, the refillable carts for your printer are notoriously difficult at maintaining a good refill, OEM carts are a better option…

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I remember that I have seen such a nozzle check pattern several times already over the years - here and in the German Druckerchannel forum alike - and I'm afraid to say that these are strong signs that the printhead has reached the end of its useful life, that this cyan problem cannot be cleaned away. You may try this and that and it would be fine if it helps but I would be reluctant to invest into anything costly anymore and rather spend the money for a new printhead.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Unfortunately there is no change in the nozzle check.
Please print, scan, crop and post the new nozzle check.

As Ink Stained Fingers said, this might be a permanent and irreparable issue with the print head. Best to try the least expensive methods of testing if you can, which is usually flush and refill. Swapping chips onto a known working cartridge of another color is also cost effective if done properly.

The idea is to control for other cartridge complications by using a new or known working cartridge for this initial diagnostic testing.

nickb

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I couldn't find the exact settings in my scanner (from the link you included) but was able to alter a couple and generate the following from a new nozzle check. I have a new cyan cart arriving tomorrow to re-test.

IMG_20200102_0001 (2).jpg

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Nice quality scan. Well done on the adjustments! :thumbsup

Please include the entire nozzle check in the future cropped similarly to what you've done.

nickb

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My new carts came in yesterday, they are refillable cartridges like my original set but are a slightly different design and using different ink. I installed the cyan cart and ran a cleaning, let it sit overnight and then ran another cleaning. Here are the results (to me this looks better).
New_Cyan_Cart_IMG_20200104_0003 (2).jpg

Compared to the old cyan cart below:

OldCyanCart_IMG_20200104_0004 (2).jpg

Note, I think there's some cross contamination going on as I had the cyan cart out of the printer for more than a few hours each time. That goes away after printing a few more nozzle checks/cleanings but I didn't want to keep doing that until I get more advice on how to proceed.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
the results (to me this looks better)
To me as well. Try a nozzle check tomorrow and if still not 100% run a regular cleaning, nozzle check and then let sit again over night. As long as things continue to improve then you may get out of this without buying a new print head or printer. I am not convinced yet the nozzle check will return to normal but the improvement is undeniable.

If the Cyan nozzle check slowly improves with a new cartridge then there may be clogging in the nozzles of the print head. In this case, flushing and soaking for a day or more - patience being the key! - may speed things along.

My new carts came in yesterday, they are refillable cartridges
I do not recommend using an aftermarket cartridge to diagnose or resolve your issue. No aftermarket cartridge performs as consistently or is as long lived as an OEM Canon cartridge. You are adding an unnecessary confounder to the procedure that may prevent success.

Note, I think there's some cross contamination going on as I had the cyan cart out of the printer for more than a few hours each time.
Interesting. I have never experienced this myself nor is it a common experience if this forum is our guide. This could mean your Cyan is leaking, the seal about the Cyan or Yellow Cartridge/print head ink inlet port is bad, or an irreparable malfunction inside the print head nozzles that is not electrically related. Is there Cyan ink about the ink inlet ports of the print head? Using refillable third party cartridges may be the origin of the problem.