Trouble with Canon Pro-10s software downloads and installation

Peter W

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-7720DTWF
Hi all,

As has been documented here by others, the setup process of the Pro-10s is unbelievably messy and frustrating. However, I've managed most of it. Hooking up to WiFi was fun. It wasn't accepting the WPS signal and even though the blue light came steadily on, there was no connection. Anyway it's fixed now, I don't know how (which is a worry) but it is.

There are two problems remaining though I'd guess they won't be my last.

1. There's something called "Canon IJ Printer Utility" which allows me to do some basic maintenance from the computer. But I can't find it anywhere although I did download and install the whole software + drivers package. Navigating through various Canon websites always takes me to "Canon IJ Scanner Utility" which on a Pro-10s clearly isn't useful. I do have something called "Canon My Printer" which really is useless as it only works with a cable connection, not WiFi as I have, but it in any case doesn't allow e.g. the printing of an alignment page.

2. Then there is Print Studio Pro which I found at Canon Hong Kong (Canon UK mentions it but gives no links). I have V2.2.3. I have it downloaded, but when I attempt to add it to Photoshop as a plugin (by running "Canon Print Sudio Pro Plug-In Install" utility) it comes back with an error that a compatible version of Photoshop is not installed. I use Photoshop CC 2017 which the accompanying blurb tells me is a compatible version.

The good news is that after a 300 mile courier trip my "new" secondhand printer seems fine, it printed some test pages without a hiccup. And the package I ordered from Octoinkjet came and is super comprehensive, looks like everything I could possibly need except tissue paper. Scale, clips, needles, you name it.

Well on the way to some lovely prints, I hope.

Peter

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Hi Peter.

Owning myself a Pro10s, I agree about the setup. In my case, Wifi installation wasn’t what I’d call fun but tiresome and frustrating. In the end, I had to do it using initially a USB cable. WPS button, automatic detection ..nothing worked.
Recently I discovered that part of the problem was my former router. I have now another brand of router which seems to be ‘in better terms’ with the printer. No more need to use an USB cable for the initial setup of the LAN connection.

I never installed Print Studio Pro and I don’t know what it does but my guess is that most users don’t bother with it.
‘IJ Printer utility’ wasn’t installed in my computer. What I have is ‘My Printer’ ,’IJ network device’ and ‘IJ Network tool’. The last one is useful for finding the printer if it fails to be automatically detected by the computer.

I wouldn’t know about Mac, but on Windows, all the Canon programs are installed by default at the location : “C: \Program Files (x86)\Canon\.." so, check if you have a subfolder named “C: \Program Files (x86)\Canon\Canon IJ printer utility\"
If there’s no such folder then this utility wasn’t installed. Again, I never felt the need to use it, so probably it isn’t of much service.

As a side note, I never install the ‘whole package’ if the install program allows me to choose ‘customized setup’. Manufacturers include usually a bunch of useless utilities that are only a waste of disk space.

Enjoy your Pro10s. It’s a very nice machine, sturdy, easy to refill and less fussy than a Pro1 (sorry @The Hat ;) )

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Enjoy your Pro10s. It’s a very nice machine, sturdy, easy to refill and less fussy than a Pro1 (sorry @The Hat ;) )
Ha Ha, Arthur5, Why are you sorry, I agree with you, the Pro 1 for me was a very argumentative machine and insisted on using its own settings each time I used it, my own setting were always deleted despite saving them.
As a side note, I never install the ‘whole package’ if the install program allows me to choose ‘customized setup’. Manufacturers include usually a bunch of useless utilities that are only a waste of disk space.
As for installing a new Canon printer, the only compulsory thing you need is an internet connection and the print driver, after that everything else is unnecessary, I would recommend the Pro 10 over the Pro 1 anytime, it’s a more amenable printer to work with..

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Agree with @The Hat , only install the printer driver.

My PRO-10 is installed as 2 printers, one with USB and another with Wifi (not on wired LAN since all my router ports are used).
You have to do it this way because the PRO-10 is not a real network printer as the Maxify.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
EDITED to correct inaccuracy

Small point to note... the Print Studio Pro relies on having OEM cartridges that have either:
- OEM Standard (not "setup") cartridges... refilled/reset or not.
...or...
- OEM Setup cartridges that have not been refilled/reset.

Most of the other maintenance tasks can be resolved with the standard driver, via Settings > Devices > Printers & scanners > [Pro-10] > Printing preferences > maintenance [tab]

Last edited:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Small point to note... the Print Studio Pro relies on having OEM cartridges that have not been reset or refilled so best keep that in mind. Most of the other maintenance tasks can be resolved with the standard driver, via Settings > Devices > Printers & scanners > [Pro-10] > Printing preferences > maintenance [tab]

Strange.

Out of curiosity I tried a print on the PRO-10 with the Print Studio Pro Lightroom plugin (V 2.2.3).
No problem with refilled and reset carts (although only the PRO-10 was visible, not the PRO-9500II).
I see no interest in this application, it is mostly an enhanced front-end for the driver.

PS: I also printed last week tons of Canon Creative Park Halloween stuff for my grandchildren on the refilled 9500, no problem at all either.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
.. the Print Studio Pro relies on having OEM cartridges that have not been reset or refilled so best keep that in mind
This issue only applies if your still using the original setup carts that came with your machine, normal purchased carts that have been refilled and reset work just fine… No problem…

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
This issue only applies if your still using the original setup carts that came with your machine, normal purchased carts that have been refilled and reset work just fine… No problem…
Ah.. colour my knowledge bank updated. I shall update the post...