Top Filling CLI 520/521 instructions needed

GT550Dan

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I said I'd be back and here I am!

I've trawled the forum and haven't quite found a definitive guide to Top Filling of Canon cartridges.

I've de-balled and washed the carts that I got from ebay and am just about to get my kit from Octoink, using Squeazy bottles.

(Thanks to The Hat and mrelmo for your words of wisdom on de-balling and purging which all worked a treat)

Now it seems easy enough to grasp, just wedge the needle in the top and squeeze the bottle, right?

No, I thought not.

I know that you Refilling Ninjas have suffered and succeeded and (being intrinsically lazy) I am quite prepared to let you tell me the right
way and the pitfalls to avoid, so that I don't have to clutter my mind with all that angst.

Thanks in advance

GT550Dan

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat comes through as always, thanks very much.

I read on into the thread you sent and Mikling (I think) mentions about partially filling and then sealing the air vent and refilling some more followed by keeping the vent sealed whilst sealing the filling hole.

Does this make the cartridge less likely to leak?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
GT550Dan said:
The Hat comes through as always, thanks very much.

I read on into the thread you sent and Mikling (I think) mentions about partially filling and then sealing the air vent and refilling some more followed by keeping the vent sealed whilst sealing the filling hole.

Does this make the cartridge less likely to leak?
Yes and no its like using belt and braces both ways are correct you decide.

Your cartridge will only leak if and its a big if, you're refill hole whether its the Canon fill hole or one you drilled yourself
is not sealed 100% air tight and thats not like nearly sealed or 99.5% either.

If you follow the steps you have read from any of the proper ways to refill and get it right
then you can go on from there and with practice do it in your sleep.

When you remove the orange clip from the outlet hole of your cartridge it can drip anything up to a dozen drops of ink
depending how full you filled your cartridge but no more, thats the best indication youll have as to how well you have sealed up the refill hole,
if it doesnt stop dripping then put back on the orange clip and reseal the refill hole properly again.

Don't forget to reset the chip before you start to refill..:)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
There's a PDF guide here too..

Note: The above is a direct link... If it's updated then the link will probably fail so a quick visit to this page:
http://www.octoink.co.uk/kb/questions/103/
... and checking the attachment links (bottom of page) should suffice..

GT550Dan

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks very much The Hat and Websnail, as always, much appreciated.

Feeling a lot more informed/confident about refilling.

Have just taken delivery of a refilling setup from octoink and am just waiting for my canon cartridges to run out!

A question though, as the black ink (both dye and pigment) seem to take a long time to empty as opposed to the CMYG ones can I mix I.S. inks and Canon or is it best to wait.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
GT550Dan said:
A question though, as the black ink (both dye and pigment) seem to take a long time to empty as opposed to the CMYG ones
can I mix I.S. inks and Canon or is it best to wait.
I have had no problems whatsoever mixing all my Canon and I.S. ink together, but if you are worried about colour profiling
and need exact colours then it is recommend to purge your Colour cartridges before filling
with your new inks otherwise you can forget it, your good to go.. :thumbsup

GT550Dan

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks The Hat

I'll be waiting, no point rushing.

Thank you and everyone else for your help and support.

GT550Dan