[Tool] ChromIQ – a macOS and Windows GUI for ArgyllCMS printer profiling (v4.3.0)

Thank you for all the support. Unfortunately my printer stopped working due to some power supply issue. So I not going to be doing any printing for some time. Hope to rejoin once printing resumes.
 
@ajaytanna
That sounds annoying. You just spent all this time for the calibration and now this…

@jctay
Oh sorry, I misunderstood this question :D
No, the beta versions don’t stop working. It is just the easiest way to share progress with Knut and other people who want to test stuff without increasing the version number everytime a minor fix goes in. Sometimes we used to release multiple new beta versions every day and I think someone who just wants to try the app does not want to get so many notifications. Last night I released two new betas and since Claude misunderstood what I wanted the last time a third one is coming in a few minutes. Also some people are experiencing printing issues from withon the app on macOS so I am trying to look into this as well…
But the app is not paid or so. So there is no real reason to build a timer into the beta versions. This would just he another thing that needs maintanance.
 
For all the macOS users:

I have some hope that with the latest beta version I have fixed the printing issues on macOS.
A user with a Canon Pro 1000 printer reported that the charts printed from ChromIQ looked different compared to the same chart printed from ACPU or Apples ColorSync Utility.
So since I now have a little more experience in working with AI I thought I might give it another try.
Claude looked into the issue and found that when printing with a Canon macOS does a conversion of the image before it is sent to the printer.
If in the the driver dialog you select semigloss paper macOS does the conversion from the profile that is currently assigned to the image you want to print to the profile the printer uses for semigloss. Testcharts created with Argyll and in turn with ChromIQ have colorspace device RGB. MacOS interprets this as sRGB and then does a conversion from sRGB to Canons semigloss ICC profile.
Claude analyzed how Photoshop handles this when printing with Photoshop manages color. It seems that PS figures out the ICC profile the printer is expecting for the selected media type and then before sending the image to the printer assigns the very same ICC profile to the image that gets sent to the printer. MacOS now sees that the sent image already matches what the printer expects and in turn does no further conversion.
So Claude applied the same behaviour to ChromIQ.

To test this I have tried to create a profile for my Canon Pro 300 with Epson Premium semi-gloss paper again.
In the screenshot you can see a comparison between the profile I have created today with my Colormunki compared to the one Keith Cooper created a while ago based on my request. They are not exactly the same but pretty similar I think. Keith has better equipment than I have, certainly measured more patches and his profile was created in i1Profiler instead of colprof.


6138565-691dd00587d8e8125924cea25eb52e2b.jpg.png

When I tried the same in June with the old printing approach my profile had a 30% smaller gamut which was clearly wrong. Claude also confirmed that Epson printers behave differently.

I have attached my project from ChromIQ with the measured chart and the ICC profile I have created if anyone wants to check.

The latest beta version can be downloaded here if anyone wants to give it a try:

https://github.com/itsab1989/ChromIQ/releases/tag/v4.3.3-beta.16


BTW on macOS you can now also install ChromIQ via Homebrew.

Latest Stable:

brew install --cask itsab1989/chromiq/chromiq

Latest Beta:

brew install --cask itsab1989/chromiq/chromiq@beta
 

Attachments

Back
Top