Too much ink from 5PGBK ?

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Aussieinker,
If I'm not mistaken,propylene glycol is sold as RV antifreeze(it's pink).It is not poisonous to drink like normal antifreeze.But,the RV antifreeze is not 100% PG,there is water in the mixture.I think the post about using it in the cartridge was at 3%.The typical auto-store/Walmart stuff would be in a much higher concentration-like 30% or so.

I don't see any real difference in where the hole goes for injection,particularly if using a sharp needle.But I understand your reasoning.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
To make things easier: propylene glycol can be replaced by glycerine/glycerol. A good ratio for propylene glycol to glycerol is 3 to 2, since glycerol has a higher viscosity. Glycerine is hydrated glycerol (waterfree version).

martop

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well so far I am not having any problems with the prints, no marks :) I have taken on board all the advice given to my first post, applying slight negative presure to card is now part of loading the printer, best to develop a simple habit than waste a print.

The black pigment cart is that seems to cause the mess on the print head not being used, I will when time allows drain it and see whats gone wrong though I suspect its a mix of 2 holes and a lifted sponge as I did clean it a few times and never tapped the sponge down. I also think its been a little over filled though I did bleed a few drops off the cart it seems to part with ink rather too easily.

I had a good look at all the other carts and they seem fine except for the yellow cli-8, there seems to be a small piece of sponge in the ink tank, this could have come from the sharp needle I used, even though its a surgical 22 gauge sterile, its tip is not so smooth as it seems to snag on the sponge, I would hate one of these things ramed in my arm :-(

So for now, I will put into practice all the advice all you kind folks have offered, as well as some I have read in other posts but will leave the needle poking for another time as I intend to top fill, been practicing on a old cart with the only silicone bung I have, home made but works. I cant be making a set of them as it takes too long and I may be using the wrong type of silicone so have bought some from mikling's site on ebay as they seem to be prefect for this.

I have the ball removal sorted by drilling 3mm into the ball and screwing a small screw I have from an old clock and pulling it out so thats about it, problem seems sorted, thanks for all the help, every day I learn something new thanks to this forum and the great help given.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Another way is to heat the screw and push it into the ball.Let it cool a bit and the plastic ball adheres well.Then pull it out.No drilling.

Aussieinker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Avolanche
Thanks for the anitfreeze idea went to Kmart auto section and found antifreeze 65g/lit which works out to be 6.5%, with a small amount of bittering agent to stop the kids drinking it.
I am going to run a trial on it today with some alcohol added, I will report back.