To buy virgin or not to buy virgin :\

FRUSTRATED PRINTER GUY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello All,

So I am in a quandary. Do I..........buy clear, non OEM 225 and 226's, with a chip and filled.

OR

Do I buy clear, non OEM 225 and 226's, with a chip and NOT FILLED.

I know it seems like a very simple question but I am wondering the following. Is there any true "reliability" factor if I get the ones WITH the ink in it VS virgin ones ?

I know in the perfect world that buying OEM's and refilling them is the best road but I'd prefer not to deal with the dark 225/221 cartridges.

Here is another item that put a question mark on my head. I sent off an email to a seller that is offering the virgin 225/226's and asked him about the "Durchstich" refill method and this was his response that I found VERY surprising.

"Obviously we would neither recommend NOR support drilling any unnecessary additional holes into these cartridges like the duestsch method".

Being introduced to the "Durchstich" refill method only about a week ago, is the "Durchstich" refill method only suggested for OEM's ? Am I Missing something here ?

Any input is appreciated and thank you in advance.

ohata0

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
An alternate option is to try and buy cli-221 and replace the chips. Very good if you can find the ones w/ clear windows on the side. Considering that canon sent me cartridges that have the clear window (bought a refurb mp990 recently), you probably should still be able to find them. Probably would want to verify that they do have the clear window before you buy.

From what I've read, you don't want to get the non OEM carts. Like poor quality ink, non OEM carts could cause problems with the printer later on, such as leaking or clogging, or starving the print head. But then again, I guess you could run into those problems no matter what you use. Maybe someone here has good (long term) experience with certain brands of non OEM refillable carts.

I think if you still end up purchasing non OEM carts, then you wouldn't have to drill any holes...most of the non OEM carts that I've seen are refillable via the top fill method (and they tend to come with their own plugs). Although the german method wouldn't be very good to use with opaque cartridges, you can still fill them via top fill (and use something like a toothpick as a measuring stick to gauge "fullness").

If you are extremely patient (and have lots of free time), I think there some sort of drip method, which requires you to slowly drip ink into the outlet port, which will get soaked up by the sponge and the excess would fill the reservoir. Not sure if that's completely correct, but I think the method was something like that.

Disclaimer: I never actually started refilling yet, and I'm only really learning about all of these things now...so it'd probably be best if you take my advice with that in mind.

FRUSTRATED PRINTER GUY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ohata0 said:
An alternate option is to try and buy cli-221 and replace the chips. Very good if you can find the ones w/ clear windows on the side. Considering that canon sent me cartridges that have the clear window (bought a refurb mp990 recently), you probably should still be able to find them. Probably would want to verify that they do have the clear window before you buy.

From what I've read, you don't want to get the non OEM carts. Like poor quality ink, non OEM carts could cause problems with the printer later on, such as leaking or clogging, or starving the print head. But then again, I guess you could run into those problems no matter what you use. Maybe someone here has good (long term) experience with certain brands of non OEM refillable carts.

I think if you still end up purchasing non OEM carts, then you wouldn't have to drill any holes...most of the non OEM carts that I've seen are refillable via the top fill method (and they tend to come with their own plugs). Although the german method wouldn't be very good to use with opaque cartridges, you can still fill them via top fill (and use something like a toothpick as a measuring stick to gauge "fullness").

If you are extremely patient (and have lots of free time), I think there some sort of drip method, which requires you to slowly drip ink into the outlet port, which will get soaked up by the sponge and the excess would fill the reservoir. Not sure if that's completely correct, but I think the method was something like that.

Disclaimer: I never actually started refilling yet, and I'm only really learning about all of these things now...so it'd probably be best if you take my advice with that in mind.
Well done and well said indeed. What you have written is everything that I have recently read as well. The word is out that the 220/221's are coming out dark and that could be an issue. :barnie

Makes sense on the German method not making sense as there is the top fill method that can be used on the virgin ones.

I am not wanting to break the rules here, (yes, I have read the FAQ/RULES), but from what I can see, there is a company that has been mentioned on this site with a link, (can I post a company name with a link), Named merit_______, (walk a straight _______), Fill in the 1st blank with the word from the 2nd blank. LOL. As many companies, they are selling pre filled ones.

Anyone want to chime in ? :drool :drool Pleeeeeease :) :)

Get your refill on buddy !!!!! Its truly a joy and a wonderful satisfaction when its all said and done.

ohata0

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I know...I'm gonna return the ink I bought from amazon because I just bought a 2nd refurb mp990 for slightly over the cost of ink...yeah. Gotta start refilling from now on. WAAAAAAAAAY to expensive >_<

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
FRUSTRATED PRINTER GUY
So I am in a quandary. Do I..........buy clear, non OEM 225 and 226's, with a chip and filled.

OR

Do I buy clear, non OEM 225 and 226's, with a chip and NOT FILLED.
If you are going to buy non OEM cartridges then I would recommend that
you buy them prefilled from one of the many good suppliers.

Refilling non OEM cartridges can and usually does end in problems one way or the other.
Non OEM cartridges are designed to be used once and disposed of when empty
and they usually perform well enough to a point.

Their manufacture doesnt even come close to matching that of Canons quality
so they can so easily fail when pushed beyond their design.

Empty non compatible cartridges are designed the very same way so the more times therere filled
the bigger chance they have of failure, (reliability is not their middle name) and of course they dont recommend "Durchstich" .

ohata0 An alternate option is to try and buy cli-221 and replace the chips.
Very good if you can find the ones w/ clear windows on the side.
ohata0 admits to not knowing much about refilling but is a bit modest in my opinion
as he has gives good advice to you on one of the best ways of refilling successfully.

Reliable and long term refilling success can only be achieved (my opinion) by using the best cartridges available
and they are of course genuine Canon cartridges, they should even outlast your printer..:woot