Tiny-wee little spring

paullowry

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson 3800, p800
Ok thank you. I already own a P800 but since I’m trying to set up a K7 printer this old 3800 is not replaceable (yet). Used 3800s are around $500, and 3880s $800, I noticed there are a few at $200 that are sold as MK printers only, seems Bob is right about this generic defect.

Bob, you mention an initial fill after replacing the ink assembly. I detached the damper housing in order to flush the print head but simply reattached it without replacing it. Should this man-oeuvre have been followed by some kind of an ink re-initialization procedure and explain why I have no ink flow since ( I had partial ink flow after the damaged capping station repair and before taking the printer apart).

Paul

Last edited:

bobjoek

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Paul,

There may be two possibilities:
1. When you detached the dampers, you may have got some air into the ink lines/dampers/printer head. Sometimes the air bubbles are difficult to remove without doing an initial fill.
2. With the missing spring and potentially other issues with your capping station, the capping station may not be sealing properly with the printer head. If this is the case, printer cleaning cycles will be not effective.

I'm betting your problem is #2 above, and replacing the pump/capping assembly will probably solve your problem, providing the printer head is not damaged. After replacing the pump/capping assembly, a few nozzle cleaning cycles should be all that are needed. As you plan to set this printer up for piezography, fixing the PK/MK problem is not necessary.

Bob

paullowry

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson 3800, p800
OK , I'll prep for surgery and be back with an update at some point in the future.

Thanks to all

Paul