This may mean the end of refilling for me.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Tin Ho said:
I thought you said your cartridges are no longer recognized. How could you print the EEPROM data still? Even you could the EEPROM data printed is from the EEPROM in the print head. It records activities associated with the print head.

I just did a refill of a PGI5 ink cartridge of a 3 months new ip4300. It should have the latest revision of firmware in it. The LED of the PGI5 is dimmed and refilling was completed without any problems.
Because I couldn't print with my previous sets of chip cartridges since they are not able to recognized anymore and I had to buy new original cartridges, to print out the EEPROM. Which is how I could print out the the EEPROM from with the replacement board and compare them with my EEPROM data from my old logic board. Yes these EEPROM provides activities associated with the printhead and ink usage.

As to the ink issue on that thread and why you never heard from it since is I couldn't do more test because I did it half way and I had other problem that I need to resolve before continuing with the test and until I have more test I couldn't update that thread. I usually do more test before drawing conclusion which is why my testing usually take quite sometime. It can takes months before I finally feel that I can feedback on the result and my test. I hope you try to be a little understanding that I need time to resolve one problem before I can proceed to resolves another problem.

I guessed you were right that I had a lot of problems that others from this forum do not have. So I guessed lin is the problem here. :D

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Lin could you please post (list) the model # of your Canon printer and the ROM version from the old and new boards. Hopefully other members with the same Canon printer can compare your ROM versions with there own ROM version #.

Lin dont give up you are doing a good job posting all this information and I hope you will be able to resolve this problem.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Tin Ho said:
Lin, you are having a lot of problems other do not have. And you are not listening to suggestions. If you don't listen why bother to ask?

It would be indeed the end of refilling for you if you are not willing to take suggestions but insist in believing that Canon has done it to keep you (only you) from refilling. Everyone else will continue to enjoy from refilling and you are the one who complains otherwise.
Sorry if I had missed the solution you were trying to give.

Exactly what is your suggestion here? I tried re-reading you all replies here. My English is not good and so maybe I missed the solution or suggestion you were trying to give here.

Yes, you suggested that it's not impossible to refill despite that the board version is different. Would you be kind enough to mention the post number at this thread again where you were actually offering suggestion/solution to what I could to overcome my encounter above where my previous first sets of chips are unable to be recognized after a replacement of logic board. I had re-read all your replies and I do not know which one is explicitly suggesting a solution. I will retest all over again. When I first posted (#1), I had inserted these cartridges in and out of the printhead numerous time and they show they cannot be recognized. That may give me the illusion that now this new board cannot be recognizing my previous sets of chips. Maybe my test wasn't thorough. I will not give up and would try all over again.

Actually I really appreciate that you have took the time to response to my thread and offer suggestion.

And also thanks to tigerwan, nanosec and Ron350 and Tin Ho for replying and looking at my post.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Ron350 said:
Lin could you please post (list) the model # of your Canon printer and the ROM version from the old and new boards. Hopefully other members with the same Canon printer can compare your ROM versions with there own ROM version #.

Lin dont give up you are doing a good job posting all this information and I hope you will be able to resolve this problem.
Hi Ron350, Tin Ho said he had offerred suggestion and solution here but I kind of maybe misread the suggestion he was giving. Re-reading his posts here, I still hasn't figure out which of his reply was the suggestion/solution. Let me try what he suggested after he replies which post number here where he mentioned was the solution/suggestion. Hopefully that resolves it.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Tin Ho said:
Lin, I made the suggestion in this thread in message #16, #18 and #30. You somehow kept ignoring it. I eventually gave up and said that I was out of any more suggestions. Ron350 is right. Don't give up.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=117&p=1
Hi I thought the suggestion of solution you are referring was to this thread.

As to the ink issue, I tried to blow air to the vent on top of the sponge that time at that thread, however, it's not doing anything so there could be other possibility. I didn't reply that I had already blew air to the vent because I thought that would somehow give you the idea that I had done that and it's not resolve the issue. Initially I thought it was ink issue at that thread but you said is may not be and Grandad35 suggested it maybe surface tension.

Tin Ho said:
It would be indeed the end of refilling for you if you are not willing to take suggestions but insist in believing that Canon has done it to keep you (only you) from refilling. Everyone else will continue to enjoy from refilling and you are the one who complains otherwise.
Just wanna to clarify. When I started this thread, I didn't start it with that direction of complaining. More of feedback to the fellow regular members who had help me with my other questions that I may not be able to refill anymore so other test which I said I will feedback will not be possible. Just like the thread for ink issue. Anyway, my first post did said that I am not 100% sure that after having change my logic board that I am completely remove from refilling capability and I need more test to further draw my conclusion.

Thanks for the support and I hope I can figure out this one out and how to get the printer to recognise these 2 complete sets of chips which were originally capable of being recognised. Really, thanks for the assurance that the later ROM version hasn't remove the refilling capability.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Lin, no problem. If you felt frustrated in seeking for advices just imagine that people who are trying to help might have been very frustrated too.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Tin Ho said:
Lin, no problem. If you felt frustrated in seeking for advices just imagine that people who are trying to help might have been very frustrated too.
Hi I think you misinterpreted it. I don't feel frustrated at all. And my post was not written with any intention of complaint. Just feel loss that I wasn't able to get those chips that had been detected to be recognized by the printer and which eventually may mean that I will lose the refilling ability. Not every posts of mine are a problem or even a complaint. It maybe a feedback, comment, sharing or really a problem that I am puzzled and want to find out if anyone has any similar experience and their work around solutions.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
I want to thanks everyone who has read my thread and offer suggestion. And thanks to Tin Ho who reassure me that it's very unlikely that Canon would have remove that ability to release the chips detection.

Here is an update to this thread. After some toggling and various tries and doing so many things, I did manage to get the detected chips to be recognized by the printer. As I said before the chips are not spoilt. They get detected and led up fine except the printer wouldn't recognize the chips with the new firmware. The version had been up just by comparing old EEPROM data printout with new EEPROM data printout after replacement of board.

Like Tin Ho had said, I really do have a lot of problems that others do not have, so I didn't go about documenting what I did to get these chips to finally be recognized by the printer or what I didn't do when I first posted this thread. If you were to ask me what I did, I really cannot remember as it's has been over a week or 2.

I like the idea of what Tin Ho had said about Canon would not have remove that ability to release the chips detection. Because having these capability, should a printer is a multifunctional printer and the printhead nozzles become defective (not due to electronic faulty) or showing sign of wear and tear, and the user have no intention of getting a new printhead, the user will still be able to enjoy the use the scanning feature after releasing the ink level detection. So the user has option of either buying a new printhead or new photo printer.