This may mean the end of refilling for me.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
I may have come to the end of my refilling with my printer from today onwards. However I am not too sure if this is true. My printer (my one and only printer) was sent for repaired recently and the circuit board was completely replaced. The replaced board has different ROM version.

A bit of history:
I had 2 completed sets of OEM canon cartridges (CLI8 CMYK & PGI5BK) with all the chips having reset via resume/stop button or through the accept warranty void option. Except one problem CLI8BK chip from the later batch (purchased in early 2007) that perpetually couldn't be reset via resume/stop button or accept warranty void and a yellow chip cartridge which has yet trigger the low ink/empty. For who would like to know more history of this problematic CLI8BK chips, you may read my post #23 at this thread http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2445&p=3

Situation Now:
Before the replacement of the circuit board, I was able to reuse the 1st set of chips & the 2nd set chips except the problem CLI8BK chip after all these cartridges had undergone low ink/empty. My printer used to be capable of detecting the 1st set of chips cartridges fine (just merely losing the ink level monitor). Now with the replacement circuit board of later ROM version, my printer is no longer recognizing these chips (not even the first sets of chips) that used to work perfectly without ink level monitor. See below picture A. This will mean I can no longer use refill anymore.

Picture A

However I needed further test before drawing such conclusion. Such as getting these chips reset by someone who own a chip resetter and then experiment to use these chips after they have reach low ink/empty again. Unfortunately I can't be sure whether if this chip after having been reset by a chip resetter, will they be able to use on my machine with later circuit board ROM version after they have used and reach low ink/empty. Losing ink level monitor is okay for me but completely not recognizing this chips will not allow me to reuse them.

The only person I know of here that own the resetter is pharmacist and had already contact him for assistance. I had told him one/two weeks ago, that I wll not send the all the chips for him to reset with chip resetter after realizing that I will lost ink monitor again and will need constant reset with chip resetter. Though I was planning to send him the problematic CLI8BK chip for him to attempt to reset. Now the above problem had strucked. At this moment, I won't be able to be 100% certain whether if I am completely removed from refill with my machine unless I am able to reuse these chips that had been reset via resume/stop button or accept warranty void previously. The Euro rate which pharmacist asked for is reasonable for helping to reset. Unfortunately I am from oversea (not US or EU counterparts). So after converting Euros to my own currencies, it will mean $40++ to reset all the 10 chips and $20++ to reset 5 chips (in my own currencies). This is steep for me. And here where I am, I don't have access to compatible cartridges that comes with reset chips.

So I am battling what to do with this situation now. In the meanwhile, I guess I will lay low from this forum and all other form of experiment and testing.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Your printer may have got a defective board now. If you go to Canon support site, download a newest user's manual and read the troubleshooting part you will see that it still has the text that tells how to reuse empty ink cartridges. The cartridges are of course not empty because you have refilled them or you would not try to use them.

nanosec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I'll reset them for free.

Message me.

You pay shipping.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Tin Ho said:
Your printer may have got a defective board now. If you go to Canon support site, download a newest user's manual and read the troubleshooting part you will see that it still has the text that tells how to reuse empty ink cartridges. The cartridges are of course not empty because you have refilled them or you would not try to use them.
:lol: Tin Ho, I don't have a defective board now. Because my first paragraphy in my first post already pointed out that I had sent my printer for repaired. They had replaced a new circuit/logic board with a later ROM version. This is as good as meaning the printer logic board has upgraded firmware.

With this replacement logic/circuit board, now the printer no longer recognize my chips which previously has been reset/accept warranty void prior to them replacing my logic/circuit board.

So now I need to have to chips reset by a chip resetter and simulate when the ink run low/empty, will the printer thrown me accept warranty void option or allow me to reset via the resume/stop button like it used to.

This doesn't look good.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Lin, what I meant to say was your replacement logic board is probably defective. It does not recognize your refilled ink cartridges any more. It is not supposed to be like that. Getting a new board does not mean getting new firmware. Unless you can read the firmware's revision you really have no knowledge if the firmware is new or any different.

If I were you I will not reset my chips. Resetting the chip the code in the chip is rewritten with something. If this something is not identical to what Canon originally had in it you may run into other problems in the future. I would keep tham as they are even the dtat in the chip says the ink tank is empty. Idon't think the chip resetter rewrites the original code back to the chip. That's a violation of copy right.

Currently I am not aware of any Canon, Epson and HP printers that can not be refilled. It's a matter of difficulty but not can or can not be refilled. Canon printers are the ones that are relatively easy to refill. It's very unlikely all in a sudden Cannon reprograms their printer to make them not refillable. Believe it or not. Canon makes its printers easier to refill for marketing purposes.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Tin Ho said:
Lin, what I meant to say was your replacement logic board is probably defective. It does not recognize your refilled ink cartridges any more. It is not supposed to be like that. Getting a new board does not mean getting new firmware. Unless you can read the firmware's revision you really have no knowledge if the firmware is new or any different.

If I were you I will not reset my chips. Resetting the chip the code in the chip is rewritten with something. If this something is not identical to what Canon originally had in it you may run into other problems in the future. I would keep tham as they are even the dtat in the chip says the ink tank is empty. Idon't think the chip resetter rewrites the original code back to the chip. That's a violation of copy right.

Currently I am not aware of any Canon, Epson and HP printers that can not be refilled. It's a matter of difficulty but not can or can not be refilled. Canon printers are the ones that are relatively easy to refill. It's very unlikely all in a sudden Cannon reprograms their printer to make them not refillable. Believe it or not. Canon makes its printers easier to refill for marketing purposes.
Tin Ho, I already stated clearly that the replacement logic board in the first post has a later ROM version from what I originally had. If I hadn't check the EEPROM and compare with my previous EEPROM result prior to them replacing my logic board, I wouldn't possibility post and said that they had replace the circuit/logic board with a later ROM version.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Could you tell me how you could read the EEPROM and determine that it is a newer version of firmware? The EEPROM chip can come from different manufacturer with a different date code on it. That doesn't mean it is programmed differently. Honestly I could not find any information anywhere about my printer's firmware revision. Did you actually compare the EEPROMs visually?

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Tin Ho said:
Could you tell me how you could read the EEPROM and determined that it is a newer version of firmware? The EEPROM chip can come from different manufacturer with a different date code on it. That doesn't mean it is programmed differently. Honestly I could not find any information anywhere about my printer's firmware revision. Did you actually compare the teo EEPROMs visually?
Tin Ho, you have to do your homework on how to print out the EEPROM data. It will tell you the ROM version. However I believe you should have know how go and print out the EEPROM data already.

Visually opening up my printer and inspecting the chips on logic board (whether it will show you visually the ROM version), no I didn't. But based on the EEPROM information printed from my old logic board before replacement and EEPROM information printed from the new logic board, the ROM version is differently.

I said at my post #5 (see below quote again), that it's as good as meaning having an upgraded firmware (such that now I cannot reuse my previous chips that is capable of reset via resume/stop button or accept warranty void), however I am not saying that ROM version = firmware because that I don't know.

lin said:
This is as good as meaning the printer logic board has upgraded firmware.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I thought you said your cartridges are no longer recognized. How could you print the EEPROM data still? Even you could the EEPROM data printed is from the EEPROM in the print head. It records activities associated with the print head.

Lin, you are having a lot of problems other do not have. And you are not listening to suggestions. If you don't listen why bother to ask? I remember you complained that your ink was too thin. I suggested that you do a simple experiment which is to blow air into the vent to de-saturate the sponge. It would take less than a few minutes to see if it helped. Never heard from you about it. Have you found evidence to prove that your ink was indeed too thin?

I just did a refill of a PGI5 ink cartridge of a 3 months new ip4300. It should have the latest revision of firmware in it. The LED of the PGI5 is dimmed and refilling was completed without any problems.

It would be indeed the end of refilling for you if you are not willing to take suggestions but insist in believing that Canon has done it to keep you (only you) from refilling. Everyone else will continue to enjoy from refilling and you are the one who complains otherwise.