Theoretical new concept for Canon ink level monitoring

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi Guys, I'm new on this forum but I want to share my thoughts about bypassing the ink monitor system of the newer chipped Canon printer models.

An alternative method could be developed to monitor the ink level: why not make a special adapter which actually sits underneath just above the optical sensors (thin enough not to intervene with the printer's sensor, but thick enough to actually sense light breaking changes (i.d.: sensing the ink is running low).

This sensor can then be linked with a very thin and flexible cable (which eventually can be attached to the internal white printhead cable and then outside the printer coupled to a USB-connector. Or perhaps coupled with the USB-printer cable as an intermediate plug. Since the cable can be made very thin and small -unlike the thick valves from a CISS-system- problems with printercaps not able to close should be minimized.

Software can be written that actually intersects the information from the sensor to give you warning that one or more inktanks are running low or even trick the ink monitor for Canon itself: this should be possible by reverse engineering the pulses/information sent to the computer by the printer, or if not: simply making a pop-up utility independently from Canon's own ink level monitoring utility.

If the sensor can not be made too thin, without hindering refilled cartridges, then eventually special (refillable) cartridges can be made with an indented bottom which can fit perfectly over this sensor. Since the ink level monitor is already disabled to enable further printing with refilled cartridges I don't think it actually matters if the sensor should be transparant or not to let the printer see any optical changes from the prisms above, but this can be implemented to be sure of. This should be easily made, since only a change in refraction in the prism above the sensor should be detected.

Eventually wireless versions can be made with a battery inside the sensor which sends it's signal to a USB-adapter which must be plugged in between the printer and the outcoming USB-printercable (this should be longlasting since only a signal should be sent before a printing command and then maybe every 5 minutes during printing). RFID technology may be applied to enable this feature, making it even a more elegant solution.

Has nobody thought about this solution? Since this does not infringe Canon's patents concerning their chips, you are able to choose any refill ink you wish to use, for those wishing to have an effective ink monitor level not chained to Canon's expensive cartridges or changing chains to the Armor/GEHA proprietary Tuning Kit (which give you an alternative for ink monitoring, but is only slightly cheaper than the original ones from Canon itself, since the chips on the Armor/GEHA cartridges are themselves encrypted as well !!!).

This in fact is a total new concept to give you an alternative for an efficient ink monitor system, that -when the software is written carefully- even can prevent printing when the sensor detects an "out of ink" level in one or more of the cartridges sitting above it, making it even more effective than Canon's chip method, since a lot of people are complaining about half full cartridges even when the chip says "empty"!!!

Of course you still need the original chips for this system to work, but that is same case for the Armor/GEHA tuning system: they actually are collecting empty Canon cartridges for the chips to be built into their tuning adapters. If you buy their Tuning Kit, you will get a 1:1 exchange for one old empty cartridge (with chip) for one new full GEHA/Armor corresponding cartridge with their own proprietary chip attached on it.

Of course: there are already very expensive resetting machines available on the market which seem to do the trick, but how much would be the price of this theoretical sensor if available?

What are you guys thinking about this concept, is it workable and realistic ?

WhiteDog

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
This idea just will not fly. You are not entirely correct about the patent aspects. This issue was looked at in another thread over the winter. Some day soon we shall all move on from Canon and its goofy chips. One reason for that is that Canon itself will have to give them up. There is no money in printers. The money is in the ink. Canon blew it and I would not be surprised to see them leave the prosumer market within 12 months. There is some profit in printers over the $1,000 price point but Canon's prograf line is having trouble there too. The trend in the digital industry is for low-end suppliers to bow out, as Kodak did with low-end cameras this week.

Doug

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
WhiteDog if your logic is correct then would not Lexmark be the first to go in that they seem to be at the bottom of all the big players at least as far as quality goes?

WhiteDog

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You missed my point. Your post asked for opinions and I gave you mine. Did you read the thread to which I referred? Some good members asked their friends in the professions for input and it was very educational for all of us. The economy is quite democratic. You are just as free to lose money and to waste your time as anybody else. First rule of innovation is not to try to charge people for what they can do for free: i.e.: pop the lid; look at ink level. Would you pay somebody $200 for a device to read the washer fluid level in your car? Maybe some cars have one of those, but you should get the point.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hi Pharmacist,
A most interesting posting and my comments are these.

I think the Canon coding to their chipped cartridges is not uncrackable it is just that cracking the code would be a time consuming exercise. Canon realised that, and if they can keep it under wraps for a reasonable time until someone does a reverse engineering job, then they have control of the situation. When/if the code is cracked then they can always come up with an extension of the algorithm or a new chip on a new cartridge for the next model.

When you refill a cartridge the ink sensor is disabled. Most people are only interested in getting that facility back. The solution is even easier than you suggest.

The service manual of the 4200 shows the optocoupler that reads the prism status is still fitted as it was in the 4000 series. 3 leads of a 5 pin plug connect it to the operation panel assy. I dont know about the 4300 as I dont own one and I dont have a service manual for it, but the feature is probably still there.

It would be fairly simple to utilize this existing optocoupler to activate a 556 timer/oscillator to give a warning when any ink tank ran low. It doesnt even need software. I can give more details if required.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi Pebe, well very interesting to hear that the optocoupler is still there. Is it true for the whole line of newer chipped Canon printers ? And how do you tell the printer driver it is using the information from the prism and not obeying those d*mned chips: maybe using the printer driver from an earlier on non-chipped printer ? Let's say: using IP4000 driver for the IP4200/4300 or the 9900/9950 driver for the chipped Pro9000 ? Does it mean you have to make shortcuts on the circuit of the printhead yourself ?

Could you send me the details about the connections of the optocoupler to my contact-box (eventually your e-mail how to contact you) ?

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The coupler is certainly there on the 4200. I have a copy of the service manual which Mikling kindly sent me and it's shown there. I don't know about the 4300 or others.

I doubt if a different driver from another printer would work.

I think the best way of making connections would be with an adapter for the 5way plug/socket.

I'll send you an email to establish contact then I can give you a drawing of my suggestions.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Pharmacist.
Sorry, I'm on Tiscali and they have problems with emails at the moment. So I cannot send - only receive. Contact you when everything is OK again.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
What pebe is suggesting does not require any modification or connection to the print head. It only requires tapping into the stationary optical device mounted in the front left inside of the printer. You can see a little device with two small "tabs" on it. One is an LED which shines a light upwards and the other is a photo detector which gets illuminated whenever an empty cartridge travels over it.

Normally, the printer only monitors the ink level at certain times, but with luck, the circuitry will be energized all the time so that all you would have to do is tap into the signal from the light detector. Hopefully it would never register anything except when an empty cartridge passes over it. All you would need is a pulse detector that would sound an alarm whenever this happens. The printer driver measures precisely when this happens so it can report which cartridge was empty, but it would be enough for a person who is re-inking to just know that one of the cartridges was empty so that an examination would determine which one was empty.

Even if the circuitry is powered down when it is not being used, you could maybe bypass it to your own power supply and pulse detector or at the very worse, you could replicate the functionality with your own LED and detector and make something completely independent of the printer.

I think this is a brilliant concept--way to go guys. But I don't think you'll get rich off it. It's more for tinkerers who can easily build their own rather than buy an expensive retrofit.