The Twilight Zone unfortunately its real..

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Grandexp said:
If Hat weighted his cartridges I can tell you by taking out the cartridges to weigh his printer will do a cleaning cycle after the cartridges are reinstalled.
I don't know about his printer, but I can take my HP cartridges out one at a time and weigh them, with no cleaning cycle or ink loss. I suspect that he probably knew what he was doing and found the same.

Grandexp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ThrillaMozilla said:
I don't know about his printer, but I can take my HP cartridges out one at a time and weigh them, with no cleaning cycle or ink loss. I suspect that he probably knew what he was doing and found the same.
I don't use HP printers so I don't know if they will run cleaning cycles if you remove a cartridge and reinstall it back. If doing so allows air to get into the print head a cleaning cycle will be needed to get the air out before printing. For Canon printers removing ink cartridges will cause air to enter in the middle the ink passages between the cartridges and the print head. A cleaning cycle is thus built in in the the printer firmware to always do a cleaning cycle if the printer detects removal of cartridges by sensing the presence of the chips.

Grandexp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If you have a Canon printer with chipped cartridges you can observe the behavior of cleaning cycles. Just refill your cartridges without resetting. You will see ink level monitor disabled.

Print something a few times. You can see if starting up a print job will cause the printer to run a cleaning cycle. Removing the cartridges and reinstall them then print a jon. You can witness it doing a cleaning cycle.

You can then compare with the situation that the ink level monitoring isn't disabled.

M

MiniMe

I had an MP510 and it didn't burn any more ink after I disabled ink monitoring...It has a new home now with my buddy and he seldom calls me for a refill....on all the time of course!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Grandexp said:
ThrillaMozilla said:
I don't use HP printers so I don't know if they will run cleaning cycles if you remove a cartridge and reinstall it back.
I think what ThrillaMozilla was getting at is that there are workarounds to being able to remove a cartridge without the printer sensing this... like say, powering off the printer and removing the power cord first, removing the cartridges, weighing, reinstalling and then replacing power cords, etc...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
This Pro 1 printer is totally new with even newer technology built in and therefore its not like anything that went before, the ink system is CISS and there are no cartridges in its print head.

The ink tanks on this printer can be removed at any time except during a print run and their removal does not cause the printer to react at all except to display the current ink levels on screen, the exact opposite happens in fact when you fail to replace a empty tank, then it does an extremely high level cleaning cycle on that one tank only.

I hope the above will help to explain some of the new workings of the Pro 1 and its huge differences to what everyone is used too with their Canon printers.. :)

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
websnail said:
I think what ThrillaMozilla was getting at is that there are workarounds to being able to remove a cartridge without the printer sensing this... like say, powering off the printer and removing the power cord first, removing the cartridges, weighing, reinstalling and then replacing power cords, etc...
I'm sure it depends on the printer, but I don't have to turn off the power. And I haven't had problems with bubbles, as Grandexp suggests that I would. Capillary action by the very small nozzles keeps the ink from running out.

Sorry, The Hat, this is an aside from your thread.

Grandexp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ThrillaMozilla said:
but I don't have to turn off the power. And I haven't had problems with bubbles, as Grandexp suggests that I would. Capillary action by the very small nozzles keeps the ink from running out.
I just refilled an IP4000 this morning. It uses unchipped BCI cartridges. I refilled the BCI-3ebk. After I resinstalled the cartridges I waited for a couple of minutes then ran a nozzle check. It printed all colors fine still but the black grid on the top was completely blank including the vertical bars and the work 3ebk. I waited for another 5 minutes and did it again. Samething. I then did a cleaning cycle and a nozzle check. It then printed the grid perfectly.

I believe Canon added the automatic cleaning cycle for printers with chipped cartridges. It probably learned from the older unchipped printers that a removal and reinstallation of a cartridge needs a cleaning cycle. If a printer is unused for many days (I don't know how many) as long as the power cord is not unplugged it will do an automatic cleaning cycle when it is powered up before printing the next print job. If the power cord is unplugged it will not be able to track how long the printer has been unused. It will probably do a cleaning cycle automatically too.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Grandexp said:
I just refilled an IP4000 this morning. It uses unchipped BCI cartridges. I refilled the BCI-3ebk. After I resinstalled the cartridges I waited for a couple of minutes then ran a nozzle check. It printed all colors fine still but the black grid on the top was completely blank including the vertical bars and the work 3ebk. I waited for another 5 minutes and did it again. Samething. I then did a cleaning cycle and a nozzle check. It then printed the grid perfectly.

I believe Canon added the automatic cleaning cycle for printers with chipped cartridges. It probably learned from the older unchipped printers that a removal and reinstallation of a cartridge needs a cleaning cycle.
I'll bet that BCI-3eBk still had ink in the reservoir when you refilled it, correct? With these unchipped cartridges, the printer has no way of knowing that you removed and replaced a cartridge unless the reservoir is empty. In other words, if you refill it before the printer is indicating a low ink yellow warning, then you should manually do a cleaning cycle as you finally did to get it working.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Wandering off into the Twilight Zone, I just had a look at the User list sorted by number of posts and I see "ghwellsjr" is top of the list with 3381, followed by "The Hat" with 2267, but with a start date 4 years later.

Depending how you sort them, I see Rodbam also on the first page and that I, surprisingly, was on the second page, when I only started in April this year. There are an enormous number of members with very few posts to their names.

I was also surprised to see the number of "banned" members, presumably because of spamming.

Regards Ian (and this is my 100th post):ya