The role of one way valve and air in the line

tkonto

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
WF7710DWS
Hi All,
Constantly getting air gaps in the yellow color line makes me wonder what is the role of one way valves.
I would expect that pushing the valve, would push ink towards the cartridge and not return ink back.
Basically I would expect constant pumping to fill the line.

Any hints?
Best regards,
Theo

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Are you doing refill - are you using a CISS since you are posting your question in the section for continuous ink systems ?

Is it a new problem ? Which one way valve are you talking about ?

tkonto

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
WF7710DWS
Are you doing refill - are you using a CISS since you are posting your question in the section for continuous ink systems ?

Is it a new problem ? Which one way valve are you talking about ?
Thank you for your answer.

Posting in CISS subconsciously took for granted that everyone knows my CISS.

So...
I have external tanks for Epson WF7710 and connected to the CISS cartridges through one way valves.

One thing I notice is:

If the cartridge plug is removed (so no air tight system) and start pushing the valve, ink will be pushed towards the cartridge on push and return to the valve on release.

I would expect push to send ink to the cartridge and release, to pull ink from the tank

Thank you
Theo

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Why are you using valves in your CISS ? And why would you need to transport ink by pushing the valve ? Did you buy the CISS like that - with such valves ?
Why don't you just use refill cartridges with this printer - I remember previous postings that this printer model does not work well with a CISS .

tkonto

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
WF7710DWS
Refill cartridges would be too much hustle for the specific environment.
The reason for the one way valves is that my first CISS installation few years ago, had ones installed.
In the particular case, I do not see why one way valves would not work as one way!
Would removing them create leakage at the print head due to excess ink pushed down the lines?
Is there a rule on where to place the tanks in comparison to the head level, if the ink lines are strait?

Cheers,
Theo

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I never have seen a CISS with one way valves - where are they located ? But beyond that I'm not a fan of installing a CISS on your particular printer

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Refill cartridges would be too much hustle for the specific environment.
I have used a number of CISS units on my printers over the years, and I have never heard of one way valves been used with them.

The Reservoir ink bottles should be placed on the same surface as the printer body is sitting on and it will work just perfectly fine like that, and anybody that reckons that CISS work easily on any Canon printer needs their head read..

The Canon cartridge design just gives nothing but trouble, even the OEM CISS units are troublesome too, and if Canon can’t get them to work, then what hope is there for the rest of us..

P.S. they need constant and daily maintenance.. Refilled Carts are much more reliable..

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
The Reservoir ink bottles should be placed on the same surface as the printer body is sitting on and it will work just perfectly fine like that,
This is o.k. with most printers technically but there are some with a rather big input bin, or even two underneath the case which raises the height of the platen and the level of the nozzle plate of the printhead. the Ink is taken from the ink reservoirs of most CISS models from underneath, from the bottom of the containers, and this should be leveled below the level of the nozzle plate by a few centimeters. But his is just one of several issues with a CISS, a stable guide for the ink tubes, issues with the ink flow and the cartridge replacement units in the printhead and more as addressed by @The Hat . I had several CISS running, some did fine for a long time, other units just were causing problems, I'm not supporting a CISS on the WF7710, I tried on a WF7110 with lots of problems.

tkonto

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
WF7710DWS
Could you explain a bit more about the optimal relative height?

The bottom of the tank (not the case of the tank, the tank itself) and the bottom of the cartridge (or the bottom of the head) should be at what relative height?

On the desk, at printer level, at head level, at cartridge level, at top of cartridge level are some of the possible options i have read about.

Currently, my CISS is at mid-cartridge level, and removing the valves, has the ink flowing back to the tanks, leaving empty vacuum lines.

Cheers,
Theo

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
my CISS is at mid-cartridge level, and removing the valves, has the ink flowing back to the tanks, leaving empty vacuum lines.
that's a sign for a problem - where is all that air coming from - something is not airtight between the tank outlet and the cartridges - that much air will not pass through the nozzles