the new canon MP620 ink PGI-220 CLI-221

flicker

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Has this been answered by anyone else? If so, I didn't see anymore on this model and apologize for the duplication. My experience was sad as I had not only looked forward to the new printer but recommended this specific model to a friend as well as I'm an old fan of Canons for having the individual refillable ink tanks. I've probably sold more Canons via word of mouth than I even realize! Imagine my chagrin when I refilled, popped it back in and it said "Tough luck, Dummy! We now have a chip and you're SO out of luck!" Surely someone has come up with a solution to this as apparently the other models with a chip seem to have been figured out. Thoughts?

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
These chips have not been cracked yet, and we aren't sure if they can be. Most, if not everyone, in the remanufacturing industry, are recommending you buy the older Canon models that take the PG5/CLI8 cartridges, which have a resetter available, or buy a Brother, which do not chip their cartridges.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Actually the PGI-520 and the CLI-521 chips are already cracked.

See here: http://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel.php?ID=2453&t=paperworld_2009_highlights

Keep in mind these versions are the EU regionalized versions of the PGI-220 and the CLI-221 (US-versions). So it could be that encryption might be different. Could someone here confirm whether or not you can use EU-cartridges in a US-printer and vice-versa ?

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
You don't actually turn it off you just disable the ink monitoring. If you put in a wrong cartridge or one without a chip it still refuses to print.

JoePineapples

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
qwertydude said:
You don't actually turn it off you just disable the ink monitoring. If you put in a wrong cartridge or one without a chip it still refuses to print.
Does it not void the printers warranty as well ?

Joe

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
It depends on what technican you find . . but Disabling ink monitor is stored permanently in the eeprom (even if you reset the eeprom)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If you hold in the resume button on your printer for 5 seconds that only disables the ink monitor for that single cartridge, it doesnt affect the eeprom. When you put in a new cartridge the ink monitor returns to normal and so does the eeprom, tried it loads of time on different canon printers and it doesnt affect your warranty.

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
The Hat said:
If you hold in the resume button on your printer for 5 seconds that only disables the ink monitor for that single cartridge, it doesnt affect the eeprom. When you put in a new cartridge the ink monitor returns to normal and so does the eeprom, tried it loads of time on different canon printers and it doesnt affect your warranty.
you are not correct, It does effect the eeprom

In the Case of the Canon MP980 The line below means that Ink monitor has never been disabled

INK_OFF (PBK=0 BK=0 Y=0 C=0 M=0 GY=0)

IF for EG. PBK=5 then this means that pigment black ink monitor has been disabled 5 times Etc. etc

If you reset the eeprom the above values are not resetted to 0 (service manual 41/49)

The following items are NOT initialized, and the shipment arrival flag is
not on:
- USB serial number
- Destination settings
- Record of ink absorber counter resetting and setting
- Record of repair at the production site
- LF / Eject correction values
- Left margin correction value
- Production site E-MIP correction value and enabling of it
- Endurance correction value and enabling of it
- Record of disabling the function to detect the remaining ink amount
- Ink absorber counter value (ink amount in the ink absorber)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I will have to eat humble pie on that one Inkjet Master, Ops Sorry.