The Dreaded Pizza Rollers...

Bela

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS5051
hi all,
Sorry, I know this had been brought up in the past but I need some help how to fix the dreaded “pizza roller” issue.
I’ve been trying to fix this for weeks, the printer (TS5051) isn’t even 6 months old and Canon have told me to send it back even though I know it’s a common fault that can be rectified.
I’m very close to buying another printer as I need this for my work which involves illustrations but it’s an additional cost I really hoped to avoid.

Previously, “cheap” ink was used in this machine so I believe this has caused the issue and gone back to genuine. I’ve tried many MANY deep cleans, Cleaning solutions, Cleanups etc and while the impressions aren’t as visible, me and my extreme attention to minut issues always sees them.
Originally it was mainly on the left of the print, now the columns are across the whole page.

printing on Matt card is absolutely fine but if I use glossy self adhesive or photo paper, it’s noticeable.

Is there any other Ideas I can try to hopefully clear this issue.

thanks

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Cleaning won't really help, it is an issue with the coating on the paper, you only can try different brands . Get some OEM Canon glossy photo paper to compare with - do you still have the sample pack of a few 4x6" sheets ?

Bela

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS5051
Cleaning won't really help, it is an issue with the coating on the paper, you only can try different brands . Get some OEM Canon glossy photo paper to compare with - do you still have the sample pack of a few 4x6" sheets ?
I had used this recently to check the quality, it is even slightly less noticeable however, I’m in a bit of a pickle as some of my work required glossy adhesive paper and I’ve been several different brands to test these for this issue but all seem to be the same.
I’ve never had this issue before and I had never seen it in the beginning when I bought the printer.

you wouldn’t happen to know what sort of finish or paper quality I should be looking for that could minimise the issue - I’ve lost so much materials thinking this was a fixable issue😩

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
such pizza wheels are in about every desktop/photo printer - Epson, Brother, the visibility of the traces of these wheels is very much reduced after the paper is dried out - e.g. overnight

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Did Google play a part in how people figure out that cleaning a printhead would resolve mechanical indentations on a printed sheet? I guess that's what happens when things become so high tech nobody understands fundamentally how anything works anymore. I mean we have virtual meetings, virtual cohabitation, virtual this and virtual everything and nothing is real anymore. Google is the epitome of virtual thinking perhaps?

Bela

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS5051
Thanks everyone for the help,
Sadly google was the go-to in the past - I can tell you anything about design softwares and 80s movies but technology goes over my head. 🤦‍♀️

Ive purchased thicker 200gsm Glossy paperstock and while the tracks are still there, aren’t as prominent As on the 120gsm Glossy.

thanks for all the advice x

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
google was the go-to in the past
Google is still a go-to for information, including helping to answer questions from forum members. Filtering the good from the bad is the issue.

I found this forum in a Google search for answers to a question I had. Probably so have many others, although I think our fearless moderator @The Hat was spontaneously created when the forum first went live. Too smart about printers. Definitely a Google bot. ;)