The BEST Canon printers, the POOREST Canon printers for refilling.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
This is just a list of all the Canon printers I could find that can or cant be refilled.

Pixma MP 230...... Tri cart........510/511.....No Resetter ......Use Compatible pre-filled
Pixma MG 8120.... Opaque ...... 225/226..... Resetter Yes..... Use 520/521 carts ?
Pixma MG 5250.... Opaque....... 225/226..... Resetter Yes...... Use 520/521 carts ?
Pixma MG 5220.... Opaque...... 225/226..... Resetter Yes.......Use 520/521 carts ?
Pixma MG 5440.....Opaque...... 550/551...... Can't be Re-Reset...... New Design Carts *
Pixma MG 5450.....Opaque...... 550/551...... Can't be Re-Reset...... New Design Carts *
Pixma MG 6350.....Opaque...... 550/551...... Can't be Re-Reset...... New Design Carts *
Pixma iP 7250...... Opaque...... 550/551...... Can't be Re-Reset...... New Design Carts *

* The 550/551 carts are useless for refilling, therefore the use of refillable 3rd party carts with ARC chips from a good supplier are recommended..

The printers with the 550/551 carts can be refilled but with some difficulties,
Compatible cartridges with ARC are the best option.

The 550/551 OEM cartridge come in two different sizes, the setup or standard cartridge and there is an XL version.

Both the standard and XL OEM cartridges are fitted with a one time paper chip that cannot be removed nor can it be reset and there won’t be a resetter made for it either.

A lot more information please..

Then we have the older printers next.

Pixma iP 4950.....Opaque..525/526.....Resetter Yes.... Use 520/521 carts..(Optional)
Pixma iP 3600.....Clear.....520/521.....Resetter Yes ....Use 520/521 carts
Pixma iP 2700.....Tri Cart...... ? ....... No Resetter ..... Use Compatibles or re-fill OEM
Pixma iP 6650.....Opaque ..525/526 ... Resetter Yes ... Use 520/521 carts (Optional)
Pixma iX 7000.... Opaque .. PGl- 9 .....Resetter Yes .....Use PGI 9 Carts Easy Refilled.
Pixma iX 5000.... Clear ..... CLI-8 ...... Resetter Yes ... Use CLI-8 Carts Easy Refilled.
Pixma iX 4000.... Clear ..... CLI-8 ....... Resetter Yes ...Use CLI-8 Carts Easy Refilled.
Pixma iP 6700.... Clear ..... CLI-8 .......Resetter Yes ...Use CLI-8 Carts Easy Refilled.

Next we have the Current A3+ photo printers.

Pixma Pro 9000..Clear .... ... ..CLI-8.... Resetter Yes...Use CLI-8 Carts Easy Refill.
Pixma Pro 9500 . Semi-Opaque . PGI-9 .. Resetter Yes ...Use PGI 9 Carts Easy Refill.
Pixma Pro 1 .....Opaque .........PGI-29 Resetter No. ..Easy Refill/Or Compatible & 1 time chip
Pixma Pro 10 .. Semi- Opaque ...PGI-72 Resetter YES ..Use PGI 72 Carts Easy Refill.
Pixma Pro 100 .Clear ..............CLI-42 Resetter YES ..Use CLI-42 Carts Easy Refill. (But not yellow cart)

This is only suppose to be a general guide for the newbie refillers and others that
may want to change their printers in the future, there may be some slight errors here
so please check before you commit to a purchase.

There are some printer I may have left out but they can be added later
if someone PM me with the details, or any other crucial information.

All the Cartridge codes are European so its just a matter of changing the first number
to your own region..

There has been some humming and hawing about the accuracy of the list of printers
above of late because it didn't include some of the MP/MG/MX Model printers. it does Now

However as I have not receive any newer entries by way of PM as requested
the list will still stands as is. (Unchanged)

Now I know there are many printer models that weren't included (Hundreds) however
all the brand new models are well cater for by referring to their individual cartridge use,
so no matter which printer you have there is a reference to it in cartridge type.

EDIT:- Updated...

Here are more printer to add to the above list for the European market using the 525 /526 opaque cartridges, compliments of @palombian..

Canon Pixma IP4850******************** Canon Pixma MX715
Canon Pixma IP4950 ******************* Canon Pixma MX885
--- ******************** ******************** Canon Pixma MX892
Canon Pixma IX6550 (the only A3)*****Canon Pixma MX895
Canon Pixma MG5150 *******************Canon Pixma MP990 (MP996 ?)
Canon Pixma MG5250
Canon Pixma MG5350
Canon Pixma MG6150
Canon Pixma MG6250
Canon Pixma MG8150
Canon Pixma MG8250

E&OE.

earthworm

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Another reason for me to buy the more expensive 9000 printer.
Maybe I will go "refill", rather than being so wasteful...
The CLI-8 cartridges seem to be good for refill.
Thanks for all this work/info.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
earthworm said:
Another reason for me to buy the more expensive 9000 printer.
Maybe I will go "refill", rather than being so wasteful...
The CLI-8 cartridges seem to be good for refill.
Thanks for all this work/info.
Where are you located? In the San Francisco Bay area there are a good number of the 9000mkII printers, new and in the sealed factory box, on Craigs list every day. They were included in a package deal with Canon DSLR carmeras and the purchasers who don't want to keep the printer are interested in selling them. I bought one last month for $100, and I just saw two for sale for $80 each. Asking prices range from $350 down.

Cli-8 cartridges are very easy to refill and there is a chip resetter available to reset the cartridge to be recognized by the printer as full.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Pixma MP 230 Tri cart. 510/511 No Resetter Use Compatible pre-filled
We have the Pixma MP280 which uses the 510/511 carts & I've just refilled them. I started off buying the Inktec refill kits so I have all the tools needed to refill these, now & I can just use my pro9000 inks in them in future.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ6jAIz957Q

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Also the Canon Pixma MP620 use the 520/521 re setter available. being wireless is very useful. Mine has been very good until now will post problem seperately.

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
This is just a list of all the Canon printers I could find that can or cant be refilled.

E&OE.
I am currently refilling a canon pixma mg5250 using cli526/525 ink from octoinkjet. I'm finding the colour match pretty good and you can refill the canon carts by watching the ink level rise through the filling hole. For canon to remove the original plastic ball blocking the filling hole drill a small hole in it, screw in a small self tapper then just pull the ball out. no drilling of holes needed. But what I prefer to do is use jet tec prefilled carts for the mg5250 and when they are empty drill a hole to refill them. The jet tec carts for the mg5250 are semi transparent and you can see the ink level as you refill, they also hold 30% more ink than canon The carts for jet tec and canon are resettable using a chip resetter, So far refilling/restting seems to be working fine. As I'm a new member can't post url's so have typed sellers below this post.

carts at valueshop co uk

chip resetter from ebay seller called falkonstore (hong kong, worked o.k. for me, about 10 days shipping to u.k)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just a cautionary note for you, the jet Tec prefilled cartridges are great to use
instead of expensive OEM cartridges and work pretty well too, BUT

They are designed to work just the once and when empty to be dumped in the bin and then purchase new ones,
so if you intend to refill these cartridges be aware that they can and will cause you big problems sooner rather than later.

The best alternative is to switch to using 521/520 OEM cartridges, which can be purchased Empty.. :)

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
Just a cautionary note for you, the jet Tec prefilled cartridges are great to use
instead of expensive OEM cartridges and work pretty well too, BUT

They are designed to work just the once and when empty to be dumped in the bin and then purchase new ones,
so if you intend to refill these cartridges be aware that they can and will cause you big problems sooner rather than later.

The best alternative is to switch to using 521/520 OEM cartridges, which can be purchased Empty.. :)
hi, thanks for your reply. can you elaborate what exactly is the problem re-using jet tec carts?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
pixmania can you elaborate what exactly is the problem re-using jet tec carts?
I could write detail upon detail on the things that can and do go wrong with a printer that has used refilled compatible cartridges,
but if you do a search or just read the many past fascinating posts youll get the gist of things much quicker that way.

This forum is full of guys who after ruining their printer came here seeking help and advice too late I may add in some cases,
only to discover that they were trying to flog a dead horse with a big stick.

If you care for your new printer, then dont attempt to refill these compatible cartridges
but instead switch to using and refilling genuine OEM cartridges.

So its like this, you can happily refill the Jec Tec cartridges and carry on regardless till strange things start to happen,
but remember the choice as to which cartridge to refill will be down to you of course.

Or you can take the good advice given by many on this forum and go for the prudent and safest way of refilling by only using OEM cartridges,
OEMs are the best to use (No Question) because then can with a little tender care be refilled again and again and can even outlast the life of your printer.

The whole idea of a good refilling setup is to be able to print as much as you like when you like
while saving a bundle into the bargain so Happy Refilling to you for Christmas and the new year..:)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Canon printers use thermal printheads. Thermal printheads contain heaters that create steam bubbles which eject the ink through the nozzles. These heaters need a reliable supply of ink for cooling, else they risk burning out.

Third party cartridges may work well if used only once, but often give problems with inkflow if refilled. Properly refilled Canon OEM cartridges are much more reliable.

The cost of replacing a printhead with burnt out heaters may be close to the cost of a new printer.