That dreaded Head failure again… WHY !

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Why are Canon print heads suffering from what looks like a clog but is in fact now known clearly to be electrical failure? (Over heating)

I think this problem has not been highlighted enough and is not going to go away any time soon so users should be aware that it might happen to them.

This only seems to affect the larger print heads 8+ or more colours and could possibly affect both dye and pigment machines; so far there was not much we can do about it because we were too quick to blame the inks.

One suggestion was made in another thread way back, which (I can’t find) I think it was @turbguy, to try and reduce the strain on a print head by running your printer in (Quiet Mode), now some may phoo phoo that as nonsense but could that be the answer we’re looking for ! !

Edit:- Thanks @PeterBJ ..

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think that @turbguy first published this idea. If ejection of one drop of ink demands a certain amount of energy, then less energy is converted to heat per second if the printing is slowed down. Energy converted to heat per second equals power, and temperature rise is proportional to the power, so slowing down the printing using the quiet or night mode results in a print head that runs cooler.

I don't know much this lowers the print head temperature and how much this prolongs the print head life, but EEPROM info from service mode can tell the print head temperature after the same big print job, done in both normal and quiet modes.

Last edited:

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
What about the thought of turning off the printer when not in use.
Supposedly to prevent overheating the head when left on?
I've experienced the same exact thing twice on my PRO9000MKII
So is my Printer body bad and causing this? I haven't had the urge to toss it out yet.

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
I run my printer in optimal mode OEM ink, but after period of time (i.e 100 sheets ) slow down in draft mode. I think manufacturer must add cooling fan to print head but look like difficult because of continuously moving of print head.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Ever notice how little problems the 9500 has? There is a reason why. I have now made the videos and next is editing the takes. I'm an amateur at this could take a while. It will bust open the reasons for many failures.

Canon does not take data gathered from refillers seriously because 90%+ don't do it right. As a result failures are attributed to their errors and bad refilling. On these boards we also have printers that have miles that OEM cart users hardly match so the data is also skewed because it is like we have a high mileage car club and wonder why our engines have more problems. But there really appears that on the Pro9000, there could be a problem or not......you'll have to think about it after my video.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@PeterBJ are going to tell me that @turbguy is going to have my guts for gathers for not giving him the credit for this very useful idea, Ops..:(
Maybe I’ll have to go back and edit, might be safer. :hide
I’m lousy at searches.. :old

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Does the 9000 II printer vary its ink droplet size according to need? If so there is a possibility that the controlling circuitry may also malfunction/be incorrectly set.

I commented some time ago, that I found the aluminium heatsink plate on my failed 9000II printhead had separated from the ceramic of the head due to failure of the adhesive.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
What about the thought of turning off the printer when not in use.
Supposedly to prevent overheating the head when left on?
I've experienced the same exact thing twice on my PRO9000MKII
So is my Printer body bad and causing this? I haven't had the urge to toss it out yet.
Joe I left my Pro 1 on for six months 24/7 and all it did was waste even more ink on me, the moral of the story is don’t do it if you don’t have ink monitoring enabled.

Re: your 9000 printer, you could always donate it to someone on Dpreview ! :p

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
They can come and get it form free. I still have a new one boxed up nut no justifiable need to set it up.

I can power off my PRO95000MKLII because I have those stupid auto reset chips on it. They reset to full whenever you power off and on the printer.
I never got the Resetter for the PGI-9 carts.

Joe

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Does the 9000 II printer vary its ink droplet size according to need? If so there is a possibility that the controlling circuitry may also malfunction/be incorrectly set.

I commented some time ago, that I found the aluminium heatsink plate on my failed 9000II printhead had separated from the ceramic of the head due to failure of the adhesive.

Canon print heads have a fixed drop size, but have more nozzle sets with different drop sizes for some colours. (Some or all?) Epson print heads can vary the drop size from the same nozzle. I think this is called drop modulation technology or something like that.

I have a Canon i990 with the 7 cartridge QY5-0053 print head that is similar the 8 cartridge QY6-0055 or QY6-0076 used in the Pixma Pro 9000 mk2. The heat sink has also come loose on my print head.

The printer is one I bought cheaply at a thrift store, but sadly the regular cyan is missing half of the nozzles in the lower lower half of the regular cyan nozzle test stripe. I don't know if the loose heatsink has caused this failure.