Test results for FORMULABS INK

RC

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To Rob & Neil:

I just tested the FOMULABS BCI-6 ink on my i960.

The results are out of this world. It prints better than CANON ink and MIS.

My monitor is calibrated and the colors matched perfect.

I used a PHOTOSHOP image with the profile set to RGB1998.

I set the printer to PHOTO PAPER PRO, color adjustment to MANUAL / NONE and the effect to IMAGE OPTIMIZER and PHOTO NOISE REDUCTION, using COSTCO/Kirkland paper.

To some these results may not be satisfactory, simply because some portraits may actually look better with an unnatural tint of red or magenta, but if you have a calibrated monitor and you want to reproduce the colors exactly, this is the ink. Also one can always adjust the tint to slightly red or blue if they wish.

The ink does not give the same results with the i860 or the ip5000, that is because what makes the color perfect is the combination of DARK and LIGHT MAGENTA and CYAN.

They also carry a BCI-8 for the 8 color printers, this color does not give good results on any of the printers I tested, it however may be perfect for the Canon 8 color printers, I cannot say.

As for the i860and the ip5000 they carry the BCI-3 and BCI-5 lines of ink, and they may work good for them, I have not tested them, and I think I will order a sample and run the test when I have the time.

I also did not experience any clogging of the printheads.

FORMULABS is now known as SENSIENT.

The proper names for these inks are:

BLACK (CPI-7900)
CYAN (IJC-4460)
MAGENTA (IJC-4424)
YELLOW (IJC-4440)
PHOTO-CYAN (IJC-4465)
PHOTO-MAGENTA (IJC-4428)

I was very surprised when they told me that they do not get many orders for this ink, being the best I have ever tried.

Robert

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
From which vendor did you buy them and was it bulk for refilling or in prefilled carts?

RC

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It's bulk ink, not carts.

I got it directly from the company.

SENSIENT
529 West Fourth Ave
Escondido, CA 92025

Phone: 760-741-2345

If you request, they may send you a sample.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I see that you can purchase anything from gallons to pallettes to drums full of ink from them. This modest user needs a few ounces of each color at a time! Small quantity bulk containers are available at Alotofthings. Same stuff that is in their Arrow carts from what they tell me.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I think I may request a sample of their pigment black for the BCI-3ebk to see if my bleeding issues are a result of a bad mix of ink, or an issue with packaging from my supplier. I've had no problems with their CMYK colors, but the BCI-3ebk arrow carts, that I was told had formulabs ink, bled like crazy for both me and my brother.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I was told that companies send the ink to China where they manufacture the carts and then *supposedly* use the ink that was sent to them. Of course, once the stuff is shipped out there, who's doing all the quality control to make sure they are indeed using the ink you sent, or not diluting it, etc.?

BananaSlug

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I've just finished my OEM ink in my Canon i960 and replaced it with the Arrow carts. Even with all of the setting above the results were garbage. I'm going to try using Canon photo magenta with the rest of the Arrow ink and hope for the best.

BananaSlug

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Well, that did it. Photos were coming out way too dark and pink with the Arrow cart. Looks as good as a full set of Canon ink now.

RC

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Formulabs sells about 10 different formulas of ink for the Canon printers.

From the information I am getting, some of these sellers are using the BCI-5 formula, which makes prints yellow and green.

I would suggest that people buy just the ink and refill themselves.

The BCI-6 Formula prints on the red/magenta side which is completely the appeased of the results everyone is getting.

Some vendors may be selling BCI-3 or BCI-3e ink, instead of BCI-6.

Robert