T125 cart w/wet sensor under chip

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
Is there anybody out there selling a chip I could use on these OEM carts that would ignore the wet sensor. How are the remanufacturers handling this . They must have a way of getting around the wet sensor.???

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
pearlhouse said:
Is there anybody out there selling a chip I could use on these OEM carts that would ignore the wet sensor. How are the remanufacturers handling this . They must have a way of getting around the wet sensor.???
The only answer is for you to use compatibles that dont have the wet chip in them and put the rest down to experience.
what you guys are saying is that these completely empty carts that I have are scrap. This internal "wet sensor" cannot be replaced so the printer will always reject it
Its a cruel answer I know but that is how Epson wants to play it. :hit

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
Hat, I hear what you are saying and thats probably the thing to do and chalk it up to experience, but ------ like I said what are the REmanufacturers doing with their carts. I still believe there is an answer out there somewhere. So I guess I will keep on looking and meanwhile pick up some compatibles. Can someone out there recommend a good set available at a very low price. Trying to keep the price down for my friend because right now hes not happy about this whole situation. Ive been bugging him for years to go to refilling and I finally get him interested and now its going to cost him an arm and a leg. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$:idunno

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
How do they do it???? They don't! Remanufacturers are going to go through the trouble of dissecting these types of carts ( With Wet sensors ) simply to resell.
It's just too much trouble as they would almost have to charge as much for the cart as for a new OEM one.
You will find refillables but not remanufactured ones
Just out of curiosity, just how were you planning to refill your OEM carts again?
Only certain Epson carts can be properly and correctly refilled by the end user.
I refill certain Epson OEM carts for a few of my many printers. Not all Epson carts are good candidates for refilling. Specially the ones with wet sensors.

I produced a video on just that very subject using one way refill valves from Rjettek.com
This is truly the ONLY way to properly refill an OEM Epson cart. And then only a few Cart #s are suitable for this method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB8QspjBbhk

Hope this helps

PS: Can you tell us the Cart # of the empties your friend gave you?

Thanks

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
The cart nos are T125 1,2,3,4, According to the people I bought the ink from (printerfillingstation.com)they also say these are very hard to refill and they do not recomend refilling OEM carts but they do give instructions on how one might do this with a lot of patience. By drilling a hole on the top of the cart where it says push. You drill thru 2 sections of plastic about 1/4" deep. Then very slowly inject ink into this hole until you get air bubbles coming back through the same hole. They also show another method of drilling 2 holes in the same area but keeping them closer to the side of the cart that has the label on it. One for refilling and one for allowing displaced air to bubble out. They gave weights of a new full one to use as a guide for filling by weight. 30 grams for a new full one. This is wrong and must be for another type of cart. I got a new one from my friend and weighed it at 24.2 grams. They also gave a weight of minimum 21 grams or the wet sensor will deactivate and the cart will be useless. Seeing as their full weight for a new cart was way off I can only guess the min 21 grams is not right either. Right now Im trying to refill the lightest carts at around 19.4 grams as a test to see.

I tried the single hole method but could hardly get any ink in without getting air bubbles back out around the needle. So I drilled the hole bigger to give more room around the needle for the air to escape. I am now trying a 1/8 dia. hole and with patience I have been able to refill one full set to about 24+ grams. What I did learn by trial and error was to first seal the port where the ink goes into the printer head and also reseal the vent on the bottom that comes OEM with a seal on it. After doing this with aluminum tape I am able to fill the carts very slowly. I then seal the top fill hole after 12 hours of allowing the cart to sit and hopefully purging itself of any air in the chambers. Before I started to refill these carts I used a resetter for the 9 pin carts and reset all of them. So now I have a complete set ready to install. I dont know when I will get a chance to try these because his printer will not be available for a week or so. By the way I did find a remanufacturer that has refilled OEM carts. ( I think they are OEM carts) So I wonder what they did about the wet sensor.
http://www.meritline.com/epson-t125-ink-remanufactured-standard-yield-pigment-combo-4---p-78386.aspx

I popped a chip off a cart as you did in your video and checked the the two contacts on the sensor for continuity and found nothing, on a cart that was empty about 19.3 grams. The two contacts on the wet sensor appear to line up with the outside contacts on each side of the chip on the bottom row. This must be how the wet sensor sends its info through the chip to the printer. After doing this I checked a new cart that had not been installed at these same two contacts expecting to find continuity between these two contacts, but no such luck. So the wet sensor does not use continuity as a way of signaling the printer. I also checked all possible combinations of the 9 contacts for continuity but found none. So now Im not sure what to think. I guess I may have to open up one of these wet sensors to see whats on the back side of it that detects the wetness.
STAY TUNED.!! :cool:

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Let us know of your findings of the exploratory surgery.
On the refilling instructions. If you go back to my discussion in the video of the R1900 cart w/ wet sensor, notice I also tell you to drill through two layers of plastic, where is says PUSH on the label.
But here is the kicker. You simply cannot just inject / dribble ink into the cart. There are hidden chambers all along the maze that will NOT fill up by simply dripping or injecting ink into the upper hole you create.
You MUST force the ink through the cartridge. Thus pushing out ALL the air that is surely trapped inside as the cart empties.
You also must seal the air vent grid located on the underside of the cart, across from the exit port.
In my view, it's not worth the effort.

And the now the final kicker. I do not know of any resetter for these chips. In fact the refillable carts that are available use the Battery powered chip that you much reset by shorting out the two round terminals on the upper edge of the chip. Just like on the R2000 and R3000 refillables.

Take a look: http://store.inkjetcarts.us/categories.aspx?Keyword=T125

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
I hear what you are saying but I must say that once I opened the hole up to 5/32 dia it was fairly easy to inject the ink slowly. I just finished filling 2 carts that started out at 19.5 grams and filled them to 23.8 and 24.2 grams. I weighted a new cart at 24.2 so for all practical purposes both carts were just about full, so Im not sure how much air was actually trapped in the cart. To seal the 5/32 hole I believe I may have come up with a new find on how to seal it. Originaly the first method I found for sealing top filled canon carts was to use a set screw, but I found the threads in the plasctic were not leak proof. So I gave up on the screws. But today I tried a #10-24 set screw in the 5/32 hole but I put a little removable loctite thread sealant on the threads and then installed the screw. After about 2 hours I turned the cart up side down and waited for 3 hours and when I checked there was no sign of leakage around the screw. So I need to try this method on a few more carts to prove it out but this may be the answer to sealing these drilled holes. Until I get to try these carts out in the printer Im going to be on hold for now. I checked out the site you posted about the battery operated chips and found it to be very interesting. The prices on these seems very economical so this will definitely be a way to keep the cost down of refilling these things. So for now Im going to be on hold but please keep subscribed to this topic for future results I will post.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Those carts are pretty light. My T034s that I use on the video weigh in at 41-42 Grams when full. I think the T034 cart itself is much heavier than some others even when empty.

As I said, you can indeed refill those carts with wet sensors that have to be filled from the top. The problem is of course that you simply cannot let the ink levels get to the point where the ink monitor warns you.

Use these and you will not have any sealing problems.

http://www.rjettek.com/s.nl/sc.7/category./.f?search=1963

This is what I use with 100% results.

The problem is these new carts that Epson is using on their newer printers, do not yet have a way to reset the OEM chip.
So you are pretty much forced to use refillables using the chips I showed you on that previous link.

The 3rd party people will solve that but only if there is enough user demand.