T125 cart w/wet sensor under chip

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
Just going to start refilling these carts for a friend. He has given me about 20 empties he has been saving. Now I find out if the cart is completely empty this "wet sensor that can detect when all the ink is used up, supposedly makes the cart useless??? Is this true? If so does anyone have a way of getting around this thing? I just bought $60 some dollars of ink and a resetter for this guy and now I have to tell him his carts arnt refillable because he ran them dry. Boy, hes not going like me very much. If the cart is refilled, is it still usable without the printer showing how much ink is in it, or does the printer completely reject the cart and then refuse to print. Please somebody give me some good news about this. :(

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Unfortunately once they reach a point where the wet sensor no longer senses wet ink it either shorts out of simply refuses to be reset even through it will look like you resetter is working.

The Carts for The R1900 also have that sensor.
I was able to refill one of them after installing a one way refill valve from Rjetteck and I made sure that the chip still read about 20% so it worked. But it would not have worked had I let it go dry.

Sorry.

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
so can I still use the refilled cart even though the resetting didnt work because it was used til it was completely dry. Or will the printer completely reject it and not print.????????????????

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I cannot tell you as I have not tried to reset, refill and re use a cart whose chip with wet sensor was declared dry. I believe that it will not be recognized. That's the whole idea behind the system though Epson will tell you otherwise.

cwongtech

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
jtoolman said:
I cannot tell you as I have not tried to reset, refill and re use a cart whose chip with wet sensor was declared dry. I believe that it will not be recognized. That's the whole idea behind the system though Epson will tell you otherwise.
I'm not sure whether Epson even use a wet sensor or whether some of the chips just use a print-count to declare a cartridge empty...
The 3rd party chips that I use (from ebay) don't have wet sensors for sure, I haven't pulled apart an OEM cart yet to see if it's got a wet sensor. But the 3rd party chip had a little battery behind it, so I suggest anyone using 3rd party chips, don't stock up on them too much as the little batteries do have the potential to running flat (and possibly that may be what causes an "error" in the chip (when it's near empty) instead of reading the 3rd party cartridges ever reading "Empty")

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
The OEM Epson carts for the R1900 and I believe the R2880 absolutely do have one.
I've dissected the chip. The chip itself sits over the circuitry that leads to the inner ink chamber where the sensor lives. As to what actually happens to the chip when the sensor reads DRY I am not expert enough to comment on.

cwongtech

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
jtoolman said:
The OEM Epson carts for the R1900 and I believe the R2880 absolutely do have one.
I've dissected the chip. The chip itself sits over the circuitry that leads to the inner ink chamber where the sensor lives. As to what actually happens to the chip when the sensor reads DRY I am not expert enough to comment on.
Ah, I'm using a T133/T138, which is the regional cart for Australia for T125 (since the American NX430 uses T125, and the Australian NX430 uses T133)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
cwongtech said:
I'm not sure whether Epson even use a wet sensor or whether some of the chips just use a print-count to declare a cartridge empty...
The 3rd party chips that I use (from ebay) don't have wet sensors for sure, I haven't pulled apart an OEM cart yet to see if it's got a wet sensor.
Jtoolman has pulled apart the Epson cartridges and he knows that they are using a wet chip system to prevent the refilling of their OEM cartridges..
jtoolman said:
I cannot tell you as I have not tried to reset, refill and re use a cart whose chip with wet sensor was declared dry.
I believe that it will not be recognized. That's the whole idea behind the system though Epson will tell you otherwise.
Joe didnt mention anything about 3rd party chips but was referring exclusively on the Epson chips.

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
So I guess what you guys are saying is that these completely empty carts that I have are scrap. This internal "wet sensor" cannot be replaced so the printer will always reject it and refuse to print???

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
The R1900 cart I dissected showed that the actual terminals are part of the cart, and can not as far as I know be altered.
The chip itself looks normal from the front but directly behind it are two spring loaded chrome colored tiny contacts which are integrated into the chip itself.

And to answer your last question. Yes I am afraid so.

8056_img_0494.jpg

8056_img_0493.jpg