Switching The Cartridge Chip On PGI & CLI Canon Refills

graybeard47

kickbox
Reaction score
I've read the work work-around in using unchipped refills or refilling the OEMs but have a general question: How does the transferring of the chip of the OEM to an after-market unchipped refilled cartridge reset the ink leveling monitor on the printer?

The battery operated chip resetters I follow but am not seeing the simplicity of the above.

Thank you

brendo1988

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
the simple answer is, It doesn't.

When you swap chips, the printer still thinks you have the original empty cart in the printer still. You will get a message on screen saying " ink out, Continuing to print will damge print head and void warranty" (or words to that effect)

You simply push okay and hold the stop/reset button for 10 seconds. This disables the chip!

Note that when you disable the chip, you can no longer have the function to monitor ink levels, you'll have to do it manually, Unless you wish to purchase a chip resetter.

This video shows you how it is done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKlCEg5-r8E

graybeard47

kickbox
Reaction score
Instead of the chip resetter or a replacement cartridge with a chip, is there any web site that new chips can be purchased from if one went with a refill kit on the empties?

Thank you

brendo1988

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You can buy compatible carts with a new chip/reset chip on them but as far as I know you cant buy new chips by themselves.

Your best option is a chip resetter

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I recommend refilling only Canon original cartrdiges. For the PGI and CLI chipped cartridges, I recommend not refilling until your warranty expires. By that time you will have a supply of empty Canon cartridges that you can refill and they will already have chips in them. I just can't see the wisdom of transferring chips to empty third-party cartridges.

brendo1988

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
because is easy and convenient if you know how to do it :D

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Canon cartridges have a superior quality unmatched by any after market manufacturer and the double sponge technology is patented and therefore not to be seen in other cartridges. They last almost forever -sometimes they need a flush- until the chip will broke down.......

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Brendo1988,

You're right about these alternatives. However: if these cartridges are flushed, will the sponge become completely white as in the case with original cartridges ? I do not like to waste a lot of plastic, therefore I like to refill my cartridges instead of buying new cartridges.
I believe C&G stopped producing those double density sponge cartridges after Canon threaten to sue them because of this patent infringement.

brendo1988

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
That sounds like canon, They love to sue :D But yeah, Ive never used those compatibles, so I don't really know the answer.

imo, I think that they wouldn't come as clean as the original ones as the material used to make the sponges probably isn't the same.

But you're right. If you're refilling, the best bet is to use originals.

I used to refill alot, But lately ive been using compatibles more because Im at uni and dont really have too much spare time at the moment. That and I only have one set of originals to refill and I print alot for university and id hate to run out half way and need to refill. Compatibles are much more convenient, but when Im finished uni I plan on going back to refilling full time again. For the moment ill stick with my ink power compatibles!