swap brand new canon ip 4600 for ip 4500

dino88

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hi, ive dealt with epson r800 with cis for 3 years now , ive changed around 6 machines and cis , the headache and mess it caused me was unbelievable . ive tried cleaning them ,chip reseting ,taking air out of the cis drilling holes in the epson for the ink waste ,program reseseting .everything worked for a while ,then i had enough , my freind advised me to get a canon ip 4500 and work just with original cartriges since i only print on cds,and like a fool i went and got a newer model ip4600 thinking it be better , until i came onto this forum i noticed that the opinion of the ip 4600 is bad . so i know someone whos got an ip 4500 and i asked him to swap with my ip 4600. hes had it for about a year and hasnt really used it that much , he just got it if he needed to print something . so what do u people think should i swap ????

Token

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums dino88!

If his printer is working fine, and its in good condition (no blocked nozzles, all the parts including cd tray are working etc), then yes, i would swap. The ip4500 prints faster, is quieter and is easier to refill (ip4500 has larger cartridges and has a chip resetter available).

If he is ok with swapping, then, by all means, go for it. If he prints only sparingly, the benefits of the ip4500 over the ip4600 will be mostly lost to him, but they will be greatly appreciated by you.

Using a CISS can be a pain, but you dont need to work with only original cartridges: it is very expensive to do, and you can get exactly the same printout quality using top quality refill ink (search the forums and the FAQ for more info- theres a bucketload of information on refilling and which ink to get).

So, good luck with your swapping, and make sure to keep the forum posted with what happens!

Token

dino88

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
thx Token for the advice mate . when u say refill ink we talking about cis right ?

Token

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
No, you dont need to use a ciss. You can refill the individual cartridges, then reset the chips on them, so that the printer thinks theyre brand new full cartridges (so that ink monitoring works).

From what ive read, ciss for canon printers can be more pain than its worth. go here http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2465&p=1 : this is the method that most people use.

I had a ciss for my ip3500, but it was a complete pain, and i never managed to get it to work properly, but now i have switched to refilling using the above method and it works without a hitch.

Token

dino88

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
ahhhhh .... thats looks so easy . bro can this be done with epson ? or are the cartridges diferent ?

dino88

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
looks way better than cis and cleaner

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
dino88 said:
ahhhhh .... thats looks so easy . bro can this be done with epson ? or are the cartridges diferent ?
Epson cartridges are so far different that it's like asking if the moon is a continent in Africa.. :)

Canon don't try to stop you refilling (besides the chip which really just tells them they can't assure the customer it's genuine, full, etc..).

Epson on the other hand have spent inordinate amounts of money on anti-refilling technology and design in their cartridges. Anything that even tempts a customer to use something other than Epson OEM cartridges and ink is just verboten in Epson land.

Good luck with the iP4500 though.. it's a nice unit :)