suitable cleaning fluid

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
plimsol said:
yes indeed, but in the dump i live in if you ask for isopropyl alcohol they look at you as if you are an alcoholic, have tried vodka but not with any success..
Here is a link to "MSDS" on isopropyl alcohol (http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/i8840.htm).
MSDS said:
Ingestion:
Can cause drowsiness, unconsciousness, and death. Gastrointestinal pain, cramps, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea may also result. The single lethal dose for a human adult = about 250 mls (8 ounces).
It is certainly not suitable for drinking - this is the stuff that they use in a doctor's office to sterilize a site before giving an injection (also known as "rubbing alcohol"). I buy "70% by volume" at my local grocery store for about $1 for a 16 oz bottle. Maybe you are trying to buy ultrapure stuff from a pharamacy.

plimsol

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
thanks grandad, we live in hick country (the american expression i think)but problem solved as far as the isopropanol is concerned, i have found a pharmaceutical co. on the net that supply it.
hugo

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Granddad35 once posted the source for the Windex MSDS (data sheet required by the US govt which states all ingredients). I believe it was on the Johnson Wax web site. There is very little ammonia in it. The major ingredient is water with a fairly small percentage of alcohol. Add some blue dye to make you think you are buying something more than water with a few cents worth of other ingredients and you have the original windex. Water, 10 to 20 percent alcohol, and a hint of ammonia would probably do the trick. For a second round of cleaning if that doesn't clear the clog you could boost the percent of alcohol and add another few drops of ammonia. Starting with fairly hot water before adding the alcohol and ammonia wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
There's no magic in finding MSDS data - just google "MSDS Windex" (without the quotes), or whatever product you are looking for.

Lilla

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
In this article titled The Magic Solution For Inkjet Clogs here it states...

Have you ever been told that Windex (A popular glass cleaner in the US also popular in the UK is Windolene) works great for dissolving dried ink? Well if you haven't heard it before I am telling you now. However, it is not the "Magic Solution", but it's close.
Below, the author gives a formula for making your own Windex substitute...

If your print head is not removable you can inject a diluted ammonia mix (10% ammonia and 90% de-ionized water, or just use Windex) into an empty cartridge and run print head cleanings to get the solution into the print head.
For clogs that don't respond to windex (and other normal methods), he recommends ammonia. He doesn't say, but I've read that clear non-sudsing forumula should be used.
Most of the toughest clogs can be fixed by soaking the print head in a bowl of a 50/50% solution of ammonia and water overnight. If that doesn't work you can soak it in pure ammonia for up to 1 hour then a 100% water rinse.
You'll want to read the entire article.

Lilla

plimsol

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
many thanks, will give it a thrash,I did look at windolene but no mention of ammonia on the label nor could i smell ammonia but what the hell, nothing to lose, thanks,hugo

CanonPhreak

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score

plimsol

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
pj, thanks, got some isopropynol off the net after all that, am current trying 50/50 distilled water and ammonia, seems to have worked for one of my printheads so far.
hugo

AlienSteve

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 3000CP Epson 1280 4800 7600
fotofreek said:
Granddad35 once posted the source for the Windex MSDS (data sheet required by the US govt which states all ingredients). I believe it was on the Johnson Wax web site. There is very little ammonia in it. The major ingredient is water with a fairly small percentage of alcohol. Add some blue dye to make you think you are buying something more than water with a few cents worth of other ingredients and you have the original windex. Water, 10 to 20 percent alcohol, and a hint of ammonia would probably do the trick. For a second round of cleaning if that doesn't clear the clog you could boost the percent of alcohol and add another few drops of ammonia. Starting with fairly hot water before adding the alcohol and ammonia wouldn't be a bad idea, either.
I use 1 part nonsudsing clear household ammonia, 4 parts clear isopropyl alcohol, 5 parts distilled water. You can skip the isopropyl if you wish and use 1 part ammonia to 9 parts water.

Just to clarify for everyone: I don't think he means mix hot water with alcohol and ammonia, I think he means try using just hot water to clean first.

If you mix those with hot water, the alcohol and ammonia will evaporate. Ammonia is a gas dissolved in water, and of course alcohol is a liquid with a low vapor point.